Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Top Shelf 1911s vs Glock based Pistols

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started shooting a couple of months ago. I was hooked on CZ until a friend took me to the range with a pair of 1911s. That night I went online and realized I was about to decide to 'throw away' a lot of money for the simple reason of wanting to shoot a 1911, and the cost of my first gun purchase doubled instantaneously.

I am thinking about a gun for Limited. If I was OK with shooting Minor PF I'd go with a CZ 75SA for $550. Otherwise I'm looking at 2011s in the $2.5-3k price range. I guess I can relate to the OP - it's either 'top shelf' 1911/2011 or something else. I seem to be reluctant to spring for a Para or Rock Island high-cap for $8-900.

I appreciate and respect the OPs decision to be smarter with hobby spending. That is harder to do than it should be.

• 1 month later...

Trace,

If you think time is tight and money thin now...just wait until those kids get into Little League/Music Lessons/Gymnastics/Cheerleading/Swimming/Pee Wee Football/Age Group Soccer/Motocross/High School Rodeo and all the other things that will run the tires right off your SUV.

Then, they go to college and you see less of them...and you would write the checks you cussed all over again for another summer of being worn-out, frazzled and needing to be in 4 different places at the same time:)

I have no doubt you will kick ass with that piece of plastic...until you get back to the point of having more money, more time, and a very firm understanding that it is all about the moments, hours, and life experiences you provided to the next generation.

Hang on and enjoy the ride, buddy, it is about to get awesome:)

Thanks!! :D

Very well said and so true !

• 4 weeks later...

I am glad I picked up Firearm in general before having major life events.

27 years old,No house/car payments, No kids, No wife, one puppy, and one month of absence of leave with too much time on my hands. Pretty sure I spent around $2000 in my month off on firearm stuff.

Glad I picked up a new S&W 5" Core for range/comp gun and a used gen 3 Glock 19 for EDC when I get my carry permit.

I have had to stop myself 3-4 times from clicking the "submit payment" on a STI/CZ.

Trace,

I started the opposite of you. I learned to shoot and carry the Glock. I started with the 19, and the 17, and then the 35. I then found the 2011's(5 to be exact). I compete in USPSA with them and love them. However, Glocks are my babies, I will shoot IDPA with my 19. That gun plain runs. It is a clone of my work gun. The difference I have found between them an 2011s is they are not temperamental in the least bit. They will run dirty all day. And after easily over 10,000 I am just now seeing wear in the barrel, But it has another 5,000 in it. You don't have to be a gunsmith to fix them. Parts are cheap and easy to find.

It is hard to find a gun that can control as easily as a Glock. The other thing is the best shooters in my profession shoot Glocks. The best cheap gun on the market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Rangerdug

• 4 months later...

I feel your pain....I have 4 sons and want to build an open gun. I am looking at doing a Glock project, because it will be at least 1k less than I can do any other platform. I shoot a CZ in production, and a Tanfoglio in limited, neither of which are the high $ models, but I have a lot of fun and improve every match.

Trace I hear ya. I saved up for an STI as I've wanted one for as long as I've been shooting. Finally had the money after buying the house, the finance having cancer, getting her car totaled during pregnancy, etc. However, didn't buy it just sat and waited a little while. Turns out Wife's job screws up kid's insurance, so he's uninsured while being treated (normal stuff and colds). Open the STI envelope, pull out a chunk, pay it off. Put the rest in the kid's 529 account.

Slowly saving back up, and actually just ordered him and I custom AR lowers. ($106 for both!) Taking some extra shifts and eating PBJ for a while, but once he's old enough we'll go plink with a 22 we built together in the garage.

I've shot 1 match in the last 18 months, but I was home when he laughed for the first time, I'm home every night for dinner, and that's worth more than any shiny gun could ever be. I'll probably sell more of my competition stuff as I go a year or 2 without using it, but I could just as easily and happily shoot a few rounds out of my old Walther p99 IDPA gun (first pistol, bought it after watching too much Bond but I do like it) and have as good of a time at the range.

I'll get custom guns. I'll build some new ones, trade some old ones, but I'm really enjoying the financial security and free time spend with him on the floor while he tries to roll right now.

Trace I hear ya. I saved up for an STI as I've wanted one for as long as I've been shooting. Finally had the money after buying the house, the finance having cancer, getting her car totaled during pregnancy, etc. However, didn't buy it just sat and waited a little while. Turns out Wife's job screws up kid's insurance, so he's uninsured while being treated (normal stuff and colds). Open the STI envelope, pull out a chunk, pay it off. Put the rest in the kid's 529 account.

Slowly saving back up, and actually just ordered him and I custom AR lowers. ($106 for both!) Taking some extra shifts and eating PBJ for a while, but once he's old enough we'll go plink with a 22 we built together in the garage.

I've shot 1 match in the last 18 months, but I was home when he laughed for the first time, I'm home every night for dinner, and that's worth more than any shiny gun could ever be. I'll probably sell more of my competition stuff as I go a year or 2 without using it, but I could just as easily and happily shoot a few rounds out of my old Walther p99 IDPA gun (first pistol, bought it after watching too much Bond but I do like it) and have as good of a time at the range.

