Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Good News for Carry Optics - 45oz limit !

pmt

USPSA NEWS

Board approves changes to the provisional Carry Optics Division

USPSA continues to embrace the evolution in firearms technology and innovation. Numerous handgun manufacturers are now offering optics-ready platforms. The recent SHOT Show displayed more optics-ready carry guns than ever before. Custom gunsmiths often upgrade these factory offerings with front cocking serrations, cosmetic cuts, stippled grips, undercut trigger guards, buried optics and co-witnessed sights.

In July of 2015, USPSA announced the provisional Carry Optics Division. During the past few months, the provisional division has exhibited slow but steady growth. The members interested in this division have spoken, and the USPSA Board of Directors has listened. The division will remain provisional, but for the remainder of 2016 will have some new opportunities.

The changes for Carry Optics Division will make it truly unique from other divisions, and will include:

• Authorization for all levels of USPSA and Steel Challenge
  • Expanded stippling, contouring and texturing of the grip frame to include undercut trigger guard and grip reduction
  • Expanded slide profiles to include serrations and cosmetic cuts not completely through the slide
  • Increased weight limit of 45 ounces, including optic and empty magazine, allowing more pistols to compete
  • Required use of a slide-mounted optic, prohibiting guns without an optic.

The next review of the provisional Carry Optics Division is scheduled for late January 2017.

Please note that making some of the changes now allowed in the provisional Carry Optics Division will render your handgun illegal for Production Division. A new appendix has been added to the online rulebook to aid shooters and match officials with the changes.

-USPSA President Mike Foley and USPSA Board of Directors

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also think it's a solid idea. I am not sure if I'll shoot it, but being able to get a rear dovetail mount for my shadow is much more of a possibility than me buying and setting up a whole new competition gun to give the division a try

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Shadow slide is already in the mail ..... I'll probably never shoot production again .....

The only time I'll shoot irons again will be for pro-am matches so I can shoot Limited and Open. I don't see myself shooting production again anytime soon.

Got it. I was referencing appendix D7, which apparently has not been updated. Thanks

Yea, the news came out today. That's why all the CO threads are alive again. Probably a day or two before everything gets updated.

As it is still a provisional division I would be less than eager to have a slide milled rendering it illegal for Production should the division die. Dovetail mount until this is set in ink. Don't believe me? Ask all the guys that put bucks into rigs for the first version of the rules. :ph34r:

As it is still a provisional division I would be less than eager to have a slide milled rendering it illegal for Production should the division die. Dovetail mount until this is set in ink. Don't believe me? Ask all the guys that put bucks into rigs for the first version of the rules. :ph34r:

I think the reason to keep it a provisional division for the year was to allow rule changes without waiting two years. I'm having my slide milled. Should the rules change and the need arises, I'll change slide to be Prod legal again. Guys that put $$ into rigs for the first version still have CO legal rigs. I'll also be using the gun in 3gun Stealth at RSSC.

I think the reason to keep it a provisional division for the year was to allow rule changes without waiting two years. I'm having my slide milled. Should the rules change and the need arises, I'll change slide to be Prod legal again. Guys that put $$ into rigs for the first version still have CO legal rigs. I'll also be using the gun in 3gun Stealth at RSSC.

Will it fit the box (Stealth) with the RTS? My guesstimate when I was headed that direction is that it was pretty darn close height wise.

Edited to add Never mind. I was looking at a dovetail mount back then. Milled is probably fine.

Edited by Neomet

So, will a revolver now be able to compete as long as it meets the weight restriction?

Skip

CO and single stack.....

The only two divisions where folks are afraid of competition from a revolver. It must be the blazing fast reload they're afraid of.

Nah ... Updating rules is very different then killing the division ... Since I don't plan to return ti irons there is not a lot of risk in having my slide milled .... Trust in Mike Foley and all will be well ... :)