Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tanfoglio breakage?

CAB33

I used to shoot Tanfoglio about 7 years ago and have constant issues with things breaking.

Rear sights being a constant problem.

I am looking into a Stock 2 and wanted to know if things have improved from some people before buying.

Here's a thread I started discussing Tanfo fixed rear sight options. I'm trying to convince Henning to make a batch of his LPA cut fixed rear sight. I need two for my Stock 2 pistols. I'm hoping a few others will contact him as well. I have one of his rear sights on my limited pistol and really like it.

Rear sight options for Elite Limited

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?/topic/226160-Rear-sight-options-for-Elite-Limited

Edited by cakedog02

Sights still come apart. I lost a Match and Hunter Super Sight and switched the Hunter to a Henning fixed. I sent the Match slide in for EAA to swap the busted one out. Henning talks about making an adjustable replacement for the rear... we should all keep the fire hot sending him messages on it.

This is probably old news and has been discussed ad nauseam but I always thought the reason the screw broke was the repeated stress of the recoil. After breaking a screw or two I made a hard rubber bumper to support the sight and take out the bouncing motion that popped the screws. I just had to make the bumper the right height for accuracy of the sight but I haven't broken a screw since.

This is probably old news and has been discussed ad nauseam but I always thought the reason the screw broke was the repeated stress of the recoil. After breaking a screw or two I made a hard rubber bumper to support the sight and take out the bouncing motion that popped the screws. I just had to make the bumper the right height for accuracy of the sight but I haven't broken a screw since.

Would you post a pic of your sight with the rubber piece installed? I haven't heard of that before.

just broke my second rear sight today. the detent on the elevation screw which sits under the screw head and looks like a tiny ball bearing disintegrated. Damn thing is probably made of rock candy. Can't believe how crappy these sights are.

Going to try and install a Dawson tomorrow. Its going to need to be fitted. For the questions earlier in this thread, no, Not all LPA sights are the same. A regular LPA cut sight will need to be fitted using a 60* file. I've never done it before, but i know two guys that have. I'll let you know how it goes.

just broke my second rear sight today. the detent on the elevation screw which sits under the screw head and looks like a tiny ball bearing disintegrated. Damn thing is probably made of rock candy. Can't believe how crappy these sights are.

Going to try and install a Dawson tomorrow. Its going to need to be fitted. For the questions earlier in this thread, no, Not all LPA sights are the same. A regular LPA cut sight will need to be fitted using a 60* file. I've never done it before, but i know two guys that have. I'll let you know how it goes.

Once you get the Dawson rear sight installed, please update this thread to let us know how it went. I'd like to know how much filing from the sides and bottoms will be required to get Dawson's LPA cut rear sight to fit. A pic would be helpful as well. Thanks!

Placing a rubber wedge under the rear of the sight like that could for sure help. Like the picture shows these sights still seem to be elevated up to much the way they are. The rubber is keeping it from moving up and down wearing out the screw.

I fitted a Dawson on my Hunter a while back and it really had to be jacked up where I had maybe one thread of the adjusting screw engaged. I sent it back to Dawson for a swap out.

Here you go for those interested. It took me about 30 minutes. I put the sight in a vise and used an old leather yard glove, cut the finger off, and used the leather to hold the sight in place without marring the finish. The gun isn't a safe queen and i don't mind marks on it, but i figured the vice would have really messed it up.

Anyway, you will need a 60* file to do the fitting.

I measured the bottom of the EAA sight so i knew what measurements i was going for. just start filing, then see if it fits, rinse, repeat. You want to take off enough to just fit. Then use red loctite on the sides of the dovetail to hold in place. FYI, the set screws inside the sight on the dawson are tiny! They are about half as long as the EAA sight. I just used the screws from the now useless EAA sight.

The measuremens are the bottom of the dovetail on the sight, and the smaller measurement is the top of the dovetail on the sight.

image.jpg2_zpsqsav98ir.jpg

image.jpg1_zps5oozpaqo.jpg

image.jpg2_zpsq2jkcbsk.jpg

Bottom of Dawson after fitting. It ain't pretty, but it works.

image.jpg3_zpsw4io50mj.jpg

image.jpg5_zpsgxz8i1we.jpg

Edited by CZinSC

It almost seems that those sights that are breaking are jacked way up. Maybe changing out the front sight so the adjustable is closer to the slide would make them more durable. About how many rounds are yall seeing before they break? Mines actually almost bottomed out shootung 124s

The sights don't tend to break nearly as much in 9mm. I think it's the higher PF in 40 that causes it. I had a stock 2 with about 10,000 rounds through, never broke a sight. Got a buddy that is a GM Prod shooter, shoots a crazy amount of rounds per year in Stock 2, hasn't broken a sight yet. The people i know with 40 cal limiteds all have had sights break.

The sights don't tend to break nearly as much in 9mm. I think it's the higher PF in 40 that causes it. I had a stock 2 with about 10,000 rounds through, never broke a sight. Got a buddy that is a GM Prod shooter, shoots a crazy amount of rounds per year in Stock 2, hasn't broken a sight yet. The people i know with 40 cal limiteds all have had sights break.

My 9mm top end has ~28,000 on it with the stock site and screws. So I would agree that the heavier recoil of the .40 drastically shortens the life of these.

And on a side note I"m almost bottomed out on the rear shooting 147's and 124's, so I don't know how you could hit anything with a .140" sight.