Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Eaa witness elite match 40s&w

DarksideCZ

I have about 6-7k rounds through my witness elite match 40s&w. Split probably 50/50 between 150pf loads and 170pf loads. I figure it's probably time for a new recoil spring before this season gets into full swing. I'm not sure what recoil spring comes stock and If I should stick with stock or is another weight better? I will be shooting all major pf this year.

Also, My last indoor match I had 2 ftf with the bullet going nose up and not chambering. I am hoping my recoil spring is getting weak and a new spring will fix the issue. I was shooting the same ammo I've been shooting when the failures occurred so I do t think it is ammo related.

Any help here would be great. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure which recoil spring my gun takes. I think I saw somewhere 14#. And I keep reading about people "fitting" the spring to the gun by cutting it down?

Go to the wolfe web sight. There are "longslide" and normal springs. You need the longslide type. Factory is probably 13 - 14#. For your 150pf, around 10# will be correct and 11# or 12# for the 170pf. MOST people use springs that are too strong, causing the muzzle to dip on chambering. Grip strength is needed to keep the muzzle raise to a minimum, but the correct (weaker) spring is needed to eliminate dip.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm currently experimenting with the new Unica progressive springs and shock buffs. I was about to hang up my Limited because the recoil was too much for me. Now, I think I have a very nice combo that keeps the muzzle flat. 

There are some limitations, which I have some notions of how to overcome, but right now I am excited to see what can be done. 

Is reccomend a light recoil spring because all my testing shows heavy springs lead to too much dip. I don't feel they reduce perceived recoil or rise much, either. The shock buff lessens rise, not the spring. 

• 11 months later...

I've just been through the FTF issue with my Limited Pro and have completely replaced all six magazines. Changing out the springs only helped three of the six mags. Dropping them on a concrete floor (I shoot on two indoor ranges) doesn't help matters. 

v/r,

Jeff

• 1 month later...