Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide racker with sideways c-more - left or right side?

juristrosins

Building my first open gun on the basis of one of my CZ 75 TS. I plan to use sideways c-more red dot. I'm righty, btw.

And now is the question to the users of such c-more mount - what side is your slide racker on? Left or right?

Questions that bother me:

- if racker will be on the right side - will it be convenient to flip the gun and rack the slide, or do whatever it takes to load? Planty of checkmates or parrots are depicted with right side racker, even with upright c-more. Did try such type once and it was... errr... not the way I want to do it. Is it just a matter of practice and eventually I'll get used to it? Any other downsides?

- if racker will be on the left side - and CZ slide is lower than 2011, and wide safety pedal, which my thumb is resting on will be closer to the slide racker - will there be a danger to rip skin from it? Handling however seems natural to me. It wont be so fast to get the slide off.

These are the questions I could imagine. Are there any hints from you guys? Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

I am also right handed running a 90 degree mount I have the racker on the left side. Takes some practice to get use to I use my left hand over top the gun to rack the slide

Huh?

The gun I bought this weekend, Peine Custom Caspian .38 Super, Has the racker on the right. I dry fired for about an hour. I think that since its there already and its the only gun I have with a racker that I will adapt just fine. If I was building it, I think I would put in on the left. I would have to modify the CMore mount to do that now....

Building my first open gun on the basis of one of my CZ 75 TS. I plan to use sideways c-more red dot. I'm righty, btw.

And now is the question to the users of such c-more mount - what side is your slide racker on? Left or right?

- if racker will be on the right side - will it be convenient to flip the gun and rack the slide, or do whatever it takes to load? Planty of checkmates or parrots are depicted with right side racker, even with upright c-more. Did try such type once and it was... errr... not the way I want to do it. Is it just a matter of practice and eventually I'll get used to it? Any other downsides?

- if racker will be on the left side - and CZ slide is lower than 2011, and wide safety pedal, which my thumb is resting on will be closer to the slide racker - will there be a danger to rip skin from it? Handling however seems natural to me. It wont be so fast to get the slide off.

These are the questions I could imagine. Are there any hints from you guys? Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

I have my racker on my right side now that I have the sideways Cmore, and hate it. Left side is the best way to go.

And yes, I imagine with the low bore axis of a CZ it very well could be a thumb buster on the left side. I had the skin taken off my thumb a couple of times, even with my 2011. Worth it though in my opinion, because the right side racker is dumb.

For the fastest method--the slide racker should always be on the weak hand side. it props the gun on table starts, it is readily accessible by the weak hand for clearing jams. It is the fastest location for unloaded starts.

Thanks in advance!

This! :cheers:

I put a 90 mount on my DVC, which made me have to put my racker on the right. I hated it.

I bought one of the slide rackers from Shooters Connection and had my GS fit it to the slide.

Worth every penny spent.

That said, I still can't get used to running an open gun. lol

Thank you guys for sharing your experience! Since previously I was shooting in Standard (Limited) division with my TS which had stock rear sight, which I used as a slide racker, I'll give it a go with right side racker. I'll create it "Z" shaped to get that hook as far to the rear as possible to:

- eliminate as much as possible the need to reach over the gun with weak hand to load

- place the hook almost the same level as I used to with stock rear sight

- create a base for "starting from the table with weak hand" situations

Will see how it'll go.

Will update with the pics and feedback.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a 90 degree offset mount, and I'm right handed. I had no problem putting the slide racker on the left side. It works like a charm. I would try left side first, if you have problems swap it. They make extended slide rackers for 90 degree mounts.

I suspect that you own 2011 style pistols. It's slide is higher than on CZ 75 TS. When I grab the pistol my right thumbs knuckle is almost at level of racker. I do not want my skin to go off during the match or training session. Wont be pleasant surprise at all :)

I made test racker on the left side and found that this will be the issue.

With this racker style the procedure of loading is quite similar I used to with standard (non-adjustable) iron sight of TS. The only difference is that my index finger will be straight pushing the pedal (and not bent hooking sight blade). Hand position wont change.

Practice will show real situation though :)

I have one open gun that has a 90 degree mount and slide racker on the right side of the slide. Took me no time to get used to. I don't feel like it's a disadvantage compared to a left side racker at all. The only negative is when racking it tends to eject right at my head

I recently put a set back 90 mount on my 2011. Had to bend the side winder racker I had on it down a lot to clear it. Worked fine but was really close to my thumb and I had to consciously bury my thumb to make sure it didn't get hit. I got lazy and let my thumb come up just a little bit too far on one stage at PSA shootout and got me pretty good, bent my nail way back. Im taking it off now and will either get used to no racker or eventually put a right side racker back on.

kneelingatlas, on your CZ you have standard safety pedal, which is lower that one from CZCustom. With it the thumb may not be a problem in my opinion. Standart safety is too low for me and I tend to switch it on accidentally.

Nice finish on your other pistol. What is it?

Ball detent is must have thing in case of left side racker, I agree.

• 3 months later...

first thing - GREAT to see more CZ open guns. it looks like it should be great. :)

Personally I think racker on the weak hand side (left side in this case) is the only way to go.

It gives you a nice prop for table starts

much faster to grab and rack with weak hand.

the only downside is:

must be removed even with single sided scope mount (no problem if you use ball detents which I'd suggest is the best method)

can get close to thumb (especially on pistols like CZ and tanfog which have low profile slides).

as you see though it can be done neatly even on a CZ. Your method is not bad, but you still loose the nice kickstand effect for table starts and while you can train to use the right side by canting the gun it's definitely faster with it on the left side. I have had both on my guns and I MUCH prefer it on the left side (I'm right handed).

Personally I think racker on the weak hand side (left side in this case) is the only way to go.

the only downside is:

must be removed even with single sided scope mount (no problem if you use ball detents which I'd suggest is the best method)

can get close to thumb (especially on pistols like CZ and tanfog which have low profile slides).

As it was discussed earlier I really do not want any injuries to my thumb with left side racker. Thumbrest on the left side serves as a little aid to table starts. Will see it in action however.

• 5 months later...