Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DocMedic

I had a pretty long month, beginning of August I shot RM3G, I ended up placing 4th in He-man Irons. I had a issue with my rifle ripping a rim on one of the cheaper 308 rounds I used for paper spraying and I had to leave 12 rifle targets on the stage.. Pity. Other then that the match went about as smooth as a RO shoot can go. After my match I got to RO the large shotgun stage for the next 3 days, and I got to learn some new tricks to add to the tool box. After the main the match I had two days of rest then I was overseas for the next 3 weeks for work, I just returned the sat before this past weekend. Yesterday was the first match I have been able to shoot since I've been back so I decided to shoot a local USPSA match in PCC division, unfortunately I caught a bit of a head cold coming from my overseas trip so I wasn't shooting at 100%.

We ended up shooting a 6 stage match (5 stage + Classifier) and now I'm helping out as match staff for the match as Registration so I didn't get to pre walk the stages after I help build a couple of stages in the morning so I was going into each stage blind, which was ok as I didn't have any problems shooting the match outside of one stage. I could tell you having a bit of fog in your brain does make things seem like your shooting slower but reality your just seeing everything because your vision narrows to your front sights. I wasn't moving at 100% but my stage planning and the fact I was shooting points helped me out get the PCC division win even though I didn't win two stages, we also had 8 PCC shooters for the match which is great! For the match there wasn't a lot of opportunity to shoot on the move, lots of hard leans and stand and shoot situations. One stage had a good amount of movement that I capitalize on, while I did get all my hits I did end up dropping 12C/B's and 1 delta on a 32 round course of fire. Ended up running it the fastest overall for the match by at least .5 seconds, but due to the minor points scoring I ended up taking 3rd overall on the stage, but did end up taking it for PCC.

On the 22nd I'll be shooting the resurgence 3gun match, and I tested out my "kit" at the local USPSA match, the battle belt fit good for the match but with vigorous movement the belt would ride up and down, so now I'm going to have to figure out how to put Velcro on the belt to keep it in place, also I did some patterning of 00Buck with my shotgun at various distances as well as some slugs at close tight targets. I'm still playing with the idea of using my STI Edge .40 for the match vs using my XDM .45, and rifle is still and issue, right now I built 2 Iron sighted rifles a 20inch and 18inch. Both shoot well but I just get comfortable behind either one, shooting 12 inch targets at 300 yard has been interesting, at one moment I'll have a 2MOA group for 10 rounds with either rifle, then I'll remount the rifle and end up with a shotgun pattern barely getting all shots on a IPSC metric target. I'm clearly not mounting the rifle the same each time and using real irons vs a reddot/prism head placement is more cruisal. I brought my normal 3gun rifle and put a 1-5burris on it and zeroed at 300, my hits were more consistent with the scope at all ranges. (very few makeup shots..surprise..). So I'm not sure what to do. I really want to shoot Iron sights for this match but due to lack of practice with real irons and the fact the match is only a week away, I might just run with the scope rifle instead, it is at the maximum weight of 10.5lbs so it should be good to go for the match.

Resurgence will be my last major match for this year and I'll be cutting back my major match 3gun attendance next year to maybe 3 to 4 matches. I'll be focusing more on PCC in USPSA as I feel I have a good chance to compete at a high level at larger USPSA matches. Area 3 caught me off guard in allowing PCC with less then a month of it being recognized as a division, so if its there next year I'll be ready for it.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This past Saturday I shot Cha-lee's HPPS uspsa Match for it's inaugural debut of PCC division. I forgot to bring my camera with me so I wasn't able to get any video done. But the weather was great and it was some awesome blasting. My squad had a short delay due to a Nook issue but afterwards no hiccups what so ever for the rest of the match.

https://practiscore.com/results/html/40bfe785-869d-4c72-a994-a10ed1a62f51?page=matchCombined

We did end up getting 4 people to shoot PCC which was great, and I didn't get to shoot the Sunday match in the north end of Colorado but they had 8 PCC shooters, none of which shot on Saturday. PCC is growing at least in my area.

