Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Delta Point Pro, first thoughts...

Shadyscott999

I asked Kyle Lamb about the battery life since he has been running on his P320. He does have a business relationship with Leupold but here is his response:

"I have been using the DP Pro now for 1 1/2 years, the previous versions were Leupold Prototypes used on AR's and pistols. The average battery life if I were to make a guess would be 4-6 months, this is leaving it on and using it a lot. The current production version seems to be the same, I want to say 6+ months for sure. It is a far superior mini red dot sight to anything else on the market."[/size]YMMV I'm sure[/size]

So how do you reconcile Kyle's statement with my experience with two new DP Pro optics, where I am going through a battery a week with a daily live and dry fire regimen, and the statement on the Leupold website that it only lasts 190 hours on high intensity?

Are you saying that the 190 hour rating does or doesn't go in line with kyles statement? If you can truly kill a battery in a week of contact Leupold should take 27 hours a day at high intensity at that rate. That would be quite the training regimen.

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I asked Kyle Lamb about the battery life since he has been running on his P320. He does have a business relationship with Leupold but here is his response:

"I have been using the DP Pro now for 1 1/2 years, the previous versions were Leupold Prototypes used on AR's and pistols. The average battery life if I were to make a guess would be 4-6 months, this is leaving it on and using it a lot. The current production version seems to be the same, I want to say 6+ months for sure. It is a far superior mini red dot sight to anything else on the market."[/size]

YMMV I'm sure[/size]

So how do you reconcile Kyle's statement with my experience with two new DP Pro optics, where I am going through a battery a week with a daily live and dry fire regimen, and the statement on the Leupold website that it only lasts 190 hours on high intensity?

I don't. Just passing on information provided by another source. I personally borrowed a slide with an older DeltaPoint and used it for a couple of months of dry fire and practice without changing the battery.

Alma sorry, I wasn't trying to shoot the messenger. I appreciate the information, even though it doesn't jive with my experience.

There is definitely a difference between the legacy Delta Point and the new Pro in battery life. Besides your legacy DP battery experience, Robbie Leatham told me a few weeks ago that he has yet to change the battery in his legacy Delta Point in the several years he has had it. That included practicing for Area 2, and running that optic in the match. When I asked Leupold CS about the difference, they said the new Pro uses different technology than the legacy DP. Historically, my experience with the numerous illuminated Leupold scopes I have owned over the years, is the battery is inevitably dead and the illumination doesn't work without a fresh battery, so let's just say that Aimpoint is not behind them on battery technology.

It is interesting that much of the promotional info on the Pro referenced auto intensity, but that feature is not in what is being delivered from Leupold. This from a friend on that topic.

there is a small hole in the front of the housing that I was sure was

the optical sensor for auto brightness mode. If that is the case they may have

planned for this feature but just couldn't get working properly before the

already long delayed release.

Edited by GJM

"I have been using the DP Pro now for 1 1/2 years, the previous versions were Leupold Prototypes used on AR's and pistols. The average battery life if I were to make a guess would be 4-6 months, this is leaving it on and using it a lot. The current production version seems to be the same, I want to say 6+ months for sure. It is a far superior mini red dot sight to anything else on the market."[/size]YMMV I'm sure[/size]

Are you saying that the 190 hour rating does or doesn't go in line with kyles statement? If you can truly kill a battery in a week of contact Leupold should take 27 hours a day at high intensity at that rate. That would be quite the training regimen.

I am averaging a battery a week in the Pro. I have been especially active lately focusing on CO, but that translates into three hours a day of live and dry fire, six days a week, or 18 hours a week. That is nowhere near 190 hours.

I recently bought 50+ 2032 batteries on Amazon, carry about ten in my range bag, and change the battery each weekend before the match. Prior to doing the weekly change, I killed multiple batteries to the point the unit wouldn't turn on.

I am averaging a battery a week in the Pro. I have been especially active lately focusing on CO, but that translates into three hours a day of live and dry fire, six days a week, or 18 hours a week. That is nowhere near 190 hours.

