Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do you shoot better when you are with better shooters?

I'm a "C" class shooter...only shoot limited class...I have found when I am squaded with shooters above my class I tend to get intemidated and shoot poorly...but shoot a lil better when I'm with average shooters...anyone else?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's another thread around here about this, but I'll say this: as a C class shooter chasing B, I tend to do better in squads with A & B shooters. I can see a few things they're doing differently than I am. The M/GM shooters are doing too much too fast for me to follow quite yet.

That said, I'd rather be squadded with a M/GM from my Division than A's or B's from another Division. Shooting Single Stack, I'll watch and see if how they run a stage matched up with my plan and take tips that way.

Thanks I no more got this one typed and seen the other thread..lol. .but I do see myself trying to keep up with the higher classified shooters which hurts me in the end

Agreed. I don't try to keep up with them, I watch them to see what they're doing differently than I am (when I can tell) and I ask them. I've had SEVERAL give me good feedback, e.g. "on that last target where you charlie-miked after a reload, your grip looked sloppy - you rushed it." That's REALLY helpful. Once I'm out there, though, I'm shooting against myself and looking for the accuracy and speed to get me the HF I need for the next step up.

Depends ... :mellow:

If I shoot with friendly better shooters, they will sometimes offer great

suggestions that help. :bow:

But, I've also shot with a few "better shooters" who were not too

friendly - didn't help a bit. :ph34r:

I got the most out of a local shooter who is just a bit better than me -

we discussed the COF's and made plans to shoot beyond what I

normally would have - and it works, sometimes. :cheers:

But, I LOVE to shoot, now and then, with newbies who can't believe

how "good" I am - and ask for my help. :closedeyes:

Probably depends on how I feel that particular day, also. :cheers:

I used to be drawn into racing with other people and trying to shoot as fast as better shooters which usually leads to poor results. I now am much better at ignoring what others do. What someone else is doing doesn't change what you can do so it really becomes a mental game of just doing your best and ignoring everything else.

I think the odds of it improving your results are slim. Maybe you see a stage plan you hadn't thought of. Maybe. Shooting with them has its dangers however.

Most of my buddies are GM/M shooters. I.......am not. It takes a certain discipline to know if you have the skill sets to plagiarize their stage plan, to not pay attention to the cadence you hear everyone shooting at and to not shoot faster than you can so you look like you "belong" on the squad. That said I like shooting with my friends and I like seeing great shooters run stages. I just can't say it improves my results.

Always makes you better, unless you assume that the plan they execute is right for you, sometimes it beyond your skill level.

Now I'm not saying that it isn't the better plan( and one you should aspire to successfully execute at some point in time) just not the better plan at that specific time. Speed it up as far as it goes with the wheels about to spin off, then let off a bit.

I've had to find a missing wheel on a stage now and then

Regardless of who is on your squad, you can only shoot your game. I have seen a lot of folks crash when trying to keep up with better shooters.

Like Kozy, trying to keep up with Scott... Or is that the other way around?

;)

Regardless of who is on your squad, you can only shoot your game. I have seen a lot of folks crash when trying to keep up with better shooters.

;)

Seems like it depends on the day. Lately he has been schooling my ass. That stops this weekend. :)

;)

Seems like it depends on the day. Lately he has been schooling my ass. That stops this weekend. :)

I miss racing Kozy... Makes life tough for a production shooter...

;)

Ill try harder.

As the B-Class friend of several GM/M shooters, I'd say that I shoot better with them than without. Their understanding of the process and personal rituals lends itself towards a great match.

;)

Well if ya will move down here we can both beat up on you on the regular. :roflol:

Edited by Shadyscott999

What I have learned is to shoot my own match and not someone elses . With me being newer I soak up so much from all directions and if I try and emulate what the better shooters are doing I lose focus of my game plan . My skillset will develop over time . I watch how better shooters break down stages , other than that I just do my own thing .

Dittos here LMR. I'm at the newb point where I shoot my own game, and just absorb what I see if I think it's working. :-) Lots of folks are better than I am so I can't help but shoot with them.