Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

whacky diet my Dr made me do for the ole ticker...

librarian45

very long story very short.

gained lotta fat, exercized, tracked calories, no joy.

see dr.

lotta tests.

"dude everything is bad, here's a special diet"

6 months later i'm down from 228 at 33% body fat to 204 at 25%

move faster

sleep better

everything better

DIET:

Ketogenic

max 20g carbs a day

most calories from fat

moderate protein

no artificial anything

NO BOOZE.

TL;DR

stop eating carbs, start eating fat, you'll shrink and you can run stages faster.

It's a great way to go and not too hard to stay on. I did it recently, was hardcore about it for about a month and lost 25 lbs. now am eating a little more carbs and sugar but still keeping them much lower than before.

• 2 weeks later...

DIET:

most calories from fat

:surprise:

Not sure what the theory behind a high fat diet is?

Seems counterintuitive, to me?

Are these animal fats? or vegetable oils? :cheers:

Fat keeps you feeling full longer than carbs so you eat less. Plus it tastes good, and doesn't actually do all the bad things that people said it did back in the 1990s.

Is this sort of a high fat Paleo diet? Or a more restrictive Atkins diet?

Pretty much the former. It tricks your body into burning fat for energy instead of carbs/sugar.

There are some risks and certain people arent good candidates for it.. but the research is interesting.

I lost 30+ following a similar plan, probably more paleo than keto, but a combination and tracked calories to make sure I stayed under what my burn was. I need to get back on the wagon. I felt good and slept better, just like the OP.

Eliminating most carbs, nearly all sugars, and booze is wrapped up in a lot of "diets"

Good work fellas! Good advice I got was to Just make it part of a new lifestyle ( forever) and pick up an active hobby to go along with shooting. Mountain biking works for me.

If you stick to very low carbs and sugar your body goes in to ketosis and no longer derives your energy from glucose but from fat in the form of ketones. Gives you a much more even energy level no insulin spikes and crashes from carbs and sugar.

I'm no dietician but to go into ketosis requires zero carbs for an extended time is my understanding.

There's all kinds of weird variations though.

I see lots of paleo eaters. Zero sugar, only carbs are sweet potato, almond flour etc. those guys never go keto, but they sure get ripped.

I hate it though when a hardcore paleo guy gets assigned to my company as we then all gotta do paleo dinners.

Paleo is a Sioux word for "tastes like sh!t"

I try to stick to single digit grams of carbs and sugar per day and can get back in to ketosis with 48 hours of cheating. I have some strips that you can test the level of ketones. I know how quickly it happens or how sensitive your body is can change those numbers a lot though depending on the person.

Is this sort of a high fat Paleo diet? Or a more restrictive Atkins diet?

I'm on the susan atkins diet. I'd kill for a sammich. :devil:

I suspect that different people have different metabolic needs. I eat tons of carbs (grains, rice, beer, etc...) and am in excellent shape, so fortunately I have no need of any diet that doesn't include beer and/or wine. I've personally experienced high/low from sugar at the wrong time (30 mins or so before exercise), but never had the slightest issue with more complex carbs, such as pizza or chile-verde burritos.

I am mildly curious to know if a body burning ketones is capable of extremely high-intensity anaerobic work, like hockey or bicycle racing, but I'm going to keep drinking beer so I won't be able to do the empirical testing myself.

Edited by motosapiens

If you are really interested, Gary Taubes has a couple good books on the subject. Interestingly, Taubes was a NY Times science writer who was shocked when a guy he knew said he'd lost a lot of weight on an Atkins style diet. Taubes first said that's supposed to be bad for you, etc, etc, but was intrigued enough to start researching it. He ended up writing a couple books that are, in my opinion, the best source on the subject.

These diets typically work best if you're in ketosis, which requires a slightly different approach for everyone. I did it by dropping carbs to < 20 g per day, and then dropping protein until I had high enough blood ketone levels (~ 80 g protein per day for me). The rest of your diet is fat (the only macronutrient left after carbs and protein).

The rest of your diet is fat

What kind of fat?

What do you eat for dinner?

I do a steak or pork chop, sausage. Some green vegetables are ok as a side

If you're interested in it check out netrition.com makes it much easier they have a bunch of low carb foods you would think you aren't able to eat. No carb dressings coffee creamers. Tortillas with 2g carbs so you can do meat and cheese in a tortilla and not just straight protein all the time. Making mix that is low enough to make bisquits pancakes etc

Edited by Garmil

The rest of your diet is fat

What kind of fat?

What do you eat for dinner?

I eat some kind of meat and a (green) veggie. The diet works best for me with fatty meats -- if its steak or pork I don't cut off the fat, if I have salmon I eat the skin. Bacon is about the perfect meat to eat on this diet with all its fat content.

Regarding getting the rest of your diet from fat, you can use plenty of butter. Also, look for salad dressings with no carbs -- they are mostly fat and you can dip your veggies, etc into these. You can eat cheese, but I try to limit that because it also has a bit of protein; same for peanut butter. Avocados are good.

I drink at least a gallon a day quote a bit more usually. I do manual labor 8-10 hours a day plus work out though. I do tend to drink more while on the keto diet because I snack less.

• 2 weeks later...

My experience has been positive and negative with a very low carb diet. I can tolerate it if I am doing more HIIT type workouts ( think crossfit or variant). I cannot tolerate it if I am doing endurance sports ( running, cycling).

• 1 year later...

+1 for the keto diet. Dropped 16 pounds in the past two weeks. Quick run down on the diet is 70% of diet from calories from fat, 25% protein, then 5% in the form of carbs from veggies; your body runs on ketone (fat) instead of glucose. After a few weeks-months your body oxidizes fat 2x faster. Other interesting tidbit is a doctor out of Duke University completely cured type 2 diabetes in dozens of patients overy the course of a few years. The Standard American Diet and it's 11 servings of grains is why we have so much obesity, diabetes, and cancer!