I had a couple of goals I wanted to focus on for this match; One, when I can shoot on the move. Two, try to shoot 2/3rd of A's per stage. and Three, if nothing else speed is king.

Four out of the 6 stages I did pretty well to keep to my goals, on the last stage though I decided to just go all out on speed, neglecting hits. This unfortunately caused me to nail a No-shoot which made me stutter step to make up the lost shot and I also only shot 50% of the A's with 9C's and 2D's, while it was a fast time dropping that many points and also having one penalty dropped me around the 23rd Overall mark on that stage. The classifier didn't end well either as I forgot to chamber around at the start, and the round I did chamber had a backwards primer.

I got to remind myself that PCC is a minor scoring game, while I had great times on most of the stages I also ended up tagging 6D's throughout the match, most of which I called D hits and continued on. On my last stage I didn't even use my dot to aim causing me to miss out on a butt load of points. I'm going to modify a couple of goals here; for one try to at least shoot 75% of A's per stage without dropping a D. If shooting fast and close target at least make it a goal to "see" the Azone if I'm not going to pay attention to the dot, I believe this is what hurt me on my last stage as I was just shooting for "brown". My moving and shooting was good and I didn't back down on shooting on moving on partial targets, it just made me more hesitant on slapping the trigger and waiting for the dot to get on the target. I would like to get some range time and see on how fast I can Actually move and shoot on partials as it seem open face targets from 20 yards and in wasn't causing any noticeable slowdown on my part.

So Goals to work on
1) 75% of A's hit per stage
2) Try to limit D hits to 0
3) If shooting fast up close targets, look through the targets A zone instead of the whole target.
4) Work on skill set to shoot partials faster while moving.

Edited by DocMedic

• 4 weeks later...

Since last time I posted, I've only had the opportunity to shoot a hand full of matches to include The Resurgance 3gun match in Logan NM. I've already posted a long thing in the 3-Gun match discussion thread so I'll leave it their. Things to take though is I ended placing 7th overall in the match using a scoped minor rifle and major .45 pistol. Next year I'll be bringing precision ammo for 300 yard standards, and I'll more then likely be bringing a .40Cal STI even though I did pretty damn well on standards shooting a XDM. I had several FN "jams" on my shotgun but it didn't really cost me much time.

Since then I've had a opportunity to shoot two local USPSA matches, one a indoor match and the other a Super Classifier. Both matches I shot with my MPX PCC gun. For the Indoor night match, I was helping a fellow shooter out as it was his first match and he wanted to compete with his Scorpion EVO. We also had a 3gunner shoot his PCC gun, so in total with me another guy and those two we had 4 PCC shooters:

https://www.uspsa.org/uspsa-display-match-results-detail.php?indx=18766&division=PCC&guntype=Pistol

For the match it went ok, I did end up chucking two Mikes. both in hardcover, one due to Dot Offset, and the second miss was due to a un-normal tough shot on a horizontal Metric target with the upper part being Hardcover. I didn't give the target enough attention and putting a nice pair in the Azone... except one of the azone shot was hardcover. The other hardcover was just because of Dot Offset. I have to remember at the really close targets I have a 3inch POA/POI that I need to compensate for.

For the Super Classifier I went into complete Hero or Zero mode. Ended up doing well on 03-09 at 97%, 99-46 at 100% and 13-03 at 95%, as well as picking up a bunch of 80%s on the rest of the stages that I didn't blow. Those haven't been posted yet as the stats lady was out of town but my classification updated today without those classifiers and I'm sitting at 86% in PCC. So depending how the math is done I'll be either 91% or 92% when the super classifiers kick in, but what will suck is that my next classifier that I will shoot will bump off one of my 100% stages :( And then I'm not sure how it will work after that since 5 of the 6 classifier that will count where all shot on the same day. Do they just kick out the worst score from my "current" 8 or is there another chance I'll lose another one of my 100% two classifiers later? Anyway it will work itself out later, I just hate being this close only to lose to good ones later :)

I'll be on hiatus from shooting for probably a month. This coming weekend I'm getting married, and we'll be heading off for the honeymoon right after. Then after that I have no real big matches in 3gun coming in a few months so I'll being going for the GM grind for PCC. 