I recently bought 50+ 2032 batteries on Amazon, carry about ten in my range bag, and change the battery each weekend before the match. Prior to doing the weekly change, I killed multiple batteries to the point the unit wouldn't turn on.

Amazing. What does Leupold say when you tell that that is your experience?

They said, if I was not turning the Pro off when not using it, and, for example, it was in a range bag in a vehicle, that motion would keep it running, and 6-7 days sounded right. I asked how that would work on a carry gun, and he had literally no response.

I think we are waiting our time waiting on the DP-Pro to poop out on us. These are better than the original DeltaPoint and the only issues were those little .05mm lock screws. I guess the only question I have is how do you like it vs the RTs-2 bud??? Thanks

"I have been using the DP Pro now for 1 1/2 years, the previous versions were Leupold Prototypes used on AR's and pistols. The average battery life if I were to make a guess would be 4-6 months, this is leaving it on and using it a lot. The current production version seems to be the same, I want to say 6+ months for sure. It is a far superior mini red dot sight to anything else on the market."[/size]

YMMV I'm sure[/size]

I don't. Just passing on information provided by another source. I personally borrowed a slide with an older DeltaPoint and used it for a couple of months of dry fire and practice without changing the battery.

Alma sorry, I wasn't trying to shoot the messenger. I appreciate the information, even though it doesn't jive with my experience.

There is definitely a difference between the legacy Delta Point and the new Pro in battery life. Besides your legacy DP battery experience, Robbie Leatham told me a few weeks ago that he has yet to change the battery in his legacy Delta Point in the several years he has had it. That included practicing for Area 2, and running that optic in the match. When I asked Leupold CS about the difference, they said the new Pro uses different technology than the legacy DP. Historically, my experience with the numerous illuminated Leupold scopes I have owned over the years, is the battery is inevitably dead and the illumination doesn't work without a fresh battery, so let's just say that Aimpoint is not behind them on battery technology.

It is interesting that much of the promotional info on the Pro referenced auto intensity, but that feature is not in what is being delivered from Leupold. This from a friend on that topic.

there is a small hole in the front of the housing that I was sure was

the optical sensor for auto brightness mode. If that is the case they may have

planned for this feature but just couldn't get working properly before the

already long delayed release.

I read somewhere the military asked them to remove the auto brightness feature. Another online forum so who knows.

Just received the 2.5 MOA version today. The dot, as previously noted, is very bright. However there are only a couple of useful settings. I think I'll stay with the RTS2. JMO.

Show us a few pics? If you have time.

Something else that has swayed me tward the DP is the Leupold lifetime warranty vs the Cmore's 1 year. I had to test the Leupold warranty on my original DP and explained I had a match coming up and I had my DP back within 7 working days. Just one more reason to get a Leupold.

Edited by a matt

We (Akai) have modified the Double Tap two sided mount to work as well...

How did you modify the DT mount? Is this something you can share or would I need to send a mount to you for the mod????

thanks

this is how it looks with the rts2 mount! removed the smal pins sticking up for the rts2 sight , and just mounted the DP!

don´t really know if i need "pinns" to hold the sight!i have a arredondo mount, but i like to have a blastshied!

post-51644-0-94709900-1462472652_thumb.j

this is how it looks with the rts2 mount! removed the smal pins sticking up for the rts2 sight , and just mounted the DP!

don´t really know if i need "pinns" to hold the sight!i have a arredondo mount, but i like to have a blastshied!

Cheely redesigned the mount for the Pro and the new one has a blast shield.

We (Akai) have modified the Double Tap two sided mount to work as well...

How did you modify the DT mount? Is this something you can share or would I need to send a mount to you for the mod????

thanks

The locator pins on the RTS 2 mounts are too small and in the wrong location. Shay milled off the factory pins, made new pins of the correct size and pressed them into the pad.

Scott,

Do you find the brightness of the 2.5moa dot to compensate for the larger 8moa dot on the RTS2? Was it a difficult transition going to 2.5moa?

I do. The DPP is in my pure estimation 30% brighter than the RTS 2 on high. Partials at speed are much easier with a small bright dot. Steel is a breeze with the smaller dot also.