Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting on the move

elftech86

Shooting on the move has always been quite a challenge... at least for me. have noticed that it is much easier to shoot will pulling away from a target; as opposed to driving into one. Does anyone else have this issue? And, any tips to better one's engagement while moving forward? Thanks for the advice.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Move fast when covering long distance with no shooting. When you get close you need to lower your center of gravity, take smaller steps, and get your gun up. This will allow you to start shooting as you come into position (or even before). If you are just talking about generally shooting my moving forward the same principals apply. I think going backwards is easier because you will naturally do it slower. Slow down while shooting and really focus using you legs to absorb all the up-down movement. Your upper body need to stay on a straight path otherwise you will be throwing your shots all over the place. Generally I think it is the moving too fast that gets people.

Walking backwards you naturally roll on your feet, you want to take that same natural rolling on your feet and do that while going forward to help minimize bouncing. A lot of people will 'bounce' while moving forward. Being able to roll from heel to toe will help make you much smoother and be able to get on target faster

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Walking backwards you naturally roll on your feet, you want to take that same natural rolling on your feet and do that while going forward to help minimize bouncing. A lot of people will 'bounce' while moving forward. Being able to roll from heel to toe will help make you much smoother and be able to get on target faster

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

What him said! And, don't try to move too fast.

As already stated, dry fire this A LOT. That is how I mastered the process, and I often get positive comments on my ability.

Did some training for shooting on the move the last weeks, was surprised how easy that goes when observing two things: pull the gun closer to your body, pull the trigger when one foot is in the air. That works for me excellent, up to 15m forward and backward.

Someone once recommended resting a shot glass of liquid on the slide, (if possible) and walk around keeping it stable. I would imagine balancing a shot of whiskey might be more motivating. LOL.

No, I am not condoning the mix of alcohol and firearms,

This is very tough for me. I try to visualize carrying a glass of water as I move.

Or walk around your back :) yard with a glass almost full of water, holding it with both hands in your shooting position.

I find it more constructive to walk around in the back yard with a handgun, holding it in the shooting position, and pointing it at targets. This may not be accepted practice in all neighborhoods, but no one in idaho seems to be concerned.

the thing about the water is I don't really care if it sloshes around a bit in between shots. I only need the gun to be stable enough that the sights are in the right place when it goes off.

Edited by motosapiens

the thing about the water is I don't really care if it sloshes around a bit in between shots. I only need the gun to be stable enough that the sights are in the right place when it goes off.

That's my thought. I walk around with a clear water bottle filled to a black line. Goal is for the water to be nice and calm when on the target and not so much when I'm moving.

I laughed at the video of the treadmill. I imagined that the reaction people would have to bringing a treadmill to the range would be a lot better than the reaction of folks in a gym if you started doing dry fire drills while on a treadmill.

• 2 weeks later...

Lol! I'm sure the YMCA might not appreciate that too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not if you're air gunning with nothing in the hands.

I've gotten quizzical looks, but no freak outs where ever I've done that.

Other hints for shooting on the move:

Bent knees, narrow stance, don't let the feet slap down (think of rolling each foot forward from the heel, along the outside edge of the sole up to the ball of the foot), and remember to turn the upper body as a unit to index on each target (think of a tank turret).

ETA: Oops, I see TT covered all that - well, good to know I hit the right points. Couple other little ones, I like to have footwear with a flexible sole and rounded heel when possible. For me this facilitates the rolling of the foot. I also find that I bounce less if the gun is pulled in a little.

I am not at the point in my shooting development where I can break the shot from any stance or position. I still need to have my stance/position/movement lead into the shot as I break it, so I am one who needs the water bottle or glass to be steady during the entire time I am engaging targets on the move.

Edited by kevin c