Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

American Marksman

MarkCO

Well I registered and turned my iron sight 10/22 back into an all Ruger firearm and built my #2 Buckmark into an all Browning one again. Still looking for a Browning BM Lite barrel to get some weight off. Not going to shoot until I see what kind of scores are being produced. That might effect what red dot I plan on using. Hoping I don't have to borrow a C-more off one of my regular race guns.

Edited by photoracer

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would bet a large sum of money that if you are under 30 total, you will qualify for regionals. I shoot it in about 17 clean. When I get to 15 and 16, I throw a few 2s. Granted I have shot it about 30 times now, but I only picked up about 3 seconds from when I first tried to get a good time.

I think its silly that they consider any gssf match as a national level event for disqualification purposes.

I agree, with how GSSF Master classification works it is easy to end up in the top 10% of Civilian or Guardian.

It may be posted somewhere but I'be not found it.

How many Regional events and where will they be located?

Actually it is not really posted. There are plans for 9, but only 8 are booked. Last weekend in June through end of August, with 1 or 2 open weekends.

Colorado, Texas, Alabama, West Virginia, Indiana, Washington, Nevada, Nebraska. Finals is at CMP Taladega, 1st week of Jan 2017.

A LGS told me about it. I thought, what the heck. $35 for pistol and rifle, I've certainly pissed away that much on a lot of other things. Now, I'll have to sight in my dots for the appropriate distance, and go practice a little.

post-48359-0-86236000-1456418570_thumb.j

post-48359-0-12521700-1456418583_thumb.j

Rifle faster than Pistol or about the same for you?

In some other places, people have asked me what a competitive time is. My hunch is that if you can have a score of 30 seconds total on a sheet (3 strings, 25 rounds) you will likely qualify for regionals. I have run about a dozen people, from GMs to never shot a match, and have seen times from about 15 to 125 out of the gate. I started out at about 17 and now, after having put about 1500 rounds onto AM targets, I can consistently run in the 13 second range clean. Shot an 11.65 Wednesday. Of pistol with irons and dot and rifle with irons and dot, I am the fastest with the irons pistol. That will surely be individual, but if you want to have your best score as opposed to a qualifying score, practice.

Remember, you get two sheets. I would suggest a conservative approach on the first sheet and if it goes well, go for broke on the second. Also, use that 11th round option. If you have a jam or a dud, that can save a disaster. Even clearing jams, I am always under 10 seconds for 10 round strings. Use the benefits afforded you...many will not.

Well looks like they changed the equipment rules so now custom guns are allowed as long as you don't use a part that someone else can't buy and was made in quantities of 1000 or more. That's even better as now I can use my regular race guns. I also shoot better with the rifle. My best SC event with the rifle was 93s and change while for the pistol I don't think I have broke under 100s yet. Not bad for 68 YO anyway.

Edited by photoracer

UFO, your rifle is technically not allowed by the rules. See the equipment regulations. Rifle has to use all parts from the maker of it. No third party items except the sights. Otherwise I could use my SC/NSSF 10/22 and I can't. Your pistol looks fine although I don't think the thumbrest is legal either.

"Firearms used must be serviceable and safe and be of .22LR caliber only. Customization is allowed, however, firearm components and sighting systems must be, or have been, available to the general public in quantities of at least 1000 produced."

I read that as legal. Everyone can set their rifle up just like mine by ordering commercially available parts.

TacSol Barrel, Boyd's Stock, and a Timney Trigger.....

Edited by UFO

I am likely going to switch to my Axiom stock as that is the lightest rifle setup you can build although I prefer the Magnum Research thumbhole because it perfectly fits my hand and is lighter than any wood stock, but not as light as the Axiom. I have a choice between my VQ Ultralite CF or my non-threaded Tac Sol alloy barrel, various Ruger BX, Timney, and VQ triggers plus now I can use the receiver with my Allchin mounted C-More. I suppose the best thing to do would be to keep my SC rifle the same and use the parts to build a second rifle to test things out.

Yep I think I figured out the second rifle. Axiom stock, Ruger receiver, VQ trigger, Tac Sol barrel, EGW extended rail, and FastFire 3 red dot (8 MOA).

There are 7 of the 8 intro videos explaining and giving some tips and other info on the American Marksman competition up on the ElementMultigun FB page

https://www.facebook.com/Element-Multi-Gun-504559829685716/?ref=hl

The last one goes up tomorrow morning and then people can start shooting at the local ranges on March 1.

• 2 months later...

Well I got the rifle setup. Changed to a 2# Kidd single stage trigger, plus the Axiom stock, and the receiver and VQ Ultralite barrel from my steel rifle. First SC event with it I set personal bests in 4 stages. Should be good to go for AM. Now that the class with Max is past I can setup some AM targets and do some practice. Found out that the TK MK III pistol basepads are actually +1. I wonder if they know that or not. Should ask Eric I guess.

I shot the qualifier with a $200 10/22 and a c-more serendipity I got off Amazon on clearance for $60. My time was 16.14. Hopefully that is good enough to make it to regionals. Trying to be the low buck champ.