Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40S&W 200r with Titegroup

Tmcfarland

Just getting a M&P 40 pro to use in limited. I do my own loading and up to this point have not loaded any 40cal so i am looking for a little help from some proven reloads.

First bullet weight. I see a bunch of back and forth between the 180r and the 200r. Coming from 9mm I prefer the heavy 147 over all others. So, is the recoil effect from the heavier bullets the same in 40 as it is in 9mm? I am guessing that it is and I would like to try the 200gr FP Bayou bullet out but hate to buy things that don't work.

Update...I have purchased the 200r so I will build a load on that, but the question still remains.

Second is powder, currently I have a few selections but really like the way titegroup burns in my 9mm and see there are a lot of people that use it in their 40's as well. so, looking for a proven load to make around 170PF. I am going to start about 4.5gr and chrono that to see what i get.

Third is OAL, I like to run my reloads as long as is permitted by the gun. Any lengths that the M&P 40Pro doesn't like? I am thinking of starting at 1.150 and move out from there. I see several using 1.170 but not sure what the M&P 40 magazine will handle as I haven't received the gun from the FFL.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Edited by Tmcfarland

Third is OAL, I like to run my reloads as long as is permitted by the gun. Any lengths that the M&P 40Pro doesn't like?

OAL depends on the bullet, not the gun.

You'll need to figure it out for each different bullet.

First bullet weight. I see a bunch of back and forth between the 180r and the 200r. Coming from 9mm I prefer the heavy 147 over all others. So, is the recoil effect from the heavier bullets the same in 40 as it is in 9mm? I am guessing that it is and I would like to try the 200gr FP Bayou bullet out but hate to buy things that don't work.

Update...I have purchased the 200r so I will build a load on that, but the question still remains.

The only answer is what feels good to you. Load long.

Second is powder, currently I have a few selections but really like the way titegroup burns in my 9mm and see there are a lot of people that use it in their 40's as well. so, looking for a proven load to make around 170PF. I am going to start about 4.5gr and chorine that to see what i get.

I don't care for TiteGroup, but it will work. .40s can get spooky with fast powders, A 170 PF should be easy to achieve (~3.7gn).

Third is OAL, I like to run my reloads as long as is permitted by the gun. Any lengths that the M&P 40Pro doesn't like? I am thinking of starting at 1.150 and move out from there. I see several using 1.170 but not sure what the M&P 40 magazine will handle as I haven't received the gun from the FFL.

Some one may know, but I don't know if I have hit any gun with a particularly shorter magazine that restricts COL. I load 1.180-1.200", but I don't have that gun.

I always start by loading inert dummy rounds and determine the max COL that fits and feeds and chambers before I ever start any loading, and I don't think I have ever started short and worked up.

Third is OAL, I like to run my reloads as long as is permitted by the gun. Any lengths that the M&P 40Pro doesn't like?

So I mentioned I had purchased the 200gr weight in the RN configuration. I understand the bullet would have some limits but I would think the chamber would come first??

Thanks

So I mentioned I had purchased the 200gr weight in the RN configuration. I understand the bullet would have some limits but I would think the chamber would come first??

Thanks

Maybe, maybe not. The magazine in an M&P is much shorter than a 2011 mag. Also, chamber length will vary. Mine is pretty long (M&P Pro 40 5" from about 3 years ago?) and I have never hit the rifling on anything that fit in a magazine.

Also, not all round profile bullets are the same. 9mm especially shows a big difference between round nose bullets, some pointier than others.

To actually answer your question... I have loaded both truncated cone and round nose bullets up to 1.160" in my gun. I've loaded Titegroup, WST, Unique, Universal, Longshot, and even Trailboss. They all go bang and work the action, some just go bang a little faster!

Thanks

Bullets can vary slightly in shape from one manufacturer to another.

I have three different manufacture 180 RNFP's and all three will load to a different max OAL in the same chamber. That difference may or may not be significant, as sometimes the magazine is the limiting factor.

I've seen some pretty significant differences in different manufacturers 230 RN in .45.

