Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Typical Steel Challenge match fees? Club level

Speedsouthshooting

Hey guys! I'm the Steel Challenge Director at the CMP range in Talladega. The range is a $25 million dollar facility and possibly the most technolocly advanced range in the country. Due to the money spent on this range it is hard to keep the match fees down to a compatible amount with the other ranges in our area. What do you guys charge or pay to shoot a 5 stage monthly match? Right now our match fee is $15 1st gun and $5 for additional guns. ( 3 guns max)

The range has gone up on me and I'm trying not to have to increase shooter fee but I can't go backwards on holding a match at the same time.

The range is very nice but steel challenge requires little maintenance with exception of some 2x4's ever so often. They have enough bays to keep the stages set up at all time and the range purchased the mgm grand deluxe steel package.

Thanks for any input or advice

The Clark County range in Las Vegas charges a lot, so the match fee there was $25 for a 5 stage match. Depending on how you are charged try adding another stage to equal out the cost. That is what the club that shot here did, but it still was not enough and it died out due to lack of shooter participation and ever increasing range fees.

The CMP is civilians marksmanship program and is open to the public. They don't require any membership.

I want to be competitive with other ranges without drowning. I pay my RO's more than their match fee for helping me out. I have a #2 that I split with minus expenses. The other matches at the range are increasing but I will lose shooters to other ranges if I raise the price.

My thoughts are this.

Go from $15 to $20 for 1st gun and additional guns are $5 each OR stay at $15 for one gun,$10 for the second gun and $5 for the third.

Would you guys shoot this match or travel 30 minutes to shoot $10 1st gun and $5 for second and third gun?

My helpers are the single biggest promoters of my matches. We are busting at the seams on monthly matches and currently working towards a tier 3 area 6 regional with Bruce Wells and Mike Foley. I have to have good help.

We have a fb group called speed south shooting if anyone is interested. Thanks!

• 2 months later...

Linea del Fuego in So Cal has an all steel match. Minimum of 6 stages. $40 non members and $30 members per their website, but $35 per my buddy who shoots it. I haven't shot it.

Norco, not all steel, but USPSA, is $38 normally and $41 for a classifier.

We still have some clubs, like WEGC @ $20 non and $10 member. I think Palm Springs is the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

We struggled with this for the first 2 years that I ran the club. We went back and forth on appropriate fees and have finally settled on $10 per gun. At our shoots lunch is includes in that fee and first time shooters with us shoot free. It seems to work for us.

One of my clubs just started. 6 stages, $25 non members, $20 members, $15 for a 2nd gun after finished shooting first.

Interesting that they shoot through with one gun and then go back through with second. This month we are going to try allowing 3 guns per shooter to see how it goes. Adding PCC has brought a lot of interest to steel challenge locally.