Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cost of getting into PCC

IrxlLdc.jpg

Lower (complete) - $260

Upper (complete) - $430

Optic - $170

Had a handstop already and of course, tons of Glock mags, so that was it.

I need the deets. That's a sweet looking one.

Thanks! It's a PSA Glock lower and a PSA 16" upper. I think their kits are a great value.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I took a SBR lower I already had for 300 blk and 5.56 and added a bottom locking block to it. It runs on unmodified Uzi mags that I can get 32 rd, mags for $12 each. Now I have something I can convert to 3 calibers and only had to build a 9mm upper for. Runs like a top. My only want now is a couple of 40 rd Uzi mags that will feed well.

What block and how reliable has this proven? I want to go SBR, but I can't see waiting a year if I can get an existing lower running for less than the price of a stamp...

Just today I picked up a used RRA 9mm carbine, a rock upper and a rock 223 lower with a 9mm insert

Ran a couple hundred rounds through it with no problems

I Put a carbon fiber handguard and a Cmore on it, left the rest as is

Paid $700.00 for it

cant wait to start shooting PCC, our club has a few shooting now and many interested

I picked up an RL1050 in 9mm to support my new habit as well :D

• 1 month later...

I've been back and forth on this but I've finally come to the decision that I'm not going to build a 9mm AR or buy a carbine - instead I'm going to use what I already have.  I'll be shooting my Beretta CX4.  It's got the PX4 mag insert in it (that's how it was bought and it came with 5 17rd mags) and I've put +3 adapters on 3 of the mags so they're 20rd each.  If I find that being limited to 20 rounds is severely limiting I can buy the 92/96 insert and larger 92 style mags.

I've got a Sightmark red dot on top of it now (not cowitnessed) ranged at 50 yards.  I'll probably add a flashlight to the front left that I'll use as a thumb stop and I'll play around with sling options if need be, but I don't expect that with the movement, etc. on stages I'll be shooting from a slung position much.

About the only thing I might do is contact Beretta for some spaces to slightly lengthen my length of pull.

IMG_0310.jpg

5 hours ago, Dannybot said:

My current plan is to take my wife's Christmas present, add a Rock River mag block and build an upper around a Ballistic Advantage 11" barrel and New Frontier bolt.  Cost of conversion including four Metalform mags is about $530.

Does that include the cost of the stamp or is it already on the registry?  That's not a bad approach...

That's what I did with my registered SBR. Added a Palmetto mag block, RRA buffer, and built an upper with a Faxon 10.5" barrel and Palmetto bolt. Got used Palmetto mags on another site, plus new ones when they were on sale for $20. Just bought a used C-more here. 

47 minutes ago, OPENB said:

That's what I did with my registered SBR. Added a Palmetto mag block, RRA buffer, and built an upper with a Faxon 10.5" barrel and Palmetto bolt. Got used Palmetto mags on another site, plus new ones when they were on sale for $20. Just bought a used C-more here. 

Is the Palmetto mag block a top or bottom load? 

You guys running the Colt style mags: are they as hard to load as some on the internet would lead you to believe?  Do you really need a loader?  Would the uplulua pistol loader work?  

My Colt style mags aren't due in until next week, so I haven't had a chance to try out...

On 6/20/2016 at 5:33 PM, NickBlasta said:

Thanks! It's a PSA Glock lower and a PSA 16" upper. I think their kits are a great value.

I see PSA offers the lower receiver in both forged and billet.  Which way did you go?  I the billet lower worth the extra dollars?

Edited by Flatland Shooter
Spelling error
1 hour ago, Dannybot said:

You guys running the Colt style mags: are they as hard to load as some on the internet would lead you to believe?  Do you really need a loader?  Would the uplulua pistol loader work? 

Once you get past 20 rounds, the difficulty level goes way up.  I can't find my uplula so I can't comment, but they do make a loader specific to the 9mm Colt mags, which I will be picking up.

18 minutes ago, jrswanson1 said:

Once you get past 20 rounds, the difficulty level goes way up.  I can't find my uplula so I can't comment, but they do make a loader specific to the 9mm Colt mags, which I will be picking up.

The easiest to use loader I found for colt mags is the one you put 5 rounds in and push down . Kind of like the stripper clips work.

2 hours ago, Dannybot said:

Thanks for the responses.  So is the Upulula better than the Butler Creek loader?  I can get the Butler Creek Amazon Prime.....

I thought the butler creek and the uplula with the lever were awkward

Edited by Sarge
2 hours ago, Dannybot said:

Thanks for the responses.  So is the Upulula better than the Butler Creek loader?  I can get the Butler Creek Amazon Prime.....

I think people are using the wrong names for the products here causing some confusion.  As I understand it at least, and from looking at their site, "Maglula" is the name of the brand that makes all these mag loaders.  The "Uplula" is the mag loader designed for loading pistol mags.  I have an Uplula and just tried it with an SMG mag and it did not work.  Maglula also makes a "Colt SMG lula", that's the one you want.  I also have one of these.  It looks like the one on Amazon labeled Butler Creek is a Maglula, maybe Butler Creek manufactures the products for Magula? Or it's mis-labeled, but the one I'm looking at looks like the same thing.  I got mine off ebay with free shipping because it was cheaper than Amazon at the time I ordered.

And all Maglula products are awesome.  I try to never load pretty much any magazine without one :D

Sorry for the total derail.  I have ordered the Maglula Colt SMG loader, so my total is up to $582, plus a registered SBR lower and an optic to be determined.  I went with a Rock River mag block and Colt style mags.

As for the optic, I'm most likely going to steal something from the safe; Aimpoint Pro, Micro H1, EOTech, Primary Arms Classic red dot or Bushnell TRS25. 

Shooting PCC will actually save you money.  For anyone who is still reading this is how I justified it.  My wife and I both shoot 3gun and we go through a considerable amount of ammo.  Most of the ranges that we shoot on are less then 100 yards and in 3 gun nation PCC has its own division.  I reload a lot of 9mm and it costs around $0.10 per round.  If I shoot PCC I can engage most shotgun steel with 9mm at less then half the price of 12 gauge shells $0.23 shot shell (Walmart Value Pack).  Any rifle targets are now engaged with 9mm instead of .223 at $0.33 per 223 rifle round a savings of over 66%.  At this rate a JP-13 will pay for it self in 6,750 rounds.