Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

American Marksman

MarkCO

Well folks, you can now sign up for American Marksman! Check out the page, the rules, the local ranges and get on board the coolest thing to hit the shooting industry in 2016! American Marksman is a new shooting sport that stresses the fundamentals of shooting. With no movement at the local level and only a few steps at the Regional level, this new sport will require the competitor to quickly execute the fundamentals of shooting. There is no reason a squirrel hunter or plinker could not win this whole thing. At the local level, you just need a .22RF pistol or rifle and you can go shoot at your local range to qualify to go to one of nine regionals. From the regionals, where all the firearms and ammo will be provided (centerfire rifle, pistol and shotgun will be added), division winners will be invited to compete at the finals, which will be amazing and more challenging. If you are a new competitive shooter, or have ever wanted to try it, this is your chance to shine, and maybe win $50K! The Divisions are open Men, open Women, Mil/LE and junior. Through the regionals, you will only compete against those in your division.

I know that a good number of BEnos members won't be eligible, but what is it we always say about wanting to get new shooters into the sport? THIS is tailor made for you awesome shooters to get your neighbors, family members and friends into competition shooting with just a little effort.

http://www.ammarksman.com/

Practice Targets: http://www.nationaltarget.com/index.php/american-marksman-c-60

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Make sure you read the rules before you sign up. I was looking forward to this, but unfortunately I found out I am not eligible since I am sponsored and also met a few of the other criteria that would me also make me ineligible. Oh well.

If you are not eligible, it means you are pretty good and have hundreds of matches to choose from. So take a family member, neighbor co-worker. The easiest way for those of us who love to shoot to get new and novice shooters into the competitive shooting sports. That is the main reason I am involved with this.

Looks like I may have squeaked in to be able to shoot this. Lucky for me the only world championship I have contested since I have been shooting is the Ruger/NSSF Rimfire World Championship from 2011 till now and I have never finished in the top 10% (usually around 20-25%). Now I just have to figure out how to get off work a couple of evenings to shoot at the club nearest me.

I am curious about the rule that makes all of these youth shooters ineligible. That's the one where of they are under contract and have received assistance (merchandise, cash or paid entry). There is getting to be some really great companies that are sponsoring young shooters, not because they are great shooters but because they are great kids. These kids are the ones that could turn a sport from a footnote in shooting history into something that could last.

So how do we determine if we are ranked in the top 10% of an organization? By classification (mine is not above 90) or by percentile based on classification? If B, how do we do that?

IDPA is Master, USPSA is your actual classification percentage.

So is this a private, for-profit enterprise? If so, who owns it?

Nobody wants to answer this question?

It is associated with Outdoor Channel. I am not sure if it is owned by, or is a sister company of, Outdoor Channel.

It's the first year, there will be kinks. I've talked with Mark a fair amount about this and I'm sure they picked the right guy to get them sorted out. And I say that as someone who is excluded from competing. But I also have a list of people that I want to try and get excited to go shoot it. That's what this is for. To bring new people into competition.

We got a very enthusiastic reception from Industry at SHOT. We are in the process of putting together some relationships that will be good for the industry and the shooters alike. We did make a few small rule tweaks in order to make it easier on the local range staff and even signed up some new ranges for local matches.

Registrations are rolling in and the marketing blitz has not really even started.

To Chuck's last comment...those of us in the shooting sports have always been quick to say we want more shooters. This is a great, low impact way for the skilled shooters who are not eligible to get their friends, family, co-workers etc. into competitive shooting. If you all take a few people, the experience they will get at the local and then the regional level is designed to make that entry as easy as possible.

If you would like a view from the top from not only a person who understands TV and marketing, but who has been involved with almost every major action shooting sport at the time of inception, read his response to a naysayer, especially look at his 4th and 5th paragraphs...

http://www.gunnuts.net/2016/01/25/i-was-wrong-about-american-marksman/

• 4 weeks later...