Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stock 2 failure to extract issue

vixty

The gun has between 2-3k rounds through it and i cleaned the extractor after it happened a week ago during practice.

Today on a stage the gun jammed up because it didnt extract the fired brass and tried to feed the next round. Dropped the mag and racked to slide to clear. I shot 6 more times to finish the stage and when i went to clear the gun i noticed it had done the same thing again but luckly on the last shot of the stage. I highly doubt the spring is bad and the extractor doesnt look damaged in any way. I attached a photo of the malfunction.

Any thoughts?

post-59822-0-06169300-1443306323_thumb.j

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm having the same problem with my stock 3. It started on 7-25-15 and I wish I could tell you that I solved this... So far I went back (from a 10#) to the stock recoil spring, I added an extra power extractor spring and last week changed out my extractor... Yesterday on the next-to-last array it happen again, but luckily my R.O.

is a Tanfo shooter. After the stage he said "you need to get rid of that mag." He was telling me that the magazine is causing my problems, that the mouth of the mag is stretched. He told me to take a caliper to my mags... most of my mag's were .342" - .345", the mag in question was .362". The way I understood him (and I could be way off) is the bullet in the "bad" mag is sitting to high and when the slide is ejecting the spent casing, that bullet is hitting the bottom of the spent casing and when the slide is returning to battery is sending both forward....

I hope this works, because this is getting old...

like I said, I'm having the same problem... this was one man's input on the issue I'm having. I've tried everything I know to do, even as far as rechecking all my ammo. I took his suggestion and calipered the mag's I shoot during that stage and found one that was .020" over the other ones I have. a 9mm bullet is .355 dia, with casing it becomes .3799 dia or less. don't know anything about CZ mags, but a (5yr old) M&P mag has a .336" lip...

Check your extractor tension. Slide brass up breach face under extractor and there should be enough tension to hold the round in place. Try several different pieces of brass from diff. manufacturers. One of my Limited Elites in .40 works fine with an unaltered extractor, but my primary gun has to have the extractor fitted. I have to remove a little material from the pad behind the extractor hook to allow the extractor to travel in more. I have not seen a need to use an extra power spring. These extractors work very much like an Aftec when they are fitted right.

yes, i would suggest anyone having an issue where it's leaving brass in the chamber it's extractor related. I had the same issue on my GT but in that case the extractor tip was broken. To get through the days practice I swapped in the only spare extractor I had on hand (9mm extractor, gun is 38 super). funnily enough it worked about 90% but would still leave the odd case in the chamber. new extractor fixed it right up.

I mention this only as it's possible the wrong extractor is in the gun. given a couple of you guys have very new guns it's unlikely the extractor is already damaged.

My suggestion would be if you have this issue remove the extractor, examine it for any damage and also check it for identifying marks. my memory is that a 9mm should have a 9 stamped on the extractor. 38 super has an 8 on it. not sure about 40 cal.

in vixty's pic I can see the pad has been filed down on one of those extractors which should have given it more grab but might have caused problems. either way they look significantly different enough that I can imagine one would work and one wouldn't.

a spare extractor is a good thing to have in your spares kit. :)

kendar10,

The markings on the extractors seem to vary or change from time to time.

EAA ( which can be unreliable ) told me the last versions that they received were marked as follows,

9mm - was unmarked

40 - was marked 40

45 - was marked 45/38

10 - was unmarked

In my opinion this system of markings does not give me a whole lot of confidence that I'm getting the correct extractor. If there is any difference between them, ( ie. 9mm or 10mm , I don't own a 10mm so I would not be able to compare the two. )

Add to it, ordering from EAA can be a crap shoot. I have a feeling they sometimes don't confirm the parts they ship, or even do an inventory of there parts bins to make sure the correct items are in there respective boxes when they go to pull them.

That being said, I ordered a bunch of parts from Eric Grauffel a month ago, and one item was a 9mm extractor,

which had no markings on it. And it works just fine. ( Eric is also great to work with ).

Unfortunately sometimes you might have to install the extractor first, before you'll know the end results.

Best of luck.

Edited by gennaro

I have had this issue for around 20k rounds.

I have tried an XP extractor spring, another XP extractor spring, a new extractor, and nothing has worked.

I am of the belief that it is purely a brass issue. I have run 500 brass through the gun, seen which ones had issues, and the ones that didn't I kept and reloaded for a major match. Didn't have issues with any of them.

WJM

its funny that you mention brass as the issue becuase today my CZ TS was doing the same exact thing. However What i have noticed is its only happned when i used BBI loads in both guns. My S2 has never had the extraction issue when using xtreme bullets. Not sure how that would cause the issue unless somehow the shape of the BB's is catching on the extracting round.

I have also tried different bullets. Has happened with Montana Golds along with Xtremes.

At this point for match ammo I am going to be buying Starline, testing them out once, and then loading them all the same over the winter to make sure that the bullets work.

• 5 months later...

I think I solved this issue. Basically I think I had replaced the extractor with either a non stock one, or a different one. Or perhaps the springs got confused when I put the new extractor in, and it may have been my old Tanfoglio Stock 2 .40 extractor spring.

Don't know exactly, however, I replaced it and have been almost 8k rounds through both my guns without a malfunction. LPS, extraction, anything.

Wyatt

• 1 year later...

Has anyone solved this issue or know what is different with the non working extractor vs a working one? I dont like the solution of buying a bunch of extractors and testing them to stumble onto a working one. I have this issue coming back after seemingly going away for about 1500+ rounds. When I first got my tanfo it happened very frequently so I swapped the extractor out for one with a 9 on it and filed on the tab to increase tension and also installed an XP spring which seemed to have solved the problem. But last practice session it happened again, three times with brass that worked before. Happened with once fired same headstamp case as well which ran for about 1500 rounds prior to popping up again.

There was a decent amount of crud in there but the same malfunction has happened before when the gun was freshly cleaned. I dont really understand how a fired case stays in the chamber and the extractor slips off of it with the amount of tension it has with the XP spring and already having filed the tab to increase tension. I have an extra extractor that was originally in the gun and it is unaltered, dimensions vary in many areas on that extractor vs the one with a 9 on it. So far neither of the two are 100% reliable.