• 1 month later...

Was able to get out to the range after my wedding. I ended shoot pretty decent, with only a couple of minor mistakes, I wanted to focus on aggressive movement and shot placement and for the most part I did just that. Here's the video from this match minus to classifier. results here: https://practiscore.com/results/new/28483

Results: https://practiscore.com/results/new/28790

This past weekend I took advantage of visiting the in-laws place and took my father-in-law to the Weld USPSA match to do a little PCC shooting. The weather was cold but warmed up into the high 50's by the time the first shooter started. We had a total of 11 PCC shooter's, which as far as I know this is the most we had at one match at any given time. I only had one brain fart for the match, the first stage (stage 5) I shot was a wide open 32 round stage and I honestly didn't give it enough attention as I should, with everything out in the open and close I figured out a plan and did only 1 or 2 walkthroughs and called it good. What I didn't expect was almost going empty on a 40 round magazine, and trying to shoot a very small plate (bowling pins) from a far distance, to top it off I threw a Mike on a headshot and on the last paper target against the wall I completely forgot to even shoot it. While my time was one of the fastest for the stage going 40 points down from penalties and in turn not really having a great run ended up losing around 40 match points.

On stage 2, I thought I had a great run going but ended up being beat by one second with the same hits by a GM who was shooting PCC for the match. Unfortunately his gun suffered some set backs through out the match so he couldn't be competitive which was a bummer, I would really like to see where I would really stand if a GM took up PCC and shot it seriously. Cha-Lee also took a half second on me taking the overall for the stage because of Major scoring (Same hits). The only place I think I "could" had made up some time would had been in the first position, I got in it deep to shoot the 4th target when I could had shot the 4th target on the move after or before the second port. My thinking was it would eliminate one transition and in theory should be faster, but when it was said and done I ended up needing to get to tight in the first port which cost me some time. Other thing I could think of is maybe sprinting and shooting on the close open targets. While I was moving I wasn't moving as fast as I could to the next position as I was focus on the gun to get the targets in front of me. At that Range I don't really need the greatest sight picture to get hits and snap shooting would probably had been good enough.

Stage 3 was the classifier. After looking at the starting position for PCC, the crazy lean I would have to do, and looking at my AZS app. I decided that there was no way to achieve a 95% or better HF. So I decided instead of chasing the classifier I would just shoot it for match score. I ended still doing good on it but at a 78% national hit-factor, just well enough for it not to count :P. None of the GM's at the match were able to achieve a GM HF in their division on this classifier, though one got close in limited.

Rest of the stages went as well as my current skill set will allow.

Things I would like to practice.

My splits at open targets 15 yards and in while I'm flat footed is about .15 to .18, but I can't seem to match my transitions splits. I'm not sure if I'm so focus to make sure that first shot is A that I'm slowing down just a little to much during the transition.

I want to setup a course where targets are at 5 yards and in and just sprint through and snap aim to see where I'm at. I'm noticing that during shooting on the move when there a few targets close to each other I'll keep my head in the scope which I believe slows me down just enough, but enough to make me go slow.

Don't be afraid to get close to target just because I have a PCC gun, I Often think I can take the perceived advantage of the extra stability that I take longer shots then I need too. Stage 5 would be a great example for this.

• 4 weeks later...