The first thing I do when I try a new manufacturers bullet is to take measurements to determine the max OAL, and I do it for each of my pistols. I keep a list of the bullets I have and the max OAL for each one. in each of my pistols.

1. Measure from the breech face to the muzzle end of the barrel with the pistol in battery.

2, Then remove the barrel and drop a bullet in the chamber.

3. Measure from the tip of the bullet to the muzzle end of the barrel and subtract that measurement from the measurement in step 1.

That will be your absolute max OAL to where the bullet is touching something. I usually subtract about another .010"-.015" as a starting point, if it fits in the magazine.

Thanks

Bullets can vary slightly in shape from one manufacturer to another.

I have three different manufacture 180 RNFP's and all three will load to a different max OAL in the same chamber. That difference may or may not be significant, as sometimes the magazine is the limiting factor.

I've seen some pretty significant differences in different manufacturers 230 RN in .45.

The first thing I do when I try a new manufacturers bullet is to take measurements to determine the max OAL, and I do it for each of my pistols. I keep a list of the bullets I have and the max OAL for each one. in each of my pistols.

1. Measure from the breech face to the muzzle end of the barrel with the pistol in battery.

2, Then remove the barrel and drop a bullet in the chamber.

3. Measure from the tip of the bullet to the muzzle end of the barrel and subtract that measurement from the measurement in step 1.

That will be your absolute max OAL to where the bullet is touching something. I usually subtract about another .010"-.015" as a starting point, if it fits in the magazine.

Would it not be easier to measure from the rear of the hood on the barrel to the rear of the bullet, then add the length of the bullet? If there is a concern that the lockup does not allow the hood to touch the breach face, then a feeler gauge could be used between breach and hood.

Same result.

From what I understand though, not all barrels will allow that. I've not seen one, but have been told some CZ's have a recessed breech face, so measuring from the barrel hood would not work out.

Same result.

From what I understand though, not all barrels will allow that. I've not seen one, but have been told some CZ's have a recessed breech face, so measuring from the barrel hood would not work out.

A recessed breach face that the barrel hood didn't touch? That is unique. Nearly all modern semi autos have a flat breach face that contacts (or very nearly contacts) the hood. I will have to look more closely at all the pistols at work now!

Heavy vs Light bullet I still do not have a handle on. Assume paper or non reactive steel, do you go heavy and slow or light and fast for less recoil and acceptable accuracy? Seems like there are two schools of thought.

Update...

Loaded up 10 ea 200gr RN at 1.180" started at 3.7, then 3.8, 3.9, 4.0. The loads averaged out at 167PF, 171PF, 174PF, and 177PF. All fed perfect and shot good. Light recoil felt on all loads compared to some federal factory which came in at 175PF. I did find out that 1.184" is too long to cycle out of the ejection port so I will drop down to 1.175" and start over to make sure I don't get a long one in there and jam the gun. Will start loads at 3.6 and work up to 3.8. I will update after I shoot them

Thanks

Edited by Tmcfarland

4.2 grs WST

200 gr Bayou

any SPP

col 1.180

PF avg 172

never gone minor from 28 to 95 degrees

yes if you bake it in your car and leave it in the sun at the range on top of a garbage can to refry it it will get real close BUT they never do that at matches

Get your COL, start lower and work up to 172 and shoot the load

Its consistent and accurate out off about 15 different 1911/2011 I know of

shoot the same load all the time and practice LOL

• 2 months later...

With my STI Executive I started with 180gr and switched to 200gr bullets. There is a noticeable difference in muzzle rise but I also noticed that the slide got slower. I was using Titegroup with 180gr and 200gr pills then switched to CFE-P with 200gr and it is a bit smoother. Feels similar to my Para 1911 45. Just feels like the slide is a bit slower.

Did anyone see a variation in accuracy past 40 yards with .40 OAL 1.13 200gr Bayou at 3.7gr of Titegroup?
In my G35 its crazy good at 25 yards but as I went back a bit at a time I saw some variation just past 35 yards. My warren rear window is wide so that may be some of me for sure, but I went from A zone- 3" out to 20, 5" at 25, then flyers after that up and down the left hand side of the target. Me or is the gear not pushing?

• 1 month later...