Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ipsc Drills, Where To Find Them?

Bob C

I am new to these forums and this is my first post. I have been shooting handgun for quite a few years in the military and currently as a leo but I am new to the competition type of shooting and want to expand my horizons so to speak.. I have seen drills such as the Bill's Drill and El Prez etc mentioned. Where can I find out what the courses of fire are for these various drills and others to improve my shooting. Regards, Bob.

Bob C,

When I got started, I went around the internet and printed off drills from various places...put them all in a 3-ring binder that I could take to the range. I got a lot of them from the SportShooter(?) website, but I understand that somebody bought that site and it is down for a re-vamp.

We have a whole section here in the forum that is devoted just to drills. Just about everything can be found there, you might be digging and printing for a while. The more popular drills will probably have thread about them with many posts.

And, the link given above is great. That is to my Grand Master buddy, Steve Anderson's website. He has a few products that are great for improvement.

• 3 months later...

Can someone please help me find a shooting drill? I'm looking for a drill called RONIN'S DRILL. I think an IPSC GM named Mr. Ronin made it for himself to practice. It's a very challenging drill that I used to do but I have misplaced it. I appreciate anyone's help. Thanks in advance.

Marshall Luton

www.tdsatulsa.com

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not sure what the "Ronin" drill is, but I Bet this is it:

go to www.krtraining.com. It's the website for KR Training in Austin, Texas.

On there you will find the CENTRAL TEXAS STANDARDS which was designed by Ronin Coleman and Chip McCormick.

I have a buddy who is a high B class shooter in Limited who swears by this drill, and does it whenever he has the time (it takes about 150 rounds or so). (Somebody suggested it to him years ago when he was being an RO at the Nationals)

• 3 months later...

CENTRAL TEXAS STANDARDS -- MODIFIED

This course of fire was originally developed by IPSC shooters Chip McCormick and Ronin Coleman.

PROCEDURE: Set up three IPSC targets in an "El Presidente" configuration 1 meter apart. The left target is A, the middle target is B and the right target is C. The course is a series of timed-fire Virginia Count exercises. Misses and shots not fired incur no penalty. Overtime shots are -5 points. Starting position is standing. Vary the starting position between hands clasped in front, hands at the sides, and hands in the "surrender" position.

Score and tape targets after each stage. 125 total rounds fired.

STAGE ONE-- 50 yards

Target A. Standing to prone, one round in 7.5 sec. 5X (5 rounds)

Target B. 2 rounds in 5.5 sec. 4X (8 rounds)

STAGE TWO -- 35 yards (out of battery reloads)

Target C. 1 round - reload - 1 round in 5.5 sec. 6X (12 rounds)

TOTAL ROUNDS/POINTS: 25/125

STAGE THREE -- 25 yards

Two rounds each on Targets A, B,C, six rounds in 10 sec. 2X (12 rounds)

TOTAL ROUNDS/POINTS: 12/60

STAGE FOUR -- 15 yards

One round each on Targets A,B,C, three rounds in 3.0 sec. 3X (9 rounds)

1 round - reload - 1 round - reload - 1 round in 5.5 sec. 2X (6 rounds)

One round weak hand only on each target in 3.5 sec. 2X (6 rounds)

TOTAL ROUNDS/POINTS: 21/105

STAGE FIVE -- 15 yards

Two rounds strong hand only on Targets A,B,C in 6.0 sec. (6 rounds)

1 headshot on each target , 4.0 sec per shot (3 rounds)

STAGE SIX -- 10 yards

2 round on each target, 2 rnds in 3.0 sec. 2X (12 rounds)

TOTAL ROUNDS/POINTS: 21/105

STAGE SEVEN -- 10 yards

2 rounds to the body, 1 headshot in 3.0 sec. Repeat on each target 2X(18 rnds)

Target C. 2 rounds in 1.5 sec. (5x) (10 rnds)

TOTAL ROUNDS/POINTS: 28/140.

STAGE EIGHT -- 7 yards

Target A. 1 headshot in 1.5 sec. 6X (6 rnds)

Target B. 2 rounds in 1.5 sec. 3X (6 rnds)

Target C. 1 round - reload - 1 round in 4.5 sec. 2X (6 rnds)

TOTAL ROUNDS/POINTS: 18/90

The time limits on this drill are tight and should be increased for shooters using practical holsters. An IPSC Grand Master should be able to "clean" this drill regularly.

To calculate percentages: total points divided by 6.25.

Variations:

 Add no-shoot targets covering the right C/D zone of Target A, the left D zone of target B, the right D zone of target B and to the left C/D zone of target C.

 Paint the bottom half of all targets black (from the base of the A zone on down) and score hits in hard cover as misses.

PRACTICE DRILLS

Based on THE CENTRAL TEXAS STANDARDS

The "Central Texas Standards" was originally developed as a practice drill by IPSC shooters Chip McCormick and Ronin Coleman. This practice drill is based on the skills tested in the Central Texas Standards. The original time limits were VERY tight -- shooters can adjust par times as necessary.

Set up three IPSC targets in an "El Presidente" configuration, side by side with one meter between targets. The left target is A, the center target is B, and the right target is C. The exercises are scored VIRGINIA COUNT -- misses and shots not fired incur no penalties. Overtime shots are -5 points each.

50 YARDS / 35 YARDS / 25 YARDS

STANDING: 2 rounds on each target. (3 individual reps) 3X

STANDING TO KNEELING 2 rounds on each target (3 individual reps)

STANDING TO PRONE: 2 rounds on each target (3 individual reps)

30 rounds fired per stage

15 YARDS

STANDING: 2 rounds on each target (3 individual reps) 2X

STANDING: 2 rounds on each target strong hand only. 2X

STANDING: 2 rounds on each target weak hand only. 2X

STANDING: "El Presidente Drill" 2X

60 rounds fired

10 YARDS / 7 YARDS

STANDING: 2 rounds on each target (3 individual reps)2X

STANDING: 2 rounds on each target strong hand only. 2X

STANDING: 2 rounds on each target weak hand only. 2X

STANDING: "El Presidente Drill" 2X

STANDING: 2CM/1 headshot on each target (3 individual reps)(2X)

STANDING: 1 headshot on each target (2X)

OUT OF BATTERY RELOAD: 2+2+2

90 rounds fired per stage

TOTAL ROUNDS FIRED: 240

This section of the forum has really awesome ones. To find them just hit up the topics. The majority of the topics are pretty much self-explanatory as to what the drill is. I'm a nerd so I get them from here, and make up an Excel Spreadsheet to keep track of my times and scores. I try to keep them to see progression.

JOe

• 2 weeks later...

Aside from the obvious, one shot draws etc, flipping through the Classifiers and practicing skills found there works well.

And other skills that you need work on from a prior match is usually easy to duplicate to some degree.

Edited by SRT Driver