This past Sunday I shot USPSA at Pueblo, Morning started in the low 30's at setup and by the time of start we were in the 50's and warming up. Match ran smooth and we manage to put up 5+1 Stages for the match. I focused a little more on accuracy for the match and except for leaving a steel up on the classifier I was sitting at 91%. I'm going to need to review my videos more but it felt like I was just wasn't launching off fast and taking advantage of the movement as I should. Several stages I was beaten time wise by a second or two from the other two gm's in both OPEN and Limited. They are fast shooters but on a normal match experience I would at least get about 5 secs total on both of them at the end of the match. I did end up having one big screwup that cost me at least 8 secs but even subtracting those 8 secs I was still behind the pace by 2 or 3 seconds which would be really unusual. I'm not sure if trying to get better hits cost me to slow down, which at the time I didn't feel like it did or if it was the fact that I was wrapped in more clothing and wearing boots the was screwing with me. Either way I feel that going for points might not be the way for PCC at not for me. Oh after this next update I should be sitting at 96% in PCC, so yay finally nocked that out of the way.

• 1 month later...

This past Monday I shot at our monthly indoor night match at Whistling Pines. This was the first USPSA match of the year for me as I took a needed break from shooting to get my affairs in order for the coming shooting year. I didn't have time to record any videos but still ended up doing well considering that I haven't shot my PCC gun in little over two months.

Stage one required you to retreat about 10 feet back to the shooting line before you could engage the COF, due to the slippery floors; I about ate it the very first step I took once I dropped my weight to a sprint at the beginning. In a panic I started to speed up my shooting once I got to shooting area and wasn't getting the greatest of hits. Also my walkthrough didn't pan out the way I would had thought while I was shooting, due to shooting the targets "too fast" I wasn't able to shoot on the move on array of targets like I wanted as they haven't appeared yet. What ended up happening is my head staying inside the scope and range walking to the array when I should had "sprinted" the 5 to 6 feet to get within engagement distances.

Stage 2, was a quick burner 3 box setup. with a few sideways targets covered in either no shoots or hardcover, I had no issues with this stage.

Stage 3, was a repeat of stage two minus one target and "low light" conditions, I ended up shooting the stage about a second faster but dropped 2HF vs what I did on stage 2. 9HF vs 7HF. Stage 2 I shot 90% of the points and stage 3 I shot 80% of the points, I got to keep reminding myself that points still matter!

Stage 4 was the Classifier; Times Two CM99-10. This one of my favorite classifiers as it involves movement. I ended up shooting 90% of the points in 5.19 secs. The first 3 targets flow really good; getting into the second box ready to shoot was great, but on the last 3 targets I didn't have the same "smoothness" that I did with the first 3, I believe this had to do that I shot this section from right to left, where in the first box I shot left to right and for that reason I think that my PCC gun tracks a little to the right after a shot so its easier to "ride" the shot during the transition. Solution go bang out a couple plate racks or even EL prez until my right to left transition is as good as my left to right.

results: https://practiscore.com/results/new/31348

All in all a good way to start to the year. I haven't figure if I can make the dates work but I might end up shooting USPSA Multigun Nationals as my first match this year, then after that a whole slew of matches to follow but first I need to get my A5 to my gunsmith and back so I can have a good quantity time with getting better with it.

Edited by DocMedic

• 2 weeks later...

What a train wreck of a weekend worth of shooting! I got a lot a feedback for myself during the two days worth of matches though. First of all make sure you read the WSB for the classifier.. I ended up with the fastest time on it but ate 8 procedures for my efforts which tanked 70 match points right off the bat. For these two matches I was only focusing on speed not so much points, and before penalties I was still above my threshold of 85% but with both match shot I ended up with 6 misses and 8 procedures all together. The idea was to push it as hard as I can when it came to sight picture but 90% of my misses where from moving aggressively towards the target; the second shot would always hit low either in the hardcover or just not on target, my assumption is that I must be rocking a little too much on the foot plant causing me to dip the gun just enough to throw those mikes, I'm going to have to get some outdoor practice and do some movement forward while shooting drills to see what I can do to reduce my miss percentage. The other misses where my bone head mistakes of point and shoot targets that are 5 yards away while in acquired position and forgetting to bring enough bullets to finish the stage.

