Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best reliability Single Stack 1911 9mm Magazines?

bluesman2a

I'm getting ready to buy some more mags and I wanted to talk to the group about what is the off-the-shelf most reliable 1911 9mm single stack magazine?

I have several single-stacks in my stable including: Rock Island beater, STI targetmaster, custom 6" build, Dan Wesson Discretion.

Some mitigating factors:

• I don't currently reload.
  • I'd like to be able to use these mags in all my single-stack 9mm's
  • Typically I'm shooting either 115 or 147 Gr. jacketed, I go where the cheap ammo is (either new or reman), and sometimes shoot suppressed.
  • I typically don't compete with these (yet), so the mags aren't seeing a lot of wear and tear, mainly just range-toys.

I've really not had too many issues with mags, and am running a mix of factory mags that came with the guns and/or Dawson Precision.

I would consider buying more of the Dawson's, but in researching, I've read a lot of conflicting info on what works for others and/or what is the best, the same names keep popping up: Dawson, Wilson, CMC, Metal-Form, Tripp. One person says they are the best thing since sliced bread, the next says they are total crap.

So for just a good meat and potatoes, reliable mag, what is working for you?

Metalform here. They're less expensive than the others, work well and Dawson uses their tubes and guts so that tells you something about them. Plastic base pad also helps when making weight.

Tripp is also well respected, I have a friend with them and he says they work great. Can't say anything about the others, never used them.

And Springfield 9 round versions worked well too. Both styles (one that comes with the gun has the ridge down the front, the ones you get for free with their Loaded deal had the spacer in back).

I run the Dawsons in my Springfield RO. One of them needed to be tuned and would double feed. The rest of them were 100%. They are definitely different from the Tripps. The spacer comes out when the mags are disassembled. Kind of a pain at a match but you can definitely get out all the crud that way.

I have 2 brand new Chip McCormick , 10 rounders , 2 tripp 10 rounds , 2 Wilson 10 rounds . Shot them all yesterday at in IDPA match . With one in the chamber then 10 in the magazine the only ones you didn't have to slam in and I do mean slam in are the tripps.I am shooting them in a Springfield 9 mm . They all work the same after 2 rounds are gone. Have not tried the dawson, but understand tripp makes the tubes for dawson and dawson puts on their base pads, but I have been wrong three times today already. From my limited experience I would use the tripp's.

Clock , shmock, it's still a pita

My metalforms are the same. I'm surprised they feed in the gun so well.

As long as they feed the gun and don't hang up mag changes by sliding forward under firing conditions, I'll deal with the pita that manually unloading them entails.

In a perfect world, yeah, unload with ease either via gun or by hand, but if I have to choose, I'll go with functioning gun first. And you can always just leave them loaded.

I have Dawson comp mags with the aluminum base plate and they work ok but the mag lips have spread and I have issues with some of them. I went ahead and ordered (6) of the new style Wilson ETM and they are flawless. That's my 2 cents