I'll get custom guns. I'll build some new ones, trade some old ones, but I'm really enjoying the financial security and free time spend with him on the floor while he tries to roll right now.

Thankfully this is a sport we can enjoy for a long time. I accept the fact, that I will never be a top GM. This sport has already done for me exactly what I wanted....it made me a very proficient pistol shooter which has greatly improved every aspect of my LE shooting. I will be back in circulation one of these days, at least at the club match level. When Jake turns 6, it will greatly increase my flexibility as far as monthly club matches go, because he'll be coming with me, even if just to watch or help tape targets....

• 3 weeks later...

It's funny, I just posted about this in another topic. Started competing right when I got married almost ten years ago. Started getting some success. Went from SS, to LIM10, to Open, and loved it. Had a nasty bought with lyme disease that tore me up. 5 years after that point I have three amazing children, have switched careers out of the gun industry and I want to shoot again. Looking to sell almost all of my original gear (I'll be working on that soon) to get into production to make it easier/cheaper to shoot. Feels a little full circle. I couldn't possibly agree more with the statement below.

God, family, career, USPSA, in that order, I waited 10 years collecting gear before I could even get started, you can take a Glock as far as you want. Dave shoots one!

It's funny, I just posted about this in another topic. Started competing right when I got married almost ten years ago.

That's when most guys hang up their guns (or sell em), lol.

I'm ramping up to shoot USPSA limited on the cheap, starting with a LEO trade in Glock 22. Already bought a mag well, sights & trigger next. Should be under $600 total

I love shooting revolver, but an S&W PC 8 shot + all the goodies & work would run probably $1,500. Then I've got a gun that's really only good for USPSA (which I could only shoot about 1x per month as my weekends are mostly spoken for), and that would probably only work with Federal-primed reloads, (not that reloading is a problem for me.)

Compromise.

It's funny, I just posted about this in another topic. Started competing right when I got married almost ten years ago.

That's when most guys hang up their guns (or sell em), lol.

I'm ramping up to shoot USPSA limited on the cheap, starting with a LEO trade in Glock 22. Already bought a mag well, sights & trigger next. Should be under $600 total

I love shooting revolver, but an S&W PC 8 shot + all the goodies & work would run probably $1,500. Then I've got a gun that's really only good for USPSA (which I could only shoot about 1x per month as my weekends are mostly spoken for), and that would probably only work with Federal-primed reloads, (not that reloading is a problem for me.)

Compromise.

I have a very loving and considerate wife. No doubt about it.

It's funny, I just posted about this in another topic. Started competing right when I got married almost ten years ago. Started getting some success. Went from SS, to LIM10, to Open, and loved it. Had a nasty bought with lyme disease that tore me up. 5 years after that point I have three amazing children, have switched careers out of the gun industry and I want to shoot again. Looking to sell almost all of my original gear (I'll be working on that soon) to get into production to make it easier/cheaper to shoot. Feels a little full circle. I couldn't possibly agree more with the statement below.

God, family, career, USPSA, in that order, I waited 10 years collecting gear before I could even get started, you can take a Glock as far as you want. Dave shoots one!

You live in Belleville? No way...I'm a few minutes away in Mascoutah. I've got several acres in the country with a nice range and such. What ya thinking about selling?

• 3 weeks later...

Good on you for being responsible! I'm also very impressed that you went from a 6-7k gun to a 1k gun, but I also assume that's out of necessity. A lot of the guys I know in this game can't make the switch to a "cheaper" gun once they've tasted high end. Good luck with your endeavors, though!

Buying and trading on the forums for yeas has allowed me to get into a pair of STI's for very little investment. Its taken a long time but watching for the right opportunity has really paid off. Started with a Beretta 92 and soon moved to a Glock 17. Brief run with a Para P16 them moved on to single stack after getting a deal on a Kimber them a Baer. Now shooting an Eagle 9mm for 3GUN and an Edge 40 for USPSA. If I was starting from scratch though I would start with a Glock 34/35 and run from there. Tough to beat the price and reliability.

Good on you for being responsible! I'm also very impressed that you went from a 6-7k gun to a 1k gun, but I also assume that's out of necessity. A lot of the guys I know in this game can't make the switch to a "cheaper" gun once they've tasted high end. Good luck with your endeavors, though!

I bought some really high end precision rifles when I was working in Iraq and Afg. I have had to sell them here and there for this and that and not being able to justify having $7000-$10,000 in a rifle/optic setup. Since then I really don't care for rifles much because I have had the best. The rest is just kinda meh. I think it would be like going from a high end hooker to the chick over in the trailer park. Luckily I have kept my handgun ambitions to a minimum. My biggest ambition at this point is a shadow 2. It used to be an Eagle but after getting one I decided that I preferred the single stack 1911 platform.

Good luck OP. All I can say is you will most likely sit and want for another Infinity. Kinda like the old people you hear these days that say they wish they still had this or that car.

A family can surely put a damper on shooting. I know the feeling. Went from shooting 3-4 majors a year to 0. My dream of getting an SV 5.4" sight tracker will be on hold for a long, long time. As soon as my youngest gets out of college, oh in about 13 years.

I have gotten my ass handed to me by guys with Glocks and $4000+ SV's, so its definitely the Indian and not the arrow