Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Adi Limited Powders

mikeg

I am using ADI limited -AS-50N powders for my 9mm loads (124 gr lead over 3.7 gr AS-50N ave 1040 FPS), I have a jug of the stuff barely used. Now I am going for .400 caliber standard division in IPSC, has any of you use the same powder. If so can you share some recipies. I plan to use 180 gr bullets, seating will be 1.180". Or do I have to use a different powder. Your opinions please.

Thanks

I have used a fair amount of ADI powders, and found AP-50 better in the handgun than the AS50. It is less bulky and meters better through a powder measure.

AP-50 or AS-50 are not listed by ADI for 40cal for Jacketed but there are some good loads for lead.

ADI suggest AP70 as a better all round powder than the AP50 in 40S&W.

They list 3.8gr AP50 with a Lead 170gr at 895fps. I would suggest that they used a 1.15" (29mm) or thereabouts load length. Start at 3.5grains and go careful with a 180gr Lead or Jacketed. Some people have found that AS50 and AP50 data are interchangeable but you must proceed with caution if you interchange any of the data I have given you. AS50 is in fact a haresbreath slower than AP50.

I have found that anything that works well in 45ACP should be a starter for the 40S&W.

BTW ADI list that AP50 gives 1000fps with a lead 125gr and a 4" barrel. I am suprized you need that much in the 9mm.

gm iprod,

Thanks for the insight, I might try my AS-50N for .400. I will load some rounds and test its velocity and accuracy.

With my 9mm load, I am using a Tangolio 9mm, it seems to like the 3.7 gr when I use lead any lower than that it keyholes on paper. And I like the Higher power factor for safety margin.

Thanks again

Mike,

Has your Tanfoglio got a std rifling barrel or Polyagonal like a Glock?

If Glock like then try a heavier bullet and slow it down. I found in my P19 Ltd that unless I shot Jacleted I got poor accuracy and keyholing. Then I heard here a bunch of guys using heavier lead projectiles in the Glocks. I tried that and it is now fine on lead, just go heavy and slow.

Good Luck with the 40Cal

That is a problem that plagues the ADI range, they are just a little too flaky (same applies to the Hodgdon Clays range, as they are made in Australia for Hodgdon).

It is the main problem I have with it as well. I lowered the inconsistancies by using the new style Dillon Powder return system but put the old long return spring back on the powder bar. This causes the bar to return part way and stop HARD against the safety lock. When the platform is lowered the powder bar snaps back real hard. This causes the powder to be aggressively shaken and this in turn causes the powder to be dropped into the bar cleanly and quickly. Which is the key to powder drop consistancy.

Ball Powders, Short Cut Extruded and V V run through powder measures better, and if you use my modification they run even better.