Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Nooks to buy for Practiscore?

Nimitz

I just got the go ahead from the pistol director at my club to start buying Nooks so we can do electronic scoring at my Steel Challenge matches so I'm on the hunt for inexpensive ones ...

Ebay has lots of used BNRV200 units (8MB - WiFi) ones listed for under $30

Is that what I want?

or do I want the Nook Simple Touch or NST Glowlight? (BNRV300/350)

Edited by Nimitz

If you can find them, Nook Simple Touch is great. VERY LONG Battery Life. Only issue we have had is Dust. Get yourself some brushes to clean the edges of the screen and no problem, Actually you can just hold them up and blow across all four edges.

the brand new current ones don't but the older models do ....

so as long as I get one NST or NST Glowlight that has gather SD card I should be go to go?

I would check the tolls you use to root NST first if they support glowlight or not.

There are also tablets from companies like Dragon Touch available at Amazon pretty inexpensively. They are straight up Android, no need to root anything, and they have an actual touch screen, not the perimeter reading screen like the nooks.

There are also tablets from companies like Dragon Touch available at Amazon pretty inexpensively. They are straight up Android, no need to root anything, and they have an actual touch screen, not the perimeter reading screen like the nooks.

Hmm. From the recent reviews:

It works well for the most part. The internet can be a bit slow. Sometimes games "unfortunately stop working". The battery life is only for a few hours and most of the time it doesn't charge up until 100%, only until 95-96%. I wish the charger cord was longer but I'm sure I can buy an extension elsewhere. You definitely get what you paid for since it is cheaper than most tablets.

I'd stay away from that.

• 2 months later...

I doubt that the Cheap-O Dragon Touch Tablet's battery would last long enough for scoring a whole club match, much less a major match.

We turn off the WiFi before they go out and have no trouble getting through an 8 stage match with them. Wish the screens were brighter but they work. Have used Nooks and the battle with the dust is a pain as it is with most perimeter reading screens in an outdoor environment.

...which means you're not syncing back to a master during the match. That is, if someone drop the tablet and steps on it, you either just lost that stage or lost that entire squad's match. Not good.

Not necessary. Recent android app versions allow to write readable text log with all scores to an SD card. So, you could use that to recover scores from completely broken device. Setting is on the match editing screen, you can select location of text log in there.

Two things here, One I have to do that setting as I don't want to risk a match, in 15 + years I've only ever lost one stage so knock on wood....

Issue two, dust, Dollar Store, they have some really nice brushes for.................wait for it..........a DOLLAR

and you can trim the brush handle and put an eraser on it and use it as a stylus.

The real issue is if it rains, water on the screens really sucketh the big one.

• 3 months later...

I'd like to chime in and suggest getting some Amazon Kindle 7" tablets. They are $50 brand NEW right now. And they are reported to have hours on-screen battery life (someone reviewed that they read with the screen on for 5 hours and had 46% battery life left, so way more screen use vs. using Practiscore).

Practiscore is on the Amazon appstore right now, so there's no messing around needed..

Edited by hceuterpe

At one of our local clubs, the MD decided it was time to give up the joys of deciphering paper score sheets and go electronic for the monthly match. But, he wasn't sure if he wanted to shell out the money for tablets because of abuse, damage and possible theft. So, he had a BYOD* match as a trial. He set up the match on a master tablet and WiFi for the match and had people bring their own devices to score "squads". The match is run open squadding so there are various size groups drifting from stage to stage. It has worked real well. There were some surprised people in the beginning but it is working pretty smoothly. It is not uncommon to have 2 or more devices available for each "squad". And the shooters take very good care of THEIR devices ;) I have loaned my NST out to groups that have either not had a device loaded or were low on battery.

This method is not without issues, but it has worked in this case...

Later,

Chuck

*Bring Your Own Device"

...which means you're not syncing back to a master during the match. That is, if someone drop the tablet and steps on it, you either just lost that stage or lost that entire squad's match. Not good.

Not necessary. Recent android app versions allow to write readable text log with all scores to an SD card. So, you could use that to recover scores from completely broken device. Setting is on the match editing screen, you can select location of text log in there.

euxx, not wanting to hijack this thread but...if I set the folder save location to the /sdcard/.... Path. Practiscore will save scores their on every score entry? To the SD card right? I would have to remove the card from the destroyed device and put it in a different device, like a laptop/desktop to recover scores(text file) from destroyed device? If that's the way to do that, that is a great feature or piece of mind that I will use in my next match. Thanks!

I use the Nook Simple Touch with great results. Rain is a problem, but it is for everything not just the scoring tablets.

euxx, not wanting to hijack this thread but...if I set the folder save location to the /sdcard/.... Path. Practiscore will save scores their on every score entry? To the SD card right? I would have to remove the card from the destroyed device and put it in a different device, like a laptop/desktop to recover scores(text file) from destroyed device? If that's the way to do that, that is a great feature or piece of mind that I will use in my next match. Thanks!

I use the Nook Simple Touch with great results. Rain is a problem, but it is for everything not just the scoring tablets.

This is a good enough question to have its own thread!

Yes. However that text file can't be easily imported back into PractiScore (the file is human readable) and you would have to manually re-enter all the scores. This feature was initially intended more for auditing purposes and as a last resort to recover scores when everything else fail.

We could save the data files to SD card too, but there are open issues with potential data tampering, so it is not necessarily a good idea.

Yes. However that text file can't be easily imported back into PractiScore (the file is human readable) and you would have to manually re-enter all the scores. This feature was initially intended more for auditing purposes and as a last resort to recover scores when everything else fail.

We could save the data files to SD card too, but there are open issues with potential data tampering, so it is not necessarily a good idea.

Cool. Im using this little gem. Could come in very handy! thanks again.