Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

NEW: Walther Q5 Match - New awesome production guns showing up everywh

EngineerEli

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not quite. Mine is a little closer to the knuckle.

20160614_171710_zpscfpcpfdj.jpg

I have never gotten a blister there in 8 years of shooting Sigs in USPSA.

^^^

This is exactly where I feel it when I hold the pistol. It's also what I figured would happen if I put any substantial number of rounds through the pistol, which is why I didn't even consider buying it after dry-firing it at the store. The pistol I tried had the medium grip. I suppose that going to a larger grip would make it worse (or at least, not make it any better). I usually need to put the largest backstrap on every pistol I buy or I don't have room to have my support hand make any contact with the grip.

Back when I primarily shot revolvers, I would shave down the wood grip on the side where it would contact my knuckle. If I didn't (or if I shot a high PF load through a wheelgun with rubber grips), I would see that same missing skin. I find myself subconsciously rotating the gun around in my hand which causes me to push shots to the left.

It must be something about the anatomy of my hand. It happens with a number of different guns if I shoot a ton of rounds or if they are heavily recoiling... usually not the skin / blister, but a lot of soreness in the knuckle area. It's just that it is much worse with certain guns. I could tell right away that the PPQ would be one of them.

FWIW, I went back to the medium backstrap and did not have this problem anymore. However, the medium feels a bit too small. I may try building it up a little with some tape. Or it may become my wife's toy and I'll wait for a P320 Target. :)

I just picked up one of these today. I looked at the SIG-320 as well and the Q5 with the large blackstrap was a better fit for me. The backstrap extends all the way under the beaver-tail creating a much wider grip than I've found with other polymer guns. The new scope won't arrive until next week so I'll have to wait a few days until I can get it sighted in.

I'm going to head to the range tomorrow and sight it in, only 1 week to the Area 3 match so if it runs ok this weekend then I may use it in Nebraska. The trigger is not bad out of the box, I can definitively feel the safety plunger disengaging so I might get a lighter spring for it to smooth out the pull a little.

Yes, it's flush. I think a good gunsmith could probably find a way to fit the scope onto the slide without the mounting plate, though there s very little material left once the plate is removed. The scope is about the same height as on my XDM.

First match with the Q5 today and it was a little frustrating. I'm using reloaded ammo, making about 130PF and I was getting a lot of failure to eject issues.

The slide was not moving far enough back to eject the case. The recoil spring that was supplied with the gun feels about 17lb's which for a gun shooting Minor ammo seems like overkill. I ran a 14lb spring with my XDM (it was supplied with a 16) and that made the gun work much better, so I think dropping the recoil spring weight on the Q5 will solve my problems.

My goal now is to get an aftermarket guide-rod and a few different spring weights to find something a more reliable setup. In the meantime I have some factory ammo that makes about 146PF so I will use that for the next match. If it works ok then I'll know the issue is the recoil spring.

My SIL just picked up a Q5 and we went and ran about 400 flawless rounds through it today. He bought a case of Freedom Munitions 115 grain and it ran great. Best out of the box trigger I've ever felt and is slightly better than his dad's PPQ M2 which also ain't shabby. It's far more accurate than my M&P 9Pro. If I didn't already have a full stable of M&Ps I'd be all over this platform. I guess I need to be ordering some Apex barrels.

Edit: When I move into CO division I may just go this route anyway. Tough call since I have all the gear now except the gun.

Edited by Shadowrider

I just found that Spring-co make a guide rod for the PPQ M2/Q5, it comes with a red recoil spring but there is an option for a yellow spring and the description of that yellow coded spring states:

Reduced Power 9mm Replacement Chrome Silicon - Moly Plated - Cryogenic Processed Recoil Spring. Designed for use with 147 Gr. Minor PF Production and Subsonic loads in 4" and 5" P99 / PPQ Variants

So it sounds to me like this is a known issue for 147 grain bullets out of a PPQ.

I haven't tried any 147's, but I have run ~700 rounds of 124gr loaded to 135PF with no issues. I'm using the stock rod/spring.

My wife tried out the PPQ and likes it better than I do, so I suppose it's hers now. :)

The gun runs the higher velocity ammo without any problem, its the subsonic 147 that appears to be the issue. Your 124 grains is traveling at 1088 fps, my 147's are going about 200 fps slower than that (about 884). I don't think that's enough to overcome the recoil spring.

I ran some Freedom Munitions 124gr on Sunday and the gun was fine.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I just got the Q5 with a FF3 optic. Never tried a red dot before. What a blast! 

I ordered the springs to get the trigger weight down to around 3.5lbs. Also got the taran tactical +5 base pads. Next plan to get  a stainless steel guiderod and a 13lb spring. 

I'm using some left over 124g Montana Gold JHP's.  I'll be out soon and will be using blue bullets. Do guys recommend 147g with a red dot? Guess I could get some sample packs of the 124g, 135g, and the 147g and see which I like best. 

I put in the light trigger return spring and the light firing pin block and holy crap what an awesome trigger. Breaks at 3lbs now! 

Where did you get the springs? I'm building one up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hoping since Walther is putting up tons of cash for USPSA the pistol will become more popular and 3rd party will start making more stuff for it. A reduced weight trigger spring kit shouldn't be this hard to find!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

36 minutes ago, 3djedi said:

I hoping since Walther is putting up tons of cash for USPSA the pistol will become more popular and 3rd party will start making more stuff for it. A reduced weight trigger spring kit shouldn't be this hard to find!

You would think so. I guess so many businesses are already invested in other platforms that they don't want to take the risk. It's worse for the FNS. 

On 2/7/2017 at 8:26 PM, 3djedi said:

How much do you think Walther is actually putting up?

With a minimum of 6 competitors in a class, that kinda of eliminates most USPSA Area Matches for Carry Optics, at last glace I saw a couple of Area matches with only 7-8 people total signed up, which leaves just about only Optics Nationals as a potential payout. I'm sure it's possible for someone. I don't see anyone winning, much less shooting a PPQ in Limited, so that money is fairly safe. I don't know too many people who are shooting a PPQ at the GM/M level (I know at least one M) so I suspect their money is pretty safe at those levels in Production as well. (M Class Carry Optic's....they may end up paying out there.....)

Now I don't know IDPA anymore, and there are definitely people in the divisions there, but I'd bet Walther pays out less than $20k in prize money this year, probably close to $10-12k, further I'd bet that they end up spending more advertising the contingency program.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, I think it's a good thing, and it's a great marketing concept for a gun that is underappreciated. I'd love it if they did pay out a ton, but I'd suspect most of their money is really pretty safe.

Edited by sundevil827