Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

140mm vs 170mm

slinginlead

Ok, got a question for ya. I was told by a top gun builder today that open shooters do not buy 170mm mags they only buy 140mm mags. This person also told me I just need to shoot 140mm mags in open cause the 170mm mags are finicky. I was also told by this person to get on the internet and do some searching. Well, that is what I am doing.

Do you buy into this and what is your opinion.

thanks

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello: I know some very good shooters who only use 170mm mags. I have only used 140mm mags as well depending on how the stage is setup. My 140mm mags hold 26 rounds so I am not giving up much to my 30 round 170mm mags. I would get 2 170mm mags and 4 140mm mags. That will cover all you will ever need. Thanks, Eric

I use all 170's for these reasons,

1. more bullets

2. All the same parts which can be exchanged from one mag to another.

3. more bullets

4. When I order springs at the end of the year, hey don't have to worry about 11 vs 13 coils.

5. more bullets

6. they all feel the same from one mag to the other as far as weight, feel, height to me which equals more consistency. ( I could be way off base on this one but It is the way I perceive it.)

7. last but not least, more bullets.

Same here. 170's all the time unless a stage benefits with 140's.

Granted I'm not an Open shooter (although I very much want to be - bank account says differently), but what kind of stage favors a 140 over a 170? I shoot Limited so its 140s all day everyday, but I can't think of a time I would want less pew pew.

I'd like to hear who said this too if you would pm me please. I've got 2 170's and 4 140's I tend to use the 170's the most. I like the reloads with them over the 140's. never have had reliability issues with either and I like more bullets.

I have carried nothing but 170mm mags for years, of all the things we try to keep consistent why not the mags as well?

Once I got used to the reload with 170mm, everything always feels the same....but I like a heavy feel anyway.

Sherwyn

Same here. 170's all the time unless a stage benefits with 140's.

Can I hear a reason why on this please. I would not see a reason for 140's at all, can you help me out.

Though I have not seen many lately, stages that require the shooter to go prone or shoot a very low port may work out better with a 140.

My 170 holds 30 rds and I usually start a stage with it in my gun. I do reload better with the shorter mags.

Stages that require several rounds less than the capacity of my 140 mags may see me use the shorter mags just to save wear and tear on the big sticks.

Stage designers up here have a nasty habit of making longer courses 32 rounds so that open shooters have to reload unless they are the unicorns who have a 31 round reliable 170 mag. Then part the cof is long mini-popper shots, making even that diceyI generally either do it with 2-140's or start with a 140 and reload to my 170 off the belt. That all depends on the cof. I do hate dropping the 170's on a gravel surface bay! As with the others, I generally use a 170 nearly all the time for those stages less than 30 rds, except for those pesky 6 - 8 rd classifiers where it doesn't make much sense or those mandatory reload stages where I can reload the 140 faster with my small hands. My 170 mags are every bit as reliable as my 140's.

I like using 140's when I have to reload. I seem to be able to manipulate them better. I use the 170 on those stages less than 30 rounds or in a field stage where the reload point doesn't work out for 140's. I've never had any problems with either length and use both depending on the stage.

See, this is what I was thinking. 140's if you have them but the benefit all the way around is 170's. So why would this person want to argue with me that I was uninformed and I did not know what I was doing. hmmmm.