Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What will break on a Glock?

csailer

I've had a Glock 34 for a little more than a year now, with no replacement parts other than switching out a striker spring. What will break or need replacement? I don't want to have anything give way in a big match. Anyone have any experience with parts breaking?

Thanks,

Chris

The only part I have HAD to replace is an extractor. Had a case head separation that blew the magazine and the extractor out. Found all of the parts except the extractor.

Otherwise I have common parts like extra trigger springs, recoil springs, connectors, triggers, as well as many other parts in my parts case. About the only things I do not have are barrels, frames, and locking blocks because all 4 Glocks are different models and calibers so those parts are not interchangeable.

I had one of the locking block pins break once. The one that sits over the slide release spring. That's been it for me, over about 23,000 rounds of minor PF.

I have a friend who had the trigger pin break, and an extractor as well, on the same gun at the same match. It was a G24, with about 16k on it that year alone.

I had one of the locking block pins break once. The one that sits over the slide release spring. That's been it for me, over about 23,000 rounds of minor PF.

I have a friend who had the trigger pin break, and an extractor as well, on the same gun at the same match. It was a G24, with about 16k on it that year alone.

I had a locking block pin break after 8,000 or so 180PF .40 loads

Plunger safety, locking block pin and recoil springs are what I have personally seen fail or wear down to the point of needing replaced. There are only 30 some odd parts in a Glock, so other than the frame, slide and barrel I carry replacements. I shoot full house 40 loads as well.

As said the trigger spring is the most common part to break. Only part I've ever had break on a Glock was a firing pin spacer sleeve. Gun still functioned fine with a crack in the spacer sleeve, only noticed it when I detail stripped it.

The only part I have HAD to replace is an extractor. Had a case head separation that blew the magazine and the extractor out. Found all of the parts except the extractor.

Otherwise I have common parts like extra trigger springs, recoil springs, connectors, triggers, as well as many other parts in my parts case. About the only things I do not have are barrels, frames, and locking blocks because all 4 Glocks are different models and calibers so those parts are not interchangeable.

I saw that happen to a friend of mine, twice in the same night. We found the extractor the first time and I actually got it back in the slide without dis-assembly and that ain't easy. (I had never played with a Glock at that time.). Both times it was with Fiocchi brass that ruptured. I dissected some brass and found Fiocchi to be thinner than other brands where the brass is unsupported in a Glock chamber.

While not a part failure it will be the end of your day without a replacement part.

Trigger spring, and slide stop (spring) are the most common failures. I've got a G34 and G17 (both gen4's) that both have 40K+ without issue and without replacing anything. I'll bring the G17gen4 to larger matches for spare parts and or a backup pistol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Trigger spring broke once, but the recoil reset the trigger so I did not realize it right away. The trigger felt funny but the gun still fired. After I finished the stage, I looked at the gun apart at the safe table and replaced the spring, all in under 2 minutes. Got to respect that simplicity from a curtain rod maker!

• 2 months later...

Since 92, over 350,000 rounds thru various Glocks, about 170,000 on my oldest 2 pin G17, and experienced the following breakages:

trigger reset springs

slide lock spring (little L shaped spring in the frame)

slide lock itself (just wore the tab paper thin)

slide stop lever (spring went dead)

locking block pin walking out (didn't break)

firing pin spring (not broken, light strikes)

chipped extractor on a G21 (loaned it to a buddy who ran several matches and loaded it by putting a round in the chamber first)

sheared the barrel lug of on that same G21

cracked slides on the G17 (twice, due to running over 20,000 rounds of +P+)

The best spare parts kit is a 2nd gun...

image37050.jpg

new firing pin spring length

image37091.jpg

I have a gen 2 model 22 that recently broke the locking block. It also had a broken ejector. I had the Glock armored go through it at the recent GSSF match and he replaced both parts as well as replacing the trigger spring and guide rod/recoil spring.

• 7 months later...