Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Not Enough Ammo

WaJim

• 8 months later...

At all local matches I bring 300rds. Haven't had any issues coming close to using them all yet however, after reading this a lot of folks that have been shooting a lot longer than me double up. Looks like more time on the press for me. 

Bring double, always. Never know if a buddy might have forgotten some rounds as well.

This has saved my ass a couple times. I seem to either bring way too much ammo, or barely enough. Usually barely enough lol.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

What's your rationale on bringing "barely enough"?   (I can't think of ANY advantages to that strategy)    [emoji6]

Not enough ammo loaded lol.

155 round match and I've only got 200 rounds left. I ended up leaving with like 25 rounds lol

As I do not have my own press, and my buddy lives 35 miles one way and only available on Friday to let me load. I end up scrounging for ammo.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

I have found that I need a lot more ammo on hand just to keep all the mags on my belt topped off.  I.e. 80 rounds on me, shoot 2 25 round stages. By the time I shoot 2 of 5 stages I have close to the 150 round total "spoken for"(on my belt.)

I came close to running out once. Since then, never again. Before I leave in the morning I load a 170 & 2 - 140's. Then also double round count plus spares. May be overkill but it's not too difficult to carry it back into the house and unload it. My overtaxed little brain has enough to think about at a match. 

• 3 months later...
On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 10:31 AM, Hi-Power Jack said:

Doesn't take any extra effort or expense, so I bring at least

double what I think I'll need.

Starting out years ago I was fortunate to have a GM take me under his wing for tutoring and friendship. This was his exact advice to me for how much to bring to a match. Double the amount should be the bare minimum. Good luck and great shooting.

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 10:31 AM, Hi-Power Jack said:

Doesn't take any extra effort or expense, so I bring at least

double what I think I'll need.

Starting out years ago I was fortunate to have a GM take me under his wing for tutoring and friendship. This was his exact advice to me for how much to bring to a match. Double the amount should be the bare minimum. Good luck and great shooting.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2016 at 9:44 AM, eern said:

Right there with you on bringing extra rounds. I generally bring double what the expected round count is.

I agree with this sentiment.  Sometimes you might have to reshoot stages + makeup shots = I bring 200 rounds to a 125 round match.

Sometimes I bring less just to keep my aiming discipline in check, when my actual mental discipline is too lazy to keep it in check.  Gotta spread the responsibility, y'know.