Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
FlightMurse

Dot torture distance?

I've started finishing up my practices with Stoeger's The Dots.

Last Sunday I had 2 misses and one overtime at 5 yards.

I like this drill and 25 yard Bill Drills.

Both great for timing and trigger control especially after slapping the shit out of it for short range speed drills.

Thanks for the replies. For those who start at low ready, do you still use a timer?

Yes. I'd personally drop .5 secs from the par for a low ready.

7 yards is the most I can do clean 4 out of the times if I really take my time if I put myself under a timer maybe 5 

Edited by joerenew

On ‎7‎/‎25‎/‎2015 at 7:12 PM, FlightMurse said:

I am working on addressing my lack of accuracy and started working on the dot drill today. Talk about a humbling experience... I went 36 at 3 yards! I am going to take a break from shooting at steel and focus on this drill and other accuracy drills for a while.

I was wondering, how far can you cleanly shoot this drill?

Can you tell me what this drill is Ive never heard of this...

On 10/25/2017 at 8:22 PM, Tonka said:

Can you tell me what this drill is Ive never heard of this...

It’s posted on page one. Link to Ben Stoegers site.

A sheet of notebook paper with 6 2” circles on it. Starting out, do it at 5 or even 3 yards. Fixed 5 second par time.

At the beep, draw and fire six shots without any missing the dot. In Ben’s class our first target was a warmup:

dot 1 for sighting in and getting the feel. 

Dot 2: two shots in 5 seconds. Learn not to rush shot 2 and take all of that time to get 2 clean hits.

Dot 3: A slight challenge, 3 shots in 5 seconds on a tiny target from the holster.

Dots 5 and 6: obviously, the corresponding # of rounds in 5 seconds.

When you master that, shoot the full 36 (each circle gets 6 shots in 5 seconds from the holster) and when you can clean it? Back out a yard and repeat until GM.

This drill makes any deficiencies in grip (the sights aren’t aligned or don’t return there) and trigger control (they don’t stay there) glaringly obvious.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

11 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

It’s posted on page one. Link to Ben Stoegers site.

A sheet of notebook paper with 6 2” circles on it. Starting out, do it at 5 or even 3 yards. Fixed 5 second par time.

At the beep, draw and fire six shots without any missing the dot. In Ben’s class our first target was a warmup:

dot 1 for sighting in and getting the feel. 

Dot 2: two shots in 5 seconds. Learn not to rush shot 2 and take all of that time to get 2 clean hits.

Dot 3: A slight challenge, 3 shots in 5 seconds on a tiny target from the holster.

Dots 5 and 6: obviously, the corresponding # of rounds in 5 seconds.

When you master that, shoot the full 36 (each circle gets 6 shots in 5 seconds from the holster) and when you can clean it? Back out a yard and repeat until GM.

This drill makes any deficiencies in grip (the sights aren’t aligned or don’t return there) and trigger control (they don’t stay there) glaringly obvious.

Just reading the drill descriptions makes me sweat. I'm gonna try to print out a handful of these at work and give it a run over the weekend... 

I'm in the process of switching platforms but hopefully this will keep my sharp over the winter.

At one time I had the dot torture sheet tacked to my dresser and I would dry fire the drill every night, for a month. Quick way to get some comprehensive dry fire in.

1 hour ago, rowdyb said:

I had the dot torture sheet tacked to my dresser and I would dry fire the drill every night

Sounds a lot like foreplay    :rolleyes:

I do something very similar but with a precision rifle. Usually use 1/2” dots at 100 yards. Or if I’m limited to 100 yards I’ll use 1” dots and shoot unsupported positional stuff.