Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help with AR comp metering in a 550B

I've been wanting to try some AR Comp for 223 loads so I picked some up. Having a terrible time. Its spilling out on the down stroke. Doesn't matter how long I leave the ram up, as soon as the case comes out of the powder measure it starts pouring out and keeps pouring out! I can tap on the press and more comes out. Really very little is actually dropping in the case. I been loading 223 on this press for over 10 years but is always been powders like AA2520 and more recently CFE223. In fact I just finished a couple hundred rounds with 2520 tonight before switching over to the AR Comp. This is unmanageable!! I need some help!

Try slowing your downstroke speed a bit, so it takes at least one full second for the powder bar to go from one side of the measure to the other.

Edited by dillon

Ok! Follow up. I now seem to be able to use AR Comp. I took the powder unit apart and cleaned everything . It was filthy inside. Cleaned it all, greased the recommended areas and reassembled. I did some test runs and see exactly what our Dillon rep is talking about on the slow down stroke. If you go to fast you get a clunk. If you go slow its smooth. Meters pretty well. A little high and a little low, sometimes on. Thank you for the help! Lesson learned...