Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

147 gr Blue Bullets, load data?

SimonStern

I am struggling to figure out load data for 147gr Blue Bullets. Apparently there's not a lot of load data available for this setup. Which I didn't realize before I bought a bunch of bullets.

I picked up HP-38, but from what I can tell, some think it's too fast a powder for the 147gr.

Does anyone have a recommendation for powder to use? And a safe starting point? I plan to make up 10 in varying powder increments (10 at each increment) and chrono it. I just don't want to blow up my gun (or my hand) in the process.

What cartridge?

Here's two

Glock 17L 9mm
Bullet: 147 gr. Blue Bullet Coated RN
Powder: Alliant Bullseye 3.25 grs. or Hodgdon Titegroup 3.2 grs.
Primer: Winchester Small Pistol
Case: Federal 9mm
LOAL: 1.145
Recoil Spring: ISMI 13 lb. recoil spring and Jager Polymer Guide Rod
Kimber Target II 38 Super
Bullet: 147 gr. Blue Bullet Coated RN
Powder: Alliant Bullseye 3.7 grs.
Primer: CCI-500
Case: PMC .38 Super +P
LOAL: 1.260
Recoil Spring: 10 lbs. (With Buffer Pad)
Edited by pbcaster45

Are you loading the flat point or round nose?

I've never tried HP-38 for 147gr, but I think it would work fine. Assuming you're not running a super short OAL, I'd start at 3.3gr.

This thread has some data:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=226728#entry2570862

Edited by rev1911

fwiw:

As mentioned above, A LOT of BE members use this combo of: HP-38/W231 & similar burn rate smokeless pistol powders topped with a coated 147 gr. bullet.

I prefer/use:

* HP-38/W231; N320 [Powder Charge Varies with each mentioned power & lot] over 124 JHP & 147 Coated 9mm bullets.

Edited by SPDGG

I had used HP-38 for all of my uncoated lead and it has always produced an accurate and clean round. I haven't been using it as much since it had been difficult to find in my area. I switched over to a coated Bullet and Tight Group, but am looking at going back since it has become available again.

How short is "too short" ? I couldn't pass the plunk test in my CZ P07 unless I seat to 1.060 with the 147gr flat point.

Edit - Actually I think I was able to pass the plunk test with 1.080.

1.060 were with 125gr lead round nose

Edited by MarilynMonbro

Blue Bullets 147 RN at 1.145 OAL.

Ramshot Silhouette 4.15 grains.

Powder is slower than most would recommend for 9mm minor but it is what I have.

Chrono at 895 fps.

PF about 130.

Gun is an M&P 5" Pro Core.

More than accurate enough for me.

• 2 weeks later...

With the Blue Bullet 147 you have to watch the weights. I was practicing at the range some months ago and felt like my loads were hotter than normal. A friend of mine was chronoing in the next bay so we shot my loads over his chrono. They were all hot with a PF of 135-137. What the hell?? Went home and checked everything and all was good with my set up, so I started weighting the bullets. The 147gr bullets all weighted 149-151, but the average was 150.

Typically with my G34 using 3.4gr of WSF I get a PF of 128-130 depending on temperature. Just for the hell of it I made up some rounds with Blues and 3.2gr of WSF and got a PF of 130.

I called Blue Bullets and asked if they knew the weights were off on the high side and they told me yes they knew the 147 was high. They said some shooters like them that way so they weren't changing anything.

Not a big deal, but my issue with it is I like to know exactly what I'm loading and no surprises. If they weight 150, then tell me that. Probably my bad for not weighting them to start with.

Edited by SWHlctx

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also looking for some good load data for these bullets. I'm shooting a Glock 34 with a stock recoil spring. I've heard some people like WIN231, WST, and WSF. I just want something clan burning so I don't have to worry about too much fowling during long matches.

• 3 years later...
On 3/26/2016 at 11:41 PM, usmc90 said:

I'm using a very similar 147 in flat point..using wsf

How did this turn out for you?  Picked up 100 plated flat points and a lb of WSF at Fin's yesterday because it seemed to have the most load data for the 147 grn lead, FMJ, and TMJ.  

On 4/7/2016 at 9:48 PM, superluckycat said:

This.

Also been loading this:

147gr RN Blue Bullet

3.8gr CFE Pistol

1.15 OAL

How do you like this load?  New to handloading, CFE pistol is the first lb of powder I bought seems tough to find much load data.  Just picked up a lb of WSF and some 147 gr FPs.