Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 help

tcazes

So I'm new to 1911 ownership. Not shooting them just ownership. I have acquired a rock island tac II full size 9mm and have a few questions

How wet do 1911s generally run? I run just enough lube to get a light coating on the feed rails of my g34 and that's it. Do 1911s run generally wet? If so what are the main places to lube?

Magazines

It seems there are a million threads on tuning and springs and followers and bend this polish that round of this etc threads. What magazines should I look into getting ti start with? Willson? Tripp? I shoot idpa so 10rnd would be optimal but I want utmost reliability since it is also my edc.

Other than magazine headaches there doesn't seem to be many other issues with 1911s. I read the frequently asked thread about recoil springs and recoil buffers and have a generally understanding there. Really the only thing I want for my gun, besides reliable mags is an extended slide release so I can drop the slide with my thumb.

Thanks in advance!

More metal on metal in a 1911 so there are more areas to lubricate,and not overly too much just spreads the gunk around.

Mags you can not go wrong with those 3,my experience with Wilson's and plastic follower though do not go together well with sand.

Lube the rails with a drop on each side, put a drop each on the lugs on top and bottom of the barrel and reassemble. Then, with the unloaded gun closed, go to the ejection port and put one small drop of oil at the rear of the barrel and another at the front. Then open the gun, lock the slide back and put one drop on the front of the barrel. Cycle the gun a few times and go shoot it. That's just seven small drops for the whole gun.

Got a Springfield 9mm Loaded runs Metalform 10 round mags with zero issues. Same tubes as Dawson, but about $10.00 cheaper. Which would make no difference if they didn't work, but they do so it's a win-win.

I use grease on the rails (slide glide, red, it's a loose gun, rattles when grease is not applied), and oil the rails after each match. Also drops of oil on lugs, slide stop pin, bushing to frame and barrel to bushing.

Cleaned rarely, it runs with zero issues.

Tripp are out of stock everywhere so some Wilson's are on order. Thanks for the help everyone. Going pick the gun up today then doing a complete tear down to clean everything and relube

I"m new to both shooting 1911's and owning them. My singular 1911 is my SVI .40 Cal 1911 that I've been using for USPSA Single Stack.

I'm used to shooting traditional SA/DA pistols (Beretta, 3rd Gen smith) and striker fired pistols (Glock) that don't require all that much oil and, in fact, having lots of oil on them can cause issues. It seems to be the opposite with 1911 pistols. I'm using the recommended Slide Glide on my SV and using quite a bit of it. I think the word "slathered" is an accurate description of how much I'm using.

The pistol runs great. The early issues that I did have with the pistol (a failure to feed now and again) appear to have been break-in related. I was using brand new Wilson and Tripp mags with a brand new 1911 so I don't know which of those had to get broken in to get to where it is now with reliability, but it runs great now.

I'm using Tripp 10 round 40 cal Corey System mags where Tripp takes their normal Tripp mags and works on the baseplates so that they are USPSA Single Stack legal in length. The customer service over at Tripp is just fantastic so I recommend them highly. People really dig their Wilson mags and the ones that I have used so far (the .45 cal ETM mags) seem like great mags. They're just a tad bit short when it comes to working with my mag well so I've been just using the Tripp mags as my primary mags.

I want to get a backup 1911 at some point down the road and I'll use the Wilson mags for that.

Edited by ericjhuber

I use lite Slide Glide on my rails, locking lugs, and a drop of oil on the disconnector and sear, I got a smoking deal on 5 NIB Wilson 10rd 9mm mags for 100 bucks, my 9mm RO runs flawlessly

I shot the new 1911 in a steel match yesterday. First two strictly gs I had 3 ftf due to not fully seating some flush mount 9rnders.(my hand hit the magwell and I thought I was good.) All I can say is I LOVE THIS GUN! Shooting 9mm minor it hit whatever I pointed it at. No recoil from a 124 berry preferences over 4.0 n320. I was In love. Put my current idpa rig up for sale and since this ria 1911 tac II Is also my edc gun it will be nice to carry what I compete with. Can't wait to get my dawsons in and start shooting some more!

Trying to find that magic reload for it since I don't care for berry's accuracy and well, bayou flat nose don't feed well, and the icing on the cake....I can't get n320 anymore!

So going try some wst with some bayou 135 and 124 today to try and find that sweet spot but damn I must say idk why I didn't switch to a 1911 sooner!