Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What compares to the Speed Six?

pete579

I got my hands on a Speed Six a few weeks ago and fell in love only to learn Ruger stopped producing them years ago. Is there a current production equivalent or am I joining the cult searching the world over for a good one that's not gonna cost me an arm and leg? I've already bought a GP100 and while it's a nice gun, it's no Speed Six.

The lock work is similar to your gun, they're just timed up and fit a little better than the typical modern Ruger.

If you have a weird hump in the middle of your trigger pull, you should have a new hammer dog fit to your gun. (That's a double action sear in S&W speak)

Rugers respond to smoothing up the trigger just as well as S&Ws do in my experience. But their coil springs don't respond to lightening as well as the S&W flat spring does.

Edited by PatJones

I don't notice a hump in the middle of trigger pull but it does seem to plateau just before it breaks. I'm not convinced wear will improve that and have wondered about having a gunsmith see what he could do with it. The trigger pull is a little heavier but acceptable so I wouldn't want to mess with the springs, but if it felt like it was lightened a little with some polishing of parts, I certainly wouldn't complain.

I went to a gun show yesterday and ran across a German made snub. I'd never heard of it (EAA Windicator) but given the price tag on it, I grabbed it. I'll be going to the range today to see what it can do since it passed all the safety/function checks when I got it home last night.

Security Six, speed Six Police are variances discussed at wilepedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruger_Security-Six I have the Police Security version the frames are different than the GP 100. The secruity is between the small and medium S&W frames so no real speed loaders for that model. But they are hell for stout.

Well that little Windicator, aside from the ridges on the trigger face (my dremel will fix that), is a nice simple little no frills shooter. The felt recoil between it (2.5" barrel) and the GP100 (4" barrel) was negligible. My wife liked it so much she not only stole it from me but then asked me to teacher her how to reload 38's when we got home, lol. She was really good with it too. 5" group on a 6" target at 10 yards after test firing it at 5 yards. I only managed to hit the same target at 10 yards once, and it was low (at least I'm a better shot at long range...for now anyway, lol).

It's no Speed Six either but it's apparently a keeper. I think what I like about the Speed Six is the double action trigger is a little lighter and smoother. It doesn't seem to plateau/stage before it breaks, so it's a much more crisp break, and the hammer is a little closer so it's easier to get a hold of without coming off target as much.

Security Six, speed Six Police are variances discussed at wilepedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruger_Security-Six I have the Police Security version the frames are different than the GP 100. The secruity is between the small and medium S&W frames so no real speed loaders for that model. But they are hell for stout.

Huh? Safariland makes a comp 2 for those.

Well this was a most useful post since I was just about to ask the "can I get a Ruger as smooth as a Smith". All the hoopla about the match champion

Sounds like the answer is no (well not as light, anyway)

I've always been convinced the coil main spring on the Rugers have doomed them. No matter what, they're going to stack, unlike a leaf which can maintain the same stored energy through its entire travel.

• 2 months later...

I had a GP-100 for years and never liked the trigger. Bought a Speed Six snubbie off Gunbroker and love it. Got me into a jag of collecting (accumulating) them when they come up at a reasonable price. The ones that have a few dings can be had for less then the cost of a new GP100.

• 3 weeks later...

Yep, one of these if you can find em:

A 3" S&W K-frame, fixed sights. One of the handiest weapons ever. This ones an M-64 .38'Special.

image_zpspv2vpk9z.jpg

Honestly, I'm not a Ruger basher. My first CF handgun was an OM Blackhawk .357. Still have it & love it. #3 rifle, M77, tons of SBHs have come & gone.

Try as I may to love Ruger DA revolvers, they're doomed to stack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by FWSixgunner