Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
GregSmith

Who would you have take the shot?

This is good conversation, and I have to agree with many here that I would pick a top PRS shooter. They are self-motivated to dedicate a ton of time shooting, reloading, researching and putting in the work without getting paid for it. You know that they are dedicated to the max and doing everything they can to get the absolute edge in their performance. That's just a special breed.

I will also note (good or bad) that the PRS guys are easily one of the most anal retentive, data driven, and dedicated classes of shooters out there. The barriers of entry are very steep, the learning curve is very steep, and you have to be not only a reloader, but a really, really good precision style reloader at that. You can't just get your Dillon 650 dialed in and pump out 400rds/hr. This is painstaking, meticulous and grueling at times.

1 hour ago, b2948kevin said:

This is good conversation, and I have to agree with many here that I would pick a top PRS shooter. They are self-motivated to dedicate a ton of time shooting, reloading, researching and putting in the work without getting paid for it. You know that they are dedicated to the max and doing everything they can to get the absolute edge in their performance. That's just a special breed.

I will also note (good or bad) that the PRS guys are easily one of the most anal retentive, data driven, and dedicated classes of shooters out there. The barriers of entry are very steep, the learning curve is very steep, and you have to be not only a reloader, but a really, really good precision style reloader at that. You can't just get your Dillon 650 dialed in and pump out 400rds/hr. This is painstaking, meticulous and grueling at times.

I don't know enough PRS shooters to disagree with you but I was surprised to find the group of guys I know are the opposite of bench rest type loaders. I asked about bullet weighing, sorting and pointing, primer pocket uniforming, flash hole de-burring and case sorting by weight. I got laughed at and was told when your shooting from some really retarded positions the difference between .6 moa ammo and .2 moa ammo means nothing. It sounded like they loaded practice ammo on Dillons and match ammo on single stages but didn't beleive it made any real difference in scores.

Hmm... That hasn't been my experience. The guys I shoot PRS with are super meticulous. Bullet pointing, neck turning, annealing, weight sorting, the whole nine yards. Common thought around these guys is that if you're in that weird position taking a shot, and you don't have your loads dialed you'll always wonder if if was you, or your load.

Regardless though, hats off to people with skills. I am pretty decent, but I learn or re-learn where I am weak in every match :). Sometimes it's my loads, most of the time, it's just me making dumb mistakes.

PRS shooter, for the facts mentioned above... but Horner would be an awesome choice as well.