Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550b Must-Have Accessories

Having loaded over 7000 rounds on my Dillon 550b now, here is my list of must-have accessories to make your life easier:

1. Strong Mount - you need a steady press for consistent loads
  2. Bullet Tray - speeds up loading by keeping bullets close
  3. Bob Chute - keeps 99% of spent primers where they belong
  4. Micrometer power bar kit - keeps your powder drops consistent, easily return to different load settings
  5. Roller Handle - I prefer the Ergo from Inline Fabrication, makes a lot of loading easy on the shoulder
  6. Case Lube - I use One Shot, makes loading smoother
  7. LED light - I use one from UniqueTek, makes checking powder drops easy

What are your 550 must-haves?

Edited by ES13Raven

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you. I haven't reloaded before, but recently picked up a used 550 and am slowly but surely accumulating gear and supplies. I've also been pouring over the forum for any help I can get in hopes of eliminating as much trial and error as possible.

Case Feeder

Roller Handle

Strongmount

Bullet Tray

Tool Holder for each quick change head

10 Small Primer Pickup Tubes

Hundo Case Gauge

48" T8 Fluorescent lights directly above the press.

This is my first post here. I've just finished reloading my first 1000 9mmL and 1000 223R on my new 550B and I have a couple of comments/questions about your recommendations.

I mounted this press on a heavy and stable bench. I haven't noted any flexing during any of the operations so it is very "stable." After the initial setting up and adjusting of the dies I'm using I am getting consistent results of powders dispensed and COALs. I think for this bench adding the strong mount would change my ability to look down into the case at station #2. Is there any other reason for the strong mount?

Your bullet tray suggestion a must. I added an extension to the ejected case bracket to add another bin so prepped cases were in a convenient location for picking up and placement into station #1. See attached photo. When previewing this attachment I see it's a thumbnail so I don't know if the bracket extension clearly shows the case pickup bin.

I'm thinking about your roller handle suggestion. How is the Inline Fabrications better than the Dillon's? Are there other choices?

Being an old and ornery my eyes do require better lighting. I wasn't aware of the UniqueTek's light so I just ordered the Inline Fabrications unit. I hope this choice was a good one.

post-33670-0-36742500-1432924684_thumb.j

Instead of buying the bob chute(great idea) I drilled a hole in the bottom of spent primer box, with 1/2 inch bit, then screwed in a brass plumbing fitting. One side has the ads the other is barbed to slide the house onto. Then ran that to gallon juice jug under the bench. Cost like 12 bucks.

Case Feeder

Roller Handle

Strongmount

Bullet Tray

Tool Holder for each quick change head

10 Small Primer Pickup Tubes

Hundo Case Gauge

48" T8 Fluorescent lights directly above the press.

+1 on the lighting. I have lots of lights in different spots so I don't have any shadows.

Having loaded over 7000 rounds on my Dillon 550b now, here is my list of must-have accessories to make your life easier:

1. Strong Mount - you need a steady press for consistent loads
  2. Bullet Tray - speeds up loading by keeping bullets close
  3. Bob Chute - keeps 99% of spent primers where they belong
  4. Micrometer power bar kit - keeps your powder drops consistent, easily return to different load settings
  5. Roller Handle - I prefer the Ergo from Inline Fabrication, makes a lot of loading easy on the shoulder
  6. Case Lube - I use One Shot, makes loading smoother
  7. LED light - I use one from UniqueTek, makes checking powder drops easy

Since you have the Strong Mount... Do you have the Empty Case Bin?

This is my first post here. I've just finished reloading my first 1000 9mmL and 1000 223R on my new 550B and I have a couple of comments/questions about your recommendations.

I mounted this press on a heavy and stable bench. I haven't noted any flexing during any of the operations so it is very "stable." After the initial setting up and adjusting of the dies I'm using I am getting consistent results of powders dispensed and COALs. I think for this bench adding the strong mount would change my ability to look down into the case at station #2. Is there any other reason for the strong mount?

