Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2015 USPSA LTD/Open Nationals lack of updates...... WTF?

CHA-LEE

I don't want to sound like a whiny punk, but where is all of the information about the 2015 USPSA LTD/Open Nationals? When I check the USPSA website there isn't squat listed other than the match dates and the dedicated "Nationals" website does not have much more information either. If you go to the Universal Shooting Academy website the USPSA Nationals isn't even listed in their "Major Matches" listing. You have to dig into their calendar to even find the event then its "Info" simply lists a link back to the useless "Nationals" website.

Why are the quantity of stages or total round count posted anywhere? The majority of shooters will be flying into this match so we need this information to know if we have to ship ammo in and if so how much. We are only three weeks away from the start of this match and there is still a significant amount of missing information about the match that the competitors need to know.

Its pretty crappy when the "Most important match of the year" seems to have less proactive organization or notification than a local club match. You would think that at a $270 or $295 entry fee that this thing would be setting the bar when it comes to how its run.

Edited by CHA-LEE

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I was thinking more that the stage planners cant finalize the stages if IPSC Nats stages were up. No?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uhhhhh ............. No.

Every other State, Section, Area or even Club matches can successfully compile the Stage Drawing, Written Stage Briefings, Round Counts, and whatever else long before the stages are physically built.

There is no good reason for delaying the release of the stage drawings, round count all of that stuff loooooong before the start of the actual match.

Edited by CHA-LEE

I'm on a squad with only three people in it. What do you think are the chances of them combining squads? I was unsuccessful at resquading. I concur on the lack of info. I've been to lots of big matches this year where little info was the case. Pretty pathetic.

Edited by The Blade

The thing that kills me about this is that the nationals match staff should be all over forums like this answering CUSTOMERS questions directly. As it is we have the blind leading the blind.

If Phil is suppose to be in charge of running the nationals as USPSA president, then he should be the one ensuring that this stuff is handled properly by either delegating the work to others or rolling up his sleeves and doing it himself.

I have run enough major matches to know that it takes a lot of effort to pull off an event successfully. I also learned a long time ago that the more proactive information that can be distributed LONG BEFORE the start of the match dramatically reduces the title wave of last minute questions from competitors. There is no reason why the Match Book, Schedule, Stages, and all other basic match information shouldn't be available online many months before the start of the match.

Edited by CHA-LEE

Charlie,

Are you happy with the stage designs? It feels more like IPSC than USPSA Nationals to me. I have seen you stages in Fl Open that are better than this in my opinion.

I usually don't put much stock in the drawings of the stages matching reality once they are physically setup. By only looking at the stage drawings, I really can't make a determination as to how challenging, equitable, or fun the stages will be.

Most of the negative comments I have heard or read so far were associated with the stand-n-shoot classifier style stages. Would I rather shoot a run & gun field course verses a stand-n-shoot classifier? Hell Yes. But the stand-n-blast classifier stages are usually a valid test of basic shooting and gun handling skills. With this being the nationals I think that testing basic shooting and gun handling skills is valid but it needs to be put in balance with testing other field course skills. When I look at the stages I see 5 stand-n-blast stages out of the 21 total stages. Should 25% of the stages be biased toward stand-n-blast? Probably not given the trend of stage design and types at other Level 2 & 3 matches around the country. We usually only see 5% - 10% of the stages being stand-n-blast style at most of the other major matches around the country.

In the end the nationals is really no different than any other match/product. The match staff's job is to produce a product that consumers WANT to buy and see value in the product they have purchased. If customers feel that the product they have purchases has not lived up to their expectations then they will usually invest their time and money elsewhere the next time the match comes around. This fact of economics applies to all level of matches from Club Match all the way up to the World Shoot. If I run a crappy club match then I can't expect much attendance or happy customers. The same applies to the nationals. Will the 2015 USPSA Nationals be a successful $2000+ product I have invested in? We will see once the match is over and the dust has settled. If I don't see a viable value verses my investment, then I won't be back next year as I can use that same amount of money to attend 2 - 3 other Area level matches.

The primary and reoccurring issue I see with the USPSA Nationals is that it is almost always littered with Novice club match type of match management mistakes.Too many Chiefs and too many Indians with no clear ownership of anything by anyone in charge. The "Team" of people they use in that scenario are really not a cohesive team but instead a random collection of volunteers that are jammed together with the hopes of them functioning as a team. The exception to this were the Handgun nationals I attended in St. George UT and that was because USPSA basically handed the keys to the kingdom to Ken Nelson to make it all happen. With one person in charge (Ken) everything got done and everyone knew where to go in order to get stuff done. All of the Las Vegas nationals I attended were a train wreck because of the Too many Chiefs and Too many Indians issue. We will have to wait and see if the Florida Nationals will end up like Vegas or Utah. As a CUSTOMER paying a significant amount of money to attend, I am hoping for an event run like the Utah nationals. If it ends up being run like the Vegas nationals, I probably won't be back in 2016.