Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

$$$ in plastic guns?

BillR1

Could someone kindly explain to me the reasoning behind spending ~$1K (barrel/trigger/sight upgrades, etc.) on an M&P when a more accurate and solid gun can be had for less money? Seriously, what am I missing? I used to shoot M&Ps quite a bit, but I fail to see the logic of spending that much cash on a polymer gun just to get something with acceptable accuracy. For >$1K, I could get a nearly competition-ready CZ Shadow and have a more accurate and far more durable gun than any polymer firearm.

I would think a big part of it is the weight and the trigger. Polymer guns are much lighter, and some prefer them for transition feel/speed. Also some people prefer the striker trigger mechanism, over having to deal with the DA/SA triggers in all steel framed guns. I am frankly still waiting to see a well done steel framed striker fired competition gun. That would be really cool!

I would think a big part of it is the weight and the trigger. Polymer guns are much lighter, and some prefer them for transition feel/speed. Also some people prefer the striker trigger mechanism, over having to deal with the DA/SA triggers in all steel framed guns. I am frankly still waiting to see a well done steel framed striker fired competition gun. That would be really cool!

I don't know...a few weeks of dedicated dry-fire would make that DA first shot a non-issue. The trigger is better than a striker-fired gun for shots #2 through the end of the stage.

The weight/transition is a valid point, although some feel that the advantages of a heavier gun outweigh the transition differences.

Just really curious...

I went down that road with Glocks. For me, the reasoning was that Glocks are reliable, and reliability matters. The guys I saw shooting STIs had no end of trouble with jams, etc... So I figured I was being smart.

Finally figured out that most of the STI issues I saw resulted from the user not the gun, and made the jump. But that was my reasoning.

Also, my open Glock 17 was waaay cheaper than a cheap STI open gun.

Many people are simply looking for reliability in a "combat" or "duty" situation as they might carry a plasic gun daily. Personally ill only take a plastic striker fired gun in dirty abusive situations. I have personally seen glocks and even my M&P shield go through things that would render a CZ or other DA/SA pistols useless. While I absolutely love my CZ SP01 and my 1911's, I compete with my tuned up glock 34 for that reason. Another reason I compete with a Glock (tuned up) is so do not have a problem transitioning back to my work guns (Glock). I went back and forth for a while since I legitimately do shoot my 1911 and CZ better, but going back and forth give me some problems. I now let the 1911's and CZ look cool in the safe aside from casual range days and abuse the $h!# out of my glock 34.

• 2 weeks later...

I cant speak for everyone but for me a big part of it is cost. I run a Glock 34 in production and a Glock 24 in limited. I got the 34 for $400 used and it already had a good set of sights on it and I "built" a glock 24 for about $550 due to them not being available in CA. I dont do any other fancy upgrades, stock triggers and springs etc. I would also add I stick to Glock since its what I use at work and I'd like to remain consistent.

When the steel guns were having inventory problems, the only option was plastic; and it's a plus that plastic guns can accommodate shooters with large & small hands. Regarding accuracy, most shooters will admit that the plastic gun is more accurate than the individual using it.

When it comes to spending money on guns and accessories, it's only a fraction of what we spend on gas, match fee, & ammo. So don't feel bad, it's only a matter of time until you buy another one anyway ???

So lets say there is a $800 dedicated in upgrades for a plastic gun. How much does that really matter compared to what you spend the rest of the year? The initial cost of a gun, upgrades, and such, is far over shadowed by consumable costs.

12 club matches a year ($20 per)- $240

Ammo for matches (200 rounds ish, $12/100)- $288

Sectional Match - $100

Practice ammo (5,000 rounds, then 15,000, $120 per k) - $600/$1,800

If you are super cool: Area match - $100?

Ammo - $36

Class- $500

Ammo - $120

So in a year, your consumable costs range from $1,228 to $3,184. This does not include travel, lodging, or gas. So why worry about a bit of money put into a gun that the person enjoys? Especially when you factor a $800 set of upgrades for a plastic gun over...3/4 years?

Shoot what you like, and enjoy our sport...it is a sport for fun after all.

• 1 year later...

Thankfully, I didn't make this move.  Purchased my G34 through Blue Label at a steal, then shot it for nearly 2 years in comp.  Began considering mods to squeeze every bit of performance I could out of the firearm (after seeing other competitors to the same).  Totaled up the cost of making a hi-speed G34 and couldn't justify it based on what else was available for the same price.  Long story short, stock G34 is now the wife's gun and I spent the money on a Shadow.