Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Moltke

Rifle splits

Moltke   

After shooting some 3GN regionals this year it was apparent to me that my rifle splits and transitions inside 50 yards are slower than other people and I think its because I DO in fact make sure to see my sights for every shot instead of double tapping papers. Who here is just straight up double tapping and moving on?

I seem to recall, a year or two ago, that someone posted (One of our

esteemed rifle experts) that they had a gun double on them, and

they hit a 8" plate twice at 75 yards (both numbers are probably

as close as my old brain will remember, but not exact).

Sounds to me like a true double tap should be possible with

a good set up/comp. :cheers:

The dot doesn't have to recover. You can keep it in view the whole time. When you fire the 2nd shot you can still see if the dot was on or off the target. I would never suggesting throwing 2 shots with 1 sight picture.

There should be a sight picture for every shot. You should not be losing the target with an ar. If you are, something is wrong. I'm just a regular shooter, but I'm running splits in the .16-.18 range and seeing every shot. It may be time to call up a local GM and get a lesson. You aren't too far from Larry Brown. He can be a little abrasive at a match, because he is an intense competitor, but I can promise you, when you take a lesson from him, you are his number one priority. I had been a competitor for years, and my scores had plateaued, so I figured I needed a lesson. Man, what an eye opener. Worth every penny.

If you practice and have good form and a comp that is tuned to hold you pretty steady, double taps with no intentionally second sight picture inside of 25 is very reasonable.

bushmeat   

The "quicker" guys might be running adjustable gas, hoser loads and lightened bolts and buffers. Or have names like Jordan, Horner or Miculek.

On 12/22/2015 at 0:39 PM, Moltke said:

Who here is just straight up double tapping and moving on?

*raises hand*

To a point I guess.  If I notice my dot wander off the target in the duration of breaking two shots, I will re-engage.  Rifle length gas, LMOS carrier, adjustable gas, compensator, somewhat heavy barrel....  If my dot is on the target when the first shot breaks it is rarely off the target as the second shot breaks.  I am pretty much shooting one sight picture, two shots, on hoser rifle paper.  

Vertical video example:  Old, old video....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMYTdsc3FUQ

Edited by Vespid_Wasp

mike4045   
On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 7:29 PM, Vespid_Wasp said:

*raises hand*

To a point I guess.  If I notice my dot wander off the target in the duration of breaking two shots, I will re-engage.  Rifle length gas, LMOS carrier, adjustable gas, compensator, somewhat heavy barrel....  If my dot is on the target when the first shot breaks it is rarely off the target as the second shot breaks.  I am pretty much shooting one sight picture, two shots, on hoser rifle paper.  

Vertical video example:  Old, old video....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMYTdsc3FUQ

I double tap. I see my dot floating in the target. If it happens to float out of target I will reengage. Looking for 2 anywhere, I do just that if it's brown I pull the trigger. I can do this out to about 40yds.  I use a 16 and 18 inch gun, mid length and std carriers.