Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2015 USPSA LTD/Open Nationals lack of updates...... WTF?

CHA-LEE

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks. The reason I asked is that the facebook search would not find that page using "uspsa" nor "united states practical shooting" nor "us practical shooting". It had to be exactly "U.S. Practical shooting...", with those embedded periods.

Just saying, if needed info is going to be on that page, then if the page were a little easier to find, or even mentioned on the uspsa website, then perhaps some of this confusion could be avoided.

Thanks. The reason I asked is that the facebook search would not find that page using "uspsa" nor "united states practical shooting" nor "us practical shooting". It had to be exactly "U.S. Practical shooting...", with those embedded periods.

Just saying, if needed info is going to be on that page, then if the page were a little easier to find, or even mentioned on the uspsa website, then perhaps some of this confusion could be avoided.

If you look at the main page of the USPSA website, there is a Facebook symbol on the right side of the page, click on that and it will take you to the Facebook site.

Registration for the Limited Nationals begins at 1 pm on October 3rd at the Universal Shooting Academy Pavilion. Open/L10 Registration will be at 1 pm on October 7th, also at the Universal Shooting Academy Pavilion.

Competitors are expected to attend registration during this time to complete the registration process, sign waivers, pick up score card labels, etc.

If there are seriously extenuating circumstances that prevent you from registering during those time windows for the respective matches then you must present an email to either the Range Master, Troy McManus at dnroi@uspsa.org or to Registrar, Kim Williams at kim@uspsa.org and explain the circumstances, obtain permission to register late and secure your position in the match.

Failure to show up on time or to inform the appropriate parties will result in your removal from the match at close of registration, which will be 5 pm each day. We cannot guarantee your place in the match or your squad position will be honored otherwise and will reissue your position to a walk on should you not attend or inform the staff that you will be late.

NOTE: Even if permission is granted, it is still your responsibility to arrive on time with your designated squad to begin shooting at the appropriate time.

Thank you for your cooperation! We are looking forward to an awesome match in the Florida sun this week!

See you all soon,

B2B Nationals Staff

Registration for the Limited Nationals begins at 1 pm on October 3rd at the Universal Shooting Academy Pavilion. Open/L10 Registration will be at 1 pm on October 7th, also at the Universal Shooting Academy Pavilion.

Competitors are expected to attend registration during this time to complete the registration process, sign waivers, pick up score card labels, etc.

If there are seriously extenuating circumstances that prevent you from registering during those time windows for the respective matches then you must present an email to either the Range Master, Troy McManus at dnroi@uspsa.org or to Registrar, Kim Williams at kim@uspsa.org and explain the circumstances, obtain permission to register late and secure your position in the match.

Failure to show up on time or to inform the appropriate parties will result in your removal from the match at close of registration, which will be 5 pm each day. We cannot guarantee your place in the match or your squad position will be honored otherwise and will reissue your position to a walk on should you not attend or inform the staff that you will be late.

NOTE: Even if permission is granted, it is still your responsibility to arrive on time with your designated squad to begin shooting at the appropriate time.

Thank you for your cooperation! We are looking forward to an awesome match in the Florida sun this week!

See you all soon,

B2B Nationals Staff

Where else has this been posted at all? I'll be there in time but it would have been nice to get an email with this info instead of having to go to a third party web forum to find it.

And when exactly is Phil's last day? I can't wait.

Edited by waktasz

It's easier and quicker to update social media now a days then to update a website I'm sure. Really disappointed in the lack of communication so far.

It depends how the website is set up. I can post an update from the range to my site in less than 1 minute.

Jake or anyone else who has information:

Can you please clarify the statements by "awfaxis" in post #53 regarding registered shooters who will not arrive on Saturday and miss registration. He seems to imply that if you don't show up at registration, your slot is given away.

As a registered shooter who will not be showing up until Sunday morning, I would like to make sure that my slot is not give it away by contacting the appropriate person. Thanks in advance, Adam.

They had plenty of open slots for walk ons.

I just started shooting USPSA in March I think, I was able to walk up and buy a slot for $295.

To me it seems strange I am able to shoot it even though I didn't shoot in any of the slot series matches or earned my way in.

Yet they wanted the money so they let anyone shoot it.

There are 36 squads for both matches with 12 people per squad. A full match would indicate 432 competitors for each match.

The Self-Squadding page currently shows 304 for the Limited match and 340 for the Open match. The figures probably have not been updated for the last week or so but if they are current they have over 128 empty slots for Limited and just over 100 for the Open match, at $295 per competitor thats $64,900 of revenue.

Jake or anyone else who has information:

Can you please clarify the statements by "awfaxis" in post #53 regarding registered shooters who will not arrive on Saturday and miss registration. He seems to imply that if you don't show up at registration, your slot is given away.

As a registered shooter who will not be showing up until Sunday morning, I would like to make sure that my slot is not give it away by contacting the appropriate person. Thanks in advance, Adam.

They had plenty of open slots for walk ons.

