Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Walk thru confusion

BillyMac

On 9/16/2016 at 11:19 AM, alucardus said:

Remember once your given the make ready command the stage is yours and you can take a final walk through before you load.

If we're talking USPSA...i don't think this is accurate... rule 8.3.1.1

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In production I always had a 'contingency plan' for certain stages. Its not that the original stage plan is bad, but things can go wrong. Lets say the last part of the stage is a texas star followed by two steps and 2 paper targets around a barricade. If I only have 0-2 make up shots on the texas star, I can move and finish the stage. If more, I need to reload in those two steps to finish the stage. Going into the star knowing that can save time as the reload is 'planned' if its needed. There are a lot of other situations where taking a make-up shot can change your stage plan in production/SS, knowing ahead of time what you will change if something happens allows you to save time and not make standing reloads. 

A lot of times you can make the memory work a lot easier by finding a memory trick or two in the stage layout. 

Was having a really tough time breaking down a memory stage, then a GM revolver shooter (revolver and ss are the guys who know how to remember a stage plan) told me - from the far left shoot the targets that are closest to the left side of the far walls - from the far right shoot the two closest to the right side. Made the stage easy to break down and then easy to visualize with your eyes closed.

So now I make the plan as normal, but try to look for and include anything I notice about the stage that makes things simpler/easier to remember. 

15 hours ago, uewpew said:

If we're talking USPSA...i don't think this is accurate... rule 8.3.1.1

As long as you haven't drawn or loaded your weapon yet it should be fine as long as the RO knows what you are doing. Don't just take off and start air gunning the course. If you have drawn and or loaded your weapon you definitely don't want to move from the start position until the beep.

That's what your 5 minutes is for. If the shooter isn't ready when it's his time to perform I skip them and move on. I've always been under the practice of giving a shooter up to 2 minutes once the make ready has been issued and I've also never had a shooter take more than a couple steps from the start position to do his final prep. We have to keep the match on schedule for everyone's sake

On 9/16/2016 at 0:19 PM, alucardus said:

Remember once your given the make ready command the stage is yours and you can take a final walk through before you load.

Bwahaha, uh, no!

1 hour ago, Jmob50 said:

That's what your 5 minutes is for. If the shooter isn't ready when it's his time to perform I skip them and move on. I've always been under the practice of giving a shooter up to 2 minutes once the make ready has been issued and I've also never had a shooter take more than a couple steps from the start position to do his final prep. We have to keep the match on schedule for everyone's sake

What rule book do you operate off of? Two steps is a no go.

a typical stage should run a shooter every 1.5-2.0 minutes. Giving a guy 2 minutes to make ready is nuts

Sarge, I don't know what your issue is with me and frankly don't give a damn but these are the same guidelines we use at Level III's. The average beep to beep average is close to 3 min. at every major I've worked. Every now and then you have shooters that have a longer prep time than others, that's why it's an average. Feel like I have to speak slow around you for you to get it. 

1 hour ago, Jmob50 said:

Sarge, I don't know what your issue is with me and frankly don't give a damn but these are the same guidelines we use at Level III's. The average beep to beep average is close to 3 min. at every major I've worked. Every now and then you have shooters that have a longer prep time than others, that's why it's an average. Feel like I have to speak slow around you for you to get it. 

Speaking slow doesn't make something make more sense.

Please remember the guidelines on attitude.

Attitude
Please be polite. Or if not polite, at least respectful.
No bickering. Regardless of the subject matter.
Antagonistic, offensive, or quarrelsome tones are not acceptable.

3 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Sometimes I type slow because I know you guys can't read very fast. 

Yeah took me about a minute to read your post! :)

But I still don't get it. Bwahaha 

17 minutes ago, varminter22 said:

AND 

8.7.1: 

8.7.1  A competitor is permitted to take a sight picture prior to the start signal. Such sight picture is only permitted no more than one step from the "Make Ready" location.

Most of us in the know, know that's the rule. It's a shame some don't.

That rule is speaking to a sight picture, correct? A sight picture is still when we hold a weapon in our hand right? I guess I need to reread the question and see where these guys are walking around with a weapon in their hand between the make ready and beep. Damn, reading really is tough here. Here's your bag, now eat some lol

See if you can understand this:

8.3.1 “Make Ready” – This command signifies the start of “the Course of Fire”. Under the direct supervision of the Range Officer the competitor must face down range, or in a safe direction as specified by the Range Officer, fit eye and hearing protection, and prepare the handgun in accor- dance with the written stage briefing. The competitor must then assume the specified start position. The Range Officer will not proceed with any further range commands until the competitor is still and is in the correct start position.

8.3.1.1 Once the “Make Ready” command has been given, the competitor must not move away from the start location prior to issuance of the “Start Signal” without the prior approval, and under the direct supervision, of the Range Officer. 

8.3.1.1 pertains to something along the lines of ,"I need to go get my mags" etc, unless, like I said, the RO is an idiot.

I've shot numerous matches over the years that Sarge has RO'd & I think I speak for many people that Sarge may be the most knowledgeable CRO & fairest official running a stage, & has contributed more than almost anyone in this sport to the benefit of all. I'm sure Troy McManus would love to have a private "discussion" with you & fill you in to how the rules are correctly applied.

I know Troy personally and what I discussed here came straight from his mouth as an MD at an Area match. Read my posts and cite our errors to what rule I quoted

Edited by Jmob50
Misquoted title as RM not MD