Another thing was I dropped more C hits then I should had, C hits happen I understand it especially that if I'm going for the 2 on brown mentality , but it was almost to the point where I was just aiming at the C on purpose to go faster. On a peacock 3 target array with the middle no shoot, I purposely aimed on the outside of the A zone of both outside targets just to go faster; this ended up hitting 4 C's. not one being a Alpha.. target was only 5 yards away, and I ended up dropping 8 points for maybe a .5 sec advantage for time. I need to get in the mind set that I need to aim harder for A's and accept the C hits when they happen, not aim on brown and blow two shots and be content with it. I had a lot of great fast stages get squandered by piss poor points, easy points I lost out on. On the plus side when I'm forced to stand and shoot; both my transition and points per second look great, when I don't have to deal with all the extra movement placed in the dot I can command the dot to point right at the middle of the target and rip.

I'm going to be gone for another two / three weeks due to military obligation so my training for this springs is a bit short but I'm grabbing as much info I can both in matches and practices to tailor a better regime of what needs to be worked on. I'm going to have a off-weekend coming up so I'm going to take advantage of the situation and make sure all guns are QC for the coming season.

Results for both matches:
https://practiscore.com/results/new/31917 Weld County on Sunday

https://practiscore.com/results/new/31808 HPPS on Saturday.

• 3 months later...

There is to much for me to say about my shooting in the past 4 months, so I'll just highlight,

First thing, At the beginning of May I no longer shoot on the Rudy Project Shooting PRO Team. Kevin Gentry has been a great Teams Manager, and Rudy Project Shooting Team has treated me well over the past 6 years, but I had a opportunity come up that I could not pass up. I am helping test bed practical action shooting sports in the United States Army Reserve Competitive Marksmanship Team, and this is HUGE. Traditionally the USAR-CMP only supported bullseye style sports, IE Highpower, with International Combat Shooting being the exception. So it is a Honor and a giant Privilege to represent the USAR in Practical Shooting Sports.

In May I shot the He-Man 3Gun Nationals in Raton NM in He-Man irons division, and for the match I did fairly well. I kept my act together for most of the stages only having issues with my last stage of the day, and by then I was exhausted and tired of being cold and wet due to the rain. I ended finishing 3rd behind the usual suspects but closed the gap from first at 93%

This past weekend I finally got to shoot a LVL 2 match in PCC division at the Mile High Showdown that Cha-lee is the Match director for. For the past three months I've been having nothing but issues with my MPX with double feeds, stove pipes and everything imaginable. In little over a year of owning the firearm I have put 12.5k bullets through it and around 10k+ I started to have issues. We had a local match the Sunday prior to MHS and I couldn't make it 3 or 4 shots in before it started to jam. So I took it all apart, replaced every spring, ultrasonic every part and test fire to only find it doing the same thing, now luckily for me I have great friends who allow me to borrow guns in a time of crisis. So I borrowed a friends Gen 2 MPX upper and slapped all my reddots and gen1 lower and I was good to go. The Gun ran 100% during the whole time at MHS, and for the most part I stayed on top of my game through out the match. My contour died on me sometime after the second stage I shot and I didn't notice till sometime after lunch so I wasn't able to get all my stages recorded but I did get lucky and did get a few with my phone.

Results here: https://uspsa.org/uspsa-display-match-results-detail.php?indx=21707&division=PCC&guntype=Pistol

The Gen 1 MPX is heading back to Sig to see what they can do to repair it, as of now I picked up a Gen 2 MPX Carbine so I can still shoot PCC locally and also to provide a backup gun for majors and not have to worry about filing another Tax Stamp for a SBR.

With Mile High Showdown behind me, my next match is the Nightforce 2 gun match, which I have not touched my LR gun in over a year, so this will make thing interesting, also following weekend will be the Colorado 3 Gun Championships that I will be shooting Limited in. So yea game on.

Edited by DocMedic