Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 17, 34 & 35 Most Reliable Recoil Spring Weight

Orbit

Friends,

I am shooting both a factory load and reload for shooting IPSC.

In your experience, what is the best recoil spring weight for the following pistols:

1. Glock 17 Gen 4 - I will shoot reload most of the time 130 pf

2. Glock 34 & 35 Gen 4 - I will shoot reload most of the time 165 pf.

Right now, I am set-up in the following:

1. Glock 17 - Glock standard recoil spring (I dont know the spring weight)

2. Glock 34 - 13 lbs lone wolf recoil spring with stainless guide rod and reducer ring

3. Glock 35 - RYG Tungsten Guide rod (I dont know the spring weight)

Please let me know your thought and suggestions.

For anything approaching major PF I use a 15 lb. spring, any more than this and my guns will dip as the slide closes. A 13 lb. spring for Production or anything around 130 PF. Anything lighter and the gun may not go back into battery after a few thousand rounds on the spring and a dirty gun. This is what I have found, your experience may be different.

Only thing I have to add is that my 17 did not like a 13 with the factory striker spring but it ran fine in my 34 with the factory striker spring. I am using ISMI flat 13 springs on the Jager rod for Gen4 guns.

Edited by Foxj66

17 - OEM 17lb Gen4 dual spring setup.

34 - 13lb ISMI on a LW stainless rod. The OEM spring works fine for me as well.

Both guns are used in Production and 3Gun.

It is basically what I used this morning.

This morning I went to our local range and tried my 3 glocks (17, 34 & 35)

*Glock 17 - 17 lbs OEM -- zeroed in 10 yards with dawson precision fixed charger sight set

*Glock 34 - 13 lbs Lone wolf stainless steel guide rod, after 15 rounds I stopped due to adjustable rear sight screw, I thought it was missing but it was actually a design if I am right (please see the pic below and give comments)

*Glock 35 - RYG Recoil tungsten guide rod set - zeroed in 10 yards using the lone wolf barrel but using the OEM Glock Barrel, the shot is all over the place (max diameter is 8")

post-55519-0-59198000-1441830716_thumb.j

*Glock 34 - 13 lbs Lone wolf stainless steel guide rod, after 15 rounds I stopped due to adjustable rear sight screw, I thought it was missing but it was actually a design if I am right (please see the pic below and give comments)

On my Glock 17 the sight adjustment is done on the right side of the sight as you hold the gun in your hand.

Thanks to all of you. I settled in the following:

For Glock 17 - use the original recoil spring

For Glock 34 - use the RYG stainless steel Tungsten guide rod

For Glock 35 - use the 13 lbs spring in a stainless wolf guide rod

It ran flawlessly.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I run PF around 132ish in both a G4 17 and G4 34. I only use the OEM in the 17 because I only use it for GSSF. No problems, ever. With my 34 I shoot it in USPSA and I use a 13lb spring. Seems to help it run it a little flatter....

Edited by nwhpfan

• 2 weeks later...

I normally use a 13lb. in my 34. I'm shooting a GSSF match in a few weeks so decided to practice with some stock Glocks. 17 Gen 4 and 17L Gen 3 with stock 17lb. recoil springs had really weak ejection with my reloads, 147gr @ 133pf. Brass was just dribbling out going maybe 1-2 feet, but no malfunctions.