Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Agility drills?

taco101

I took a look at what is slowing me down in matches. Shooting stuff I'm addressing with Anderson's dry fire books and a bunch of time in the living room with a timer...

But I think a bunch of time could be saved by being quicker and more agile. To that end, my wife and I have been at the park working on short explosive accelerations, direction changes, and getting into and out of shooting boxes faster.

What other drills have worked for you?

If you want to increase your short explosive acceleration, I recommend you start oly lifting. Very complex movement, expect to invest a lot of time and energy learning, but well worth the effort. A knowledgeable coach is great, but you can learn it on your own if you really want to...I did.

Edited by Jake Di Vita

I like to do my agility drills with a gun in my hand, alot of it is different adaptations of anderson's 'call it and leave it' drill. It's helping me develop a habit of staying lower, pushing off more aggressively, and starting to stabilize as I come into position.

I find that drills that have me going back and forth several times seem to work better for burning in the habits and figuring out what works, as opposed to just starting somewhere and moving to somewhere else once. If I go back and forth 5 times, and time the whole sequence, it is easier to find the movement strategies that result in speed gains. Also I end up getting at least somewhat of a workout.

We did a zig-zag pattern with 6 small cones and a "finger gun" to help with muzzle awareness. I am quite sore after so some adaptation is occurring. I like the oly lift idea. Any books or video's that would help learn the right way?

Yeah, absolutely there's tons. Lots of Youtube stuff. I think anything from Mike Burgener is fantastic for the actual lifts. For increasing range of motion and also tons of analysis to the whys and hows of how humans are meant to move, anything from Kelly Starrett.

So yesterday was our first match since digging into the agility drills. I felt faster and was much closer in times to the GM that won the match than the month before! I will continue working hard on this. That was fun!

I recently got back in the gym after two years of being lazy and I must say I have seen the biggest improvement since starting to shoot a year ago. Its amazing how being able to move faster and keeping the gun flatter will make you a better shooter.

yep, i look at what nfl receivers do for drills. or just generic speed and agility drills. so lots of ply, cones, ladders. i think it does help as well and is a low hanging fruit.

also just in regular life, being fitter only helps.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been on a crossfit kit for about 10 weeks now. Finally hurt myself Thursday night. Was doing back sqauts and was on a 3 rep max set and got a little forward on the last rep. When I corrected my lower back went ouch. Could not even sleep Thursday night from the pain. It's back to 50% today.

Be very careful starting Olympic weight lifting without a coach...I found its almost impossible to critique your own form when you are under load.

The good news is many crossfit boxes are now catering to new lifters and offering real training included in the monthly membership. The WOD has been both beneficial and brutal at the same time. Many days I have found myself face down on the floor drooling...

I keep going back because I see the results....after 50 I really needed to regain some strength.

Most shooters can dramatically increase their speed running a stage by 1) being quicker entering and leaving positions, and 2) being quicker once you get to a position, to acquire the target and release the shot. The same for exiting - as soon as you call your last shot, immediately explode to the next position.

That quickness can be improved with dry fire in your garage/basement/back yard. Set up a couple of targets and positions to shoot them from. Work on getting into each position, breaking the shots, then quickly getting to the next position. You can use only two positions and just go back and forth.

• 4 weeks later...

One that I've been working on at home; Lateral Drill: Two shooting positions about 6 feet apart, start in one, on the beep draw and dry fire at 3 simulated 15m targets. Move to the other and engage the same targets. I move back and forth 4 times. Movement should be as aggressive as you can make it. Hands stay coupled (gun held in front of face) and movement stays lateral.

The other drill is very similar but the shooting positions are 20-30 feet apart. This time hands are uncoupled and movement is turn and burn than lateral.

I have been doing burpees since the Army days. I do them now, too. Drop down, do x number of pushups, pop up again, do a small leap and then a higher leap, and/or maybe x number of squats. You can get your heart going and your main pushing muscles warmed up very fast this way. It will help for the kind of agility you need for stages where you have to get down and back up again, plus it will improve overall foot speed.