Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting too fast

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 6:48 PM, fordwes06 said:

Can I acquire speed on shooting through motor learning or muscle memory? 

I am not the fastest guy at all but definitely faster than I once was.  I'll say yes.  We all have to work out how to train ourselves in a way we will stick to and that gets results.  There are great resources out there to help us.  One thing that helps me do better is to dry fire every day, even if it's just 15 to 20 minutes.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, GunBugBit said:

I am not the fastest guy at all but definitely faster than I once was.  I'll say yes.  We all have to work out how to train ourselves in a way we will stick to and that gets results.  There are great resources out there to help us.  One thing that helps me do better is to dry fire every day, even if it's just 15 to 20 minutes.

I see, thanks for your insight. I can't afford to dry fire every day but I'll make sure that I would fill the gap in skill by being consistent on practicing firing. 

On ‎9‎/‎22‎/‎2015 at 7:42 PM, Nimitz said:

I've actually adopted this technqiue as I am retooling my open surrender draw for Steel Challenge since that is the one thing holding me back in the Open SC division. I need to develop perfect technique if I ever hope to approach a 1 sec draw so that's the first order of business ....

And this from a GM in steel challenge.  It's not always the shooting that's slowing us down,  it's everything else.

yep,  the 'shooting' portion is usually never the issue.  Unless you're a long-range bulleye rifle guy you're most likely pulling the trigger fast enough;  you need to learn to do everything else faster since all those other things constitute time when you're not scoring points.  It's all this dead time where most shooters lose time on a stage.  If you're a USPSA shooter & have the opportunity to take a class from Ben Stoeger you'll discover this in spades ....

11 hours ago, fordwes06 said:

I can't afford to dry fire every day

Sure you can. Anyone can that has access to their gun. You just aren't willing to do what is necessary to make that happen.

Discipline is 1000 times more valuable than motivation.

11 hours ago, fordwes06 said:

I know what it means. It's just that my wife won't let me. I've tried doing it before but she keeps on making a fuss that I should not "play" with firearms. 

Unless you can afford to go to the range every day you likely wont get where you want to be.  Ask your wife if you can have an ammo budget and time to go to the range every day, that might open up the dry fire conversation.  Perhaps you can setup your dry fire in the garage or something so its out of sight out of mind.  Not hiding it from her, but showing her how you maintain a safe, unloaded firearm in your designated dry fire space.  

12 hours ago, fordwes06 said:

It's just that my wife won't let me. I've tried doing it before but she keeps on making a fuss that I should not "play" with firearms. 

Time to trade her in for a new model? I'm kidding....mostly...

If Hell froze over and I somehow found myself in that situation, my first solution would be to dryfire while she's sleeping or not home. While there are some people who have gotten pretty good with no dryfire, it is exceedingly rare and requires an ammo budget and range time that I would drool over. You're either going to have to educate her or do it behind her back. Wouldn't recommend that 2nd option, but desperate times call for desperate measures.

13 hours ago, fordwes06 said:

I know what it means. It's just that my wife won't let me. I've tried doing it before but she keeps on making a fuss that I should not "play" with firearms. 

*facepalm*

You might explain to her that it's training, not 'playing', and it is valuable for safety and self-defense as well as very economical. Or you might just tell here to 'shut the f*** up, honey'. That worked pretty well for my wife before she got into competitive shooting.

Edited by motosapiens

17 hours ago, fordwes06 said:

You only need 10-15 minutes a day.  It's a good way to work on manipulation skills, movement, sight tracking, etc.  Do it for a month.  I guarantee your shooting will improve.

LOL. The last time she saw me with a firearm, she told me I'm setting a bad example for our child. I think she's expecting me to protect them with the freakin' nerf gun. Anyway, cousin's house is 20 mins drive away from our house. We could arrange something more than a dry fire. Thanks for the awesome replies guys. 

19 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

I guess you'll be voting for The Donald again in three years ....    :rolleyes:

I didn't vote for him this time, but I would have if my state had been close. 

fwiw, my wife would say the same thing to me if I tried to bully her about something like that. One of the things I like about her.

Did any of you catch the free podcast week a few weeks ago? Mr Norris and Mr Anderson had some very interesting things to say about this very subject...

In fact, Mr Anderson (no, not the one from the Matrix!) has a saying: "rush, try, hurry, fail" (match context)

Well worth whatever it costs for the unlimited access.

Started a 30 day Challenge to dryfire on Christmas  after taking November off for hunting season and to give shooting a break. Now the wife will ask me, you dry fired tonight, go do that. Good woman. 

Or maybe she wants me to go to the basement to leave her alone!

On 8/1/2015 at 9:36 PM, StraightSh00ter said:

Long story as usual so here's the question: how do you go fast without rushing, or what do you do to stay calm and keep yourself from tensing up?

I was about to ask the same thing! I rush anything and the accuracy is gone! Frustrating. :)

On 1/17/2018 at 10:45 PM, fordwes06 said:

My girlfriend was leery of firearms as well, then I got her into a couple of training courses and now she is no longer afraid of guns. The only thing she was not keen about the time but now she knows I have 36 minutes of "gunfu" in the morning, 24 minutes at noon and 42 minutes in the evening. I also got her into rock climbing a few times a week which gives me more free time as well while she is working out.

• 4 weeks later...