Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting on the move

elftech86

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When moving, do you keep the gun up with sights in front? As a general rule, that is.

if i'm shooting stuff, absolutely, if i'm close to having to shoot stuff, like coming into a position, yes, I get the gun up so I can start shooting as soon as I have an acceptable sight picture. If i'm running a longazz ways, not really, but after I'm done reloading I do keep it fairly high and in front of me so i can keep track of it.

If running long enough to get some speed, the gun is in one hand, and I just mind that it is well inside the safe sector. When shooting is imminent, gun is up and between my eyes and the target (where ever the target might be).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Its way easier to shoot upon approach than backing away. Slowing and being on right foot when trigger breaks works well for me. And only doing it on close targets I am completely confident with. I also redefined what "On the move meant". I am old and fat. I found that going from dead stop to moving isnt quick. If I can shoot a target or two while transitioning from a stopped position really helped my stage times. I doubt If anyone watching thought I was even moving when I shot. The trick to being old and fat is multi-tasking.

Edited by AJquinn

Shooting on the move has always been quite a challenge... at least for me. have noticed that it is much easier to shoot will pulling away from a target; as opposed to driving into one. Does anyone else have this issue? And, any tips to better one's engagement while moving forward? Thanks for the advice.

Good stuff, which leads to the obvious question,....why does pulling away seem easier, than driving into the target,...when we are shooting on the move?

For most people the pulling away, or backing up and shooting, is easier because the movement is smoother. Why? Because when we back up our foot strike is from balls of feet transitioning to heel. Depending on speed, the heel may never strike at all with some shooters. Driving in or shooting moving forward, our solid heel strikes first, which offers no cushion, except that which is provided by the knee, hence bend at the knees, then bend more.

Watching the great gymnast and dancers move is a lesson in smooth. We find that their heads do not bob up and down and their gate is almost unrecognizable as they move to and fro. They seem to move smoothly, fluidly, and gracefully. Why? Because forwards or backwards they strike balls of feet first, heels barely touching or never.

So............

Either bend your knees more, much more......when moving forward and shooting.

Or

Or

Wait for it........

Take ballet.

Edited by Chris iliff

Shooting on the move has always been quite a challenge... at least for me. have noticed that it is much easier to shoot will pulling away from a target; as opposed to driving into one. Does anyone else have this issue? And, any tips to better one's engagement while moving forward? Thanks for the advice.

Good stuff, which leads to the obvious question,....why does pulling away seem easier, than driving into the target,...when we are shooting on the move?

lack of practice? Driving into the target seems easier to me at the same movement speed, but that's because I have practiced it alot.

You should learn to either be on the balls of your feet, center of gravity over toes, or get your knees bent far, and roll heel to toe with your legs further forward than you normally walk. Both methods feel strange at first but practice lots. Also practice going from a dead run to a studder step to slow, and into your rolling shooting walk, then explode again.

I talked a lot with some pretty successful shooters about shooting on the move and also watched their videos as I started including that technique into my training sessions. They do not recommend that at all. In matches they do not do that beyond 3-5m of target distance. Never mind, if trained correctly and used with care I think there is an advantge. So I keep on training.....

Looking at the video I posted, I think he only engaged one target set while moving. And those targets were quite close, within that 3-5m, IIRC.

I assume you include the AMU team under the rubric of 'successful shooters"?

Looking at the video I posted, I think he only engaged one target set while moving. And those targets were quite close, within that 3-5m, IIRC.

I assume you include the AMU team under the rubric of 'successful shooters"?

I do, of course, as well as those guys winning level 3 IPSC matches here in europe. I was just surprised of their advice after watching vids like the one in this thread.

I talked a lot with some pretty successful shooters about shooting on the move and also watched their videos as I started including that technique into my training sessions. They do not recommend that at all. In matches they do not do that beyond 3-5m of target distance. Never mind, if trained correctly and used with care I think there is an advantge. So I keep on training.....

There is no one size fits all solution. There are often targets beyond 3-5 yards that I think make sense to shoot on the move, just because the target is in a place where it's the only thing to shoot. OTOH, if there are 4 targets available from there and 2 of them are partials, it makes more sense to stop and shoot them all from a stable position.

There are also many occasions where mag capacity and stage planning my encourage you to shoot a target on the move. If there are 6 targets at the end of a hallway, but I can see one of them while coming down the hallway, I am very likely to shoot that one, then reload coming into the end, then engage the other 5 targets with my 10 rounds.

I would also count the first and last targets of most positions if they are open targets as being shot 'on the move', and being able to shoot on the move makes it much easier to shoot early coming into a position or as you are stepping out.

There are not many places where you can shoot LOTS of targets on the move, but there are at least a few targets in almost every match I shoot where I think it is advantageous to shoot on the move, even shooting SS where I often have other things to do while moving too.

Edited by motosapiens

• 2 weeks later...

An Airsoft gun and cardboard targets in my yard has helped with movement.

This is a fantastic training tool for movement. Especially if you live in the city and cannot shoot every day like us country folks ;). But even with a private range, I cannot shoot every day for a bunch of reasons. I did have an airsoft at one point but it broke after a few years of hard use. I actually got it while deployed from a shop in the community one day on patrol. It was mainly used to harass the other dudes in the platoon :) nothing like a few airsoft pellets to the @$$ when you are walking out of the shower :devil:

This is a fantastic training tool for movement. Especially if you live in the city and cannot shoot every day like us country folks ;). But even with a private range, I cannot shoot every day for a bunch of reasons. I did have an airsoft at one point but it broke after a few years of hard use. I actually got it while deployed from a shop in the community one day on patrol. It was mainly used to harass the other dudes in the platoon :) nothing like a few airsoft pellets to the @$$ when you are walking out of the shower :devil:

Word of caution on airsoft in the city, some areas (and neighbors) will ho bat snit crazy seeing "a man with a gun", it may be fine but it may also be frowned upon. Makes me happy to have a home range, even it 18yds is the current max distance. Will be adding some movement areas to it, for sure.

Word of caution on airsoft in the city, some areas (and neighbors) will ho bat snit crazy seeing "a man with a gun", it may be fine but it may also be frowned upon. Makes me happy to have a home range, even it 18yds is the current max distance. Will be adding some movement areas to it, for sure.

Yea thats a good point. You can always shoot down a long hallway or a basement inside if your town doesnt like seeing grown men running around with guns!

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I had this problem for a long time. Practice walking rolling your foot heel to toe, slow down a little, and last just start trying it anytime you get a chance. Nothing beats practicing under the clock at small matches.

• 2 weeks later...

I think shooting on the move depends on your skill level and stage.  If you try to do something beyond your skill level and end up with misses then it would have been better for you to stop.  This is something I practice and it is very hard to master.  I will say when the ground is unstable this can also be a factor.  That being said I know shooting on the move is for me at pretty close targets and even then its best to be moving at a slow enough speed where I can still get good sight picture. If your not seeing your gun on the target then your moving to fast unless your right on top of the targets.