I just started shooting USPSA in March I think, I was able to walk up and buy a slot for $295.

To me it seems strange I am able to shoot it even though I didn't shoot in any of the slot series matches or earned my way in.

Yet they wanted the money so they let anyone shoot it.

The Nationals were almost full at the other venues the USPSA has had over the years past. For some reason this National match has been left wanting. Came up short in the participation department. So if they have even one slot left unfilled, they want to fill it. They are set up and planning to have a full match and if it means walk ups, they will take them. Now just some info, I would not count on this many slots not being filled in 2016. Because of the lack of info/support from the .org, people don't want to risk airline tickets and the expense of coming if it's not worthy of being called The US Nationals. I think folks will be pleasantly surprised if they do come because Shannon doesn't joke around when it comes to putting on BIG matches. It's what Universal Shooting Academy is know for, that and some great training. Thanks to Jake we are getting some info. Plus I feel with new President the Nationals will be back to the match it has been in the past. I sure hope so.... Thanks

Edited by a matt

The Nationals were almost full at the other venues the USPSA has had over the years past. For some reason this National match has been left wanting. Came up short in the participation department. So if they have even one slot left unfilled, they want to fill it. They are set up and planning to have a full match and if it means walk ups, they will take them. Now just some info, I would not count on this many slots not being filled in 2016. Because of the lack of info/support from the .org, people don't want to risk airline tickets and the expense of coming if it's not worthy of being called The US Nationals. I think folks will be pleasantly surprised if they do come because Shannon doesn't joke around when it comes to putting on BIG matches. It's what Universal Shooting Academy is know for, that and some great training. Thanks to Jake we are getting some info. Thanks

Shannon puts on great matches.

But this is not a match that he is putting on, they rented his range.

Kim seemed confused David has to tell her how things are supposed to be handled.

Luckily she has good help and Shannon I am sure will do what he can to make the match a success.

Drove down to the Nats on Saturday morning. Nice facility, crap pro shop, friendly range officers and mostly friendly USPSA staff. The majority of the day was smiles and good times.

Except for one guy that bitched up his run, got penalized, and had a lengthy disagreement over it with the range master and two different staffers, everyone I saw was getting along, having a great time, celebrating their good stages and ruefully chuckling over their mistakes.

I was a bit worried over some borderline unsafe shooting practices that were necessary due to course layouts and a less than rigid concern for the safety of bystanders (bullet paths 110 degrees from firing line and no one watching spectators to make sure they stayed clear was the part that concerned me most). But supposedly everyone there was experienced and professional, including the spectators, so it's probably not a big deal and I was just being a picker of nits.

There were only about a dozen vendors and they didn't get set up until lunchtime. Only two gunmakers had pistols on display, STI and Atlas Gunworks.

STI had brought everything EXCEPT the Trubor (I asked, they didn't bring one) which was just amazingly poor planning on their part. So I checked out the DVC Open and it was very tight and well crafted but had a truly horrendous trigger: tons of slop, a long and gritty take-up, lots of over-travel and well over two pounds. Flagship of their fleet and it has a trigger like a $400 knock-off 1911. I felt bad for them.

Then I walked over to Atlas and tried their open gun. It wasn't quite as tight, probably from being a well-used demo model, and not as finely detailed as the DVC but it had a much better trigger. A little up & down movement and more slop than I like (tastes differ) but it was good enough to compete.

Dang, I wonder if I might be a trigger snob. Should I should seek professional help?

I was looking pretty hard but I didn't see a single open gun being used in competition that wasn't a 2011. A handful of the limited shooters were using CZ's and I saw a couple Glocks and M&P's, but in open class it was 2011's only all day long. Weird. I was hoping to find someone with a Tanfoglio I could paw at for a minute and expected to see at least one or two.

It was also weird to attend an event south of the Mason-Dixon line that didn't have a band. It's not a party in Dixie until someone sings some Jimmy Buffet or Lynyrd Skynyrd.

A few pics I took:

AK97syv.jpg

5gZ4M5K.jpg

xmlp6dU.jpg

to5Y3bA.jpg

It was also weird to attend an event south of the Mason-Dixon line that didn't have a band. It's not a party in Dixie until someone sings some Jimmy Buffet or Lynyrd Skynyrd.

There was a someone play guitar and singing during the protest period during awards.

This was my first nationals (Open) but I've been shooting USPSA for a long time. This match deserved the National Championship moniker. The disaster factor was high on many stages. There wasn't a stage where you could let your guard down. You paid for every mistake. The stages tested all requisite skill sets. Everyone I talked to that shot previous nationals said it was the toughest in recent years. Look at the match percentages at the top of Open. There are some great shooters in the mid to low 80% range. The match staff was great and showed a lot of poise in some blistering weather Friday. Plenty of water, lots of portajons, and a great facility with a practice area so you could warm up prior to the festivities (I wish that was available at every match). Leaving everything else aside, the members of USPSA should be proud of the nationals this year and the people who produced this event. To those people I say: Thank You.