Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dropped gun call

molson

• 2 years later...

To me trap does not equal retrieve, and I would not DQ. I would say trapping is stopping the gun from falling, retrieving is reversing the fall. Kind of range lawyery I guess, I would not say that someone standing with something pinned to their leg was engaged in the act of retrieving it.

Definition of retrieve

retrieved; retrieving
transitive verb
1 : to locate and bring in (killed or wounded game)
2 : to call to mind again
3 : to get back again : regain
4 a : rescue, salvage
b : to return (something, such as a ball or shuttlecock that is difficult to reach) successfully
5 : restore, revive
  • his writing retrieves the past
6 : to remedy the evil consequences of : correct
7 : to get and bring back; especially : to recover from storage
  • retrieve information

On 1/7/2018 at 9:30 PM, bofe954 said:

To me trap does not equal retrieve, and I would not DQ. I would say trapping is stopping the gun from falling, retrieving is reversing the fall. Kind of range lawyery I guess, I would not say that someone standing with something pinned to their leg was engaged in the act of retrieving it.

Definition of retrieve

retrieved; retrieving
transitive verb
1 : to locate and bring in (killed or wounded game)
2 : to call to mind again
3 : to get back again : regain
4 a : rescue, salvage
b : to return (something, such as a ball or shuttlecock that is difficult to reach) successfully
5 : restore, revive
  • his writing retrieves the past
6 : to remedy the evil consequences of : correct
7 : to get and bring back; especially : to recover from storage
  • retrieve information

Handling is the crime. Not retrieving.

The trapping issue isnt whether or not its dropped, or retrieved. The issue is the act of trapping itself is unsafe gun handling. I mean so is having crappy holsters, but once its out, safest thing to do is let it fall.
DQ under 10.5,,  dont need a specific as the rest of 10.5 isnt all inclusive. ( something that seems to constantly get over looked) 
A  gun that passes safety tests wont go off if dropped , even if it is loaded. 
The grabbing at and trying to catch the falling gun is in itself unsafe gun handling,  as THAT is potentially what makes the gun go off by inadvertently mashing the trigger when u try to snatch it out of the air or pin it.
Yeh might scuff ur finish but way safer to just let it fall. IMO that was the intent of adding the trapped language. Trapping or grabbing a falling gun is unsafe.

34 minutes ago, OPENB said:

Let's not forget we recently lost at least one shooter that tried to catch a falling gun & got his finger in the guard & shot himself. Just not worth dying over. 

Yep, just call it unsafe gun handling, or if the trigger is exposed and ur touching it, handling gun outside safe area away from DQ.
Personally If I was writing rule book, dropping or having a gun come out of your holster is unsafe gun handling and would be a DQ regardless of circumstances. Get a decent holster. No excuse for dropped gun

On 9/9/2015 at 1:14 PM, Ultimo-Hombre said:

I am not gonna just let my pistol eat gravel/smash cmore, nick barrel crown, when I can attempt to trap it, knowing it is unloaded. If you want to DQ me for that then so be it. We could debate which is "safer" all day long,, letting an unloaded gun hit the deck or get trapped against my thigh.

I would argue that "trapping" your pistol as it falls is a reflexive and reasonable action.

I'm not gonna DQ you for it, you DQ me.... Oh well.

I'm with you!

You won't get DQ'd on my stage

16 hours ago, mike4045 said:

If you trap the gun against your leg would it be sweeping yourself with the muzzle? Unloading or not shouldn't matter, right? Still a do. 

Depends on where the muzzle is...most likely - no...because you are trapping the side of the gun to your leg, not lengthwise where the muzzle is pointing at your leg...