Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 17, 34 & 35 Most Reliable Recoil Spring Weight

Orbit

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I have an issue that is not mentioned here but pertains to the best recoil spring for the G34.

I have an MOS G34 with a Vortex Venom red dot mounted. My issue is that the casings are flying back after ejecting and striking the optic(see photo), using the factory 17lb recoil spring(Gen4). A shooting friend told me to try a lighter spring with 13 or 15lb. I got both and tried the 13lb first(Gen 3 w/adapter) but had the same issue. I was able to get a gunsmith to observe this occurrence. He recommended going in the other direction......with a 19 or 20lb spring to receive a slower recoil thus allowing the casing more time to possibly exit at a 3 o'clock position instead of a 5 or 5:30. Thoughts?

Also, while on the subject, flat spring or round for competition? I compete and practice a lot.

Thank you

IMG_1981.JPG

On 1/23/2018 at 11:40 AM, John6619 said:

I have an MOS G34 with a Vortex Venom red dot mounted. My issue is that the casings are flying back after ejecting and striking the optic(see photo), using the factory 17lb recoil spring(Gen4). A shooting friend told me to try a lighter spring with 13 or 15lb. I got both and tried the 13lb first(Gen 3 w/adapter) but had the same issue. I was able to get a gunsmith to observe this occurrence. He recommended going in the other direction......with a 19 or 20lb spring to receive a slower recoil thus allowing the casing more time to possibly exit at a 3 o'clock position instead of a 5 or 5:30. Thoughts?

I definitely wouldn't go heavier.  It looks like you replaced some extractor parts (rod?  spring?).  How about the extractor itself?  That and the spring are the first things I'd check for ejection problems.

I'd stick with 13# springs for sure.  What load are you running?