Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Coated bullets?

glock34shooter

I have been loading 9mm xtremes and I am planning on trying out some coated bullets. I am using a factory Glock barrel and am curious what diameter is working best for everyone. I am also curious what is working best, Acme, Eggleston, or ?????

Edited by glock34shooter

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Assume 9mm? Blue bullets, Leatherhead and S&S 124/125 all worked fine for me out of a G17 and an AccuShadow. Stock Glock barrel is very forgiving in terms of coal and diameter in my experience. I'd suggest getting some trial packs of the vendor of your choice and just trying them.

What is causing you to move away from Xtremes? Price, quality, availability? I shoot a ton of S&S 147FP NLG out of a variety of 9mm handguns and they all shoot great. I've been looking at getting some Xtremes but are unsure if they are worth the extra money.

What is causing you to move away from Xtremes? Price, quality, availability? I shoot a ton of S&S 147FP NLG out of a variety of 9mm handguns and they all shoot great. I've been looking at getting some Xtremes but are unsure if they are worth the extra money.

They're not. I don't get the same consistency or accuracy from them as I do from SNS or Blues. All they're useful for to me is sneaking in reloads to a factory ammo only range.

Slight diversion here. I recently tried a well known brand of red coated bullets in my 44 magnum. Staying well below maximum loads, I was disappointed to find they weren't much better than some hard lead cast lubed bullets I've used, The fouling, resembled lead, though it was blacker, was just as difficult to remove and I ended up using my Lewis lead removing tool. Any thoughts?

You probably damaged the coating when loading. Either to much crimp or not enough bell.

I run blues is open 38 super major, no leading. If anyone wants a discount code use Ennis and try them out.

How hot can you run them? I'm assuming you have to stay with 124/5's in the 1400 range?

You probably damaged the coating when loading. Either to much crimp or not enough bell.

I run blues is open 38 super major, no leading. If anyone wants a discount code use Ennis and try them out.

I'm betting you're right. I wish someone made copper plated or better yet, copper jacketed SWC's in .429 diameter. :(

I have been finding that some of the bullets I have been loading have slightly deformed on the tip of the bullet. It's not really a big deal but it does make the coal ready longer than it actually is. Plus I'm just trying different stuff to see if I find something that stands out as better than other options.

Edited by glock34shooter

I've heard a lot of good things about acme bullets. I recently bought 2k blue bullets to try out but the inconsistency is killing me so I will try some acme bullets next. They also offer a discount for enos members.

+1 for the blue bullets (they are made about 12 miles from my house) I've shot about 2800 through my glock 17 factory barrel and they are great. As far as diameter goes, I have not seen any coated bullet manufacturers that offer more than one size. Plenty of cast companies do (dardas etc) but i'm not aware of any coated options on diameter.

I run Eggleston Munitions coated bullets and not only are they offered in multiple colors they are also available in multiple sizing options in each caliber. Give them a look and if you like what you see feel free to use my discount code (EM-WIKEL) for 10% off your order. They offer $5 flat rate shipping as well.

Edited by bwikel

What are the consistency issues with blue bullets? I've seen this mentioned a couple times, but no specifics. I just picked up a sample pack of their 147gr FP, and I noticed the length of the bullets had a bit more variation than others I've tried. Is that it? So far they seem to shoot fine for me.

I've heard a lot of good things about acme bullets. I recently bought 2k blue bullets to try out but the inconsistency is killing me so I will try some acme bullets next. They also offer a discount for enos members.

What are the consistency issues with blue bullets? I've seen this mentioned a couple times, but no specifics. I just picked up a sample pack of their 147gr FP, and I noticed the length of the bullets had a bit more variation than others I've tried. Is that it? So far they seem to shoot fine for me.

I shot a bunch of 124 gr out of my 9mm several years ago. Towards the end what I experienced was 1-2 / thousand that were deformed, incomplete pours or that had issues with the coating. Also, the weight was more variable than some others.

Again, that was several years ago. Their customer service was always top notch. In the end, I personally found other options that suited my needs better.

Sounds like you have a sample pack, that's really the best way to judge by personal analysis.

I switched from Xtreme 147s to SNS 124s recently. The SNS are not smokey relative to other coated bullets (I load with TG currently), and are consistent in dimension. Excellent.

I just got 1K of SNS 147 FPs and I'm seeing huge variation in weight....from a low of 144gr to 150gr. So far it doesn't seem to have messed with chrono results, and the accuracy is decent, but I'm not sure if I've shot one of the really heavy, or really light, bullets over the chrono, or while shooting a group.

There was some length differences, but I forgot to write those down (I set aside the 144 and 150 so I'll try to remember to measure them).

I segregated 20 that were 148.5gr (give or take a tenth) and compared them to randomly selected bullets and the groups were pretty similar. The conditions were poor (very windy) but I was averaging about 2.5" groups at 25yds. The best was 2" and the worst was 4" with a called flier (without the flier it would have been more like 2.75". More testing to follow...

Edited by G-ManBart

+1 for the blue bullets (they are made about 12 miles from my house) I've shot about 2800 through my glock 17 factory barrel and they are great. As far as diameter goes, I have not seen any coated bullet manufacturers that offer more than one size. Plenty of cast companies do (dardas etc) but i'm not aware of any coated options on diameter.

Black and Blue bullets offers different sizes and colors on their bullets. Ive never used them though so no comment there.

+1 on blue bullets. Great price, they offer a discount to Benos members and in my testing are awesome accuracy wise. Once you get the dies set so youre not breaking the coating the coated bullets are great. I had terrible accuracy using xtremes. Blue Bullets were much better for me.