Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do you shoot better when you are with better shooters?

I prefer to shoot with a squad of good shooters, preferably with at least several better than me and who have spirit and energy for the game. Division doesn't matter. The energy and skill pulls me forward into my own skill set, and I usually perform better. Do have to watch the tendency to go too fast, but that's true anywhere.

On the other hand, shooting in a squad where I'm the best one drags me backward some, and I don't do as well.

Edited by teros135

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I think I shoot better with shooters that are more fun to be around. My top stage finishes as a newish shooter have been when I'm relaxed and having a good time and joking around. Get serious when it's your turn but know if you mess up well all get a laugh out of it.

Sent from my HTC Desire Eye using Tapatalk

I think I shoot better with shooters that are more fun to be around. My top stage finishes as a newish shooter have been when I'm relaxed and having a good time and joking around. Get serious when it's your turn but know if you mess up well all get a laugh out of it.

Sent from my HTC Desire Eye using Tapatalk

Yup,

I'd rather squad with better people than better shooters.

As nice as it can be to get a new perspective on stage breakdown, it's pointless if it is someone aloof who is either condescending or doesn't want to talk. But for sure it's all about shooting your own game.

• 2 years later...

I personally love shooting with shooters above my skill level I learn a lot just by wanching and tend to push myself a bit more but I understand about being intimidated however Inhave c0me to learn most shooters are there to have fun and most to- tier shoots will go out of there way to help and little secret I learned most people won’t care how good or bad another person shoots they are to focused on what they are doing 

Beneficial to shoot with others about 1 or 2 levels above.  BUT for me it's more important to squad with guys who will share the work load.  It's a real buzz kill to squad with a group who won't/can't run a timer or ipad.  Even worse if they don't help on the stage!

On 7/22/2018 at 5:24 PM, pskys2 said:

BUT for me it's more important to squad with guys who will share the work load.  It's a real buzz kill to squad with a group who won't/can't run a timer or ipad.  Even worse if they don't help on the stage!

Good shooters are a dime a dozen, good workers are very, very, precious indeed :) !!

If I am on a selfish shooters squad I get distracted and in the wrong mental place from being aggravated, and shooting also suffers from working when I ought to have time to prepare for shooting. 

Else, a good day is when I stay focused on the process, play my own game, and do not let myself get lazy. 

No, I don't necessarily shoot better with better shooters.  A couple of my best matches this year were with, trying to be nice here, not-better shooters.  And I have gotten a bit nervous at other matches where shooters I really look up to were RO'ing for me.

I'd say I shoot better when with a squad, regardless of their shooting skill level, who aren't creating distractions.

I like to shoot with guys that want to do well. Doesn't matter their level.

I stay away from people who don't help reset.

I stay away from people with bad attitudes. If you're constantly telling me about your misses, and mistakes and how everything went wrong, I'm not going to want to shoot with you.

If you get nothing else out of shooting with better shooters...watch and learn!

When I first started, I felt intimidated shooting in a squad with a bunch of better shooters.  But after a few times I found that it was actually helpful to watch the better shooters and see what they are doing that got them where they are.  Currently, I'm a C class shooter starting to post B classifiers and my average should push me into B class shortly.  I still enjoy shooting with those classed below me and try to pass on some tips, but I think I help my own game when I shoot with those above my level and watching M and GM shooters can be fun and rewarding.

I think the hardest thing about shooting with guys at way higher skill levels that I am is losing my own pace. I know how fast I can go on certain arrays, but watching the GMs blast through tends to up my pace and I start to lose acceptable split times on danger targets and even open targets. Although this is not a good thing, it also forces me to focus more on my own mental game and stick to my pace. 

I purposely squad with the local ballers to learn and ask as many questions as I can, without being annoying... Haha. At first, I definitely tried to shoot 120% of my skill and the wheels would come off on the regular. Can control that a lot better and now will take cues from stage plans and adapt on the fly leading to better results. Am also the type that wants to have a north star for development and those guys definitely provide that by way of performance.

Short answer...yes. Dont let their faster speed influence you to shoot faster than you can. Rather, watch how they break a stage down and conquer it. Observe their form, their foot work, how they take barriers, etc... those are the direct skills you can learn by shooting with better shooters. I can't keep track of the number of times I changed my stage plan after watching someone else execute something better than what I cooked up.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/19/2016 at 5:21 PM, mreed911 said:

I'll watch and see if how they run a stage matched up with my plan and take tips that way.

This is exactly why I like shooting w/GM's and M's - watch their plans and execution. I know I can't keep up speed wise but the plan and movement is what I want to see. This past Sunday I was shooting w/3 Gm's and one M and 2 of the 4 came up to me after 2 stages and complimented me on movement and smoothness. I ended up pretty high on those stages but then crashed and burned on a couple others - not by trying to replicate them though - I did it all on my own ?

I used to think so, but now I realize I have fun with them, but I relied too much on them. Have to see the stage how you see it and shoot your strengths not someone else’s. It does help with something occasionally if someone see something you don’t, but you are more apt to try something that works for them, not you. Example, you reload better and faster left to right than right to left or haven’t practiced very much the opposite way. This could get you in trouble once the magic mind eraser sounds and your brain goes to mush. Lol

Starting out I used to let the pressure of shooting with much better people get to me and I would rush myself.

With experience I've learned to relax and focus on shooting against myself more than others. The folks in my area are by in large a very helpful bunch as well, and they share their experience.

I benefit from shooting with those who have superior skills.  In my case, those folks aren't hard to find! :)

I find I tend to focus more carefully on my stage planning by copying the better shooters, and typically, I do not allow distractions to negatively affect me as much as when I am shooting with with less skilled shooters.

Even as just an average M I rise and fall somewhat to the level of those around me. If I'm on a squad of C and B shooters I do worse than on a squad of M and GM's. Now, I know that's on me but it is what happens. Strictly speaking at a major match where I probably don't know most of whom I'm squaded with.

Edited by rowdyb

Well hell, have to agree with Rowdy, just got back from Utah. Shot with an awesome squad and had a great them. Found that I wasn’t pushing myself like I do with the guys that I normally shoot with who are better than me. That is all on me and nothing on the others. I also find that if you have people in the same division it helps as well. 

The best thing about this sport is learning about yourself and meeting new great people! If you ever get the opportunity to shoot the Utah State Championship, make it happen, great match and great bunch of match staff and shooters!