Your bullet tray suggestion a must. I added an extension to the ejected case bracket to add another bin so prepped cases were in a convenient location for picking up and placement into station #1. See attached photo. When previewing this attachment I see it's a thumbnail so I don't know if the bracket extension clearly shows the case pickup bin.

I'm thinking about your roller handle suggestion. How is the Inline Fabrications better than the Dillon's? Are there other choices?

Being an old and ornery my eyes do require better lighting. I wasn't aware of the UniqueTek's light so I just ordered the Inline Fabrications unit. I hope this choice was a good one.

I like the strong mount because I use a bar stool height chair while loading.... or occasionally stand to load.

I mounted a mechanics mirrow that is adjustable so I can see in the shell casings to check powder charge. Dont need to change positions a quick glance and you know you are good to go.

This guy makes a great mirror if you load seated.

For me, the standard ball handle position was causing shoulder pain (I load standing). I bought the Ergo roller handle and the shoulder pain went away. I didn't have to pull the handle down as far. It's all about ergonomics.

I use 2 products on all of my 550B's I didn't see listed. One is the primer slide plate that eliminates all of the priming issues I had on my older worn units and the other is those great foam covers for the roller handles that Unique tek sells. I should have never tried one of the foam covers because now I am hooked. Don't plan on buying just one if you have more than one loader equipped with a roller handle. Both of these are a must have item for my 550's.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dillon-550B-550-Primer-Slide-Bearing-Track-Plate-w-Ball-Bearing-2nd-Generation-/231547695953

http://www.uniquetek.com/site/696296/product/T1527

Edited by bowenbuilt

I use 2 products on all of my 550B's I didn't see listed. One is the primer slide plate that eliminates all of the priming issues I had on my older worn units and the other is those great foam covers for the roller handles that Unique tek sells. I should have never tried one of the foam covers because now I am hooked. Don't plan on buying just one if you have more than one loader equipped with a roller handle. Both of these are a must have item for my 550's.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dillon-550B-550-Primer-Slide-Bearing-Track-Plate-w-Ball-Bearing-2nd-Generation-/231547695953

http://www.uniquetek.com/site/696296/product/T1527

i just picked up one of these primer slide plates. I have loaded about 200 rounds so far and it has been working good.

I have one of the first generation plates and just couldn't decide if it improved the function or not. Is the new one working well? Do you consider it a big enough improvement to warrant the purchase?

I have one of the first generation plates and just couldn't decide if it improved the function or not. Is the new one working well? Do you consider it a big enough improvement to warrant the purchase?

I have about 400 rounds loaded with it so far and no sticking. I want to wait till I load a few hundred more before I give my final decision. I have noticed a few more sideways primers though.

The only must have is a 650, with the BE as it should be, the 550 is a fine machine, but the 650 is better choice for mass producing ammo, anything that makes ammo faster is money well spent, because less time reloading means more time shooting and or dry firing

The primer slide plate works great. 100% reliable priming now. Don't have to worry about it any more. Still drops primers on the floor instead of in the cup 20% of the time but that's a different issue.

Worth every penny. The idea of the plate is to support the primer slide at it's furthest rearward travel. If you look at the primer slide when it is all the way to the rear it tips down somewhat from the spring pressure and 3/4 of it is off the machine. As your loader gets some age on it and the areas around the slide start to wear a little it causes the slide to hesitate, shimmy and jump back into position. The plate or bearing offers support to the primer slide during its entire travel so it operates more smoothly, does not tip up and causes less wear in the slide opening. I have a very old 550 that I have lost track of the rounds it has loaded. I guess I should really box it up and send it back for a refurb but it is my favorite of the 3 550's I have because it operates so smoothly. The primer slide was giving me fits a while back and even with replacement parts it still did the wiggle and snap. The bearing completely eliminated this problem so I would say yes, worth every penny on a new or old one.

Edited by bowenbuilt

Brownbuilt - I have an old 550 that was updated (for the most part) to a 550B configuration. Mine runs very smooth and I don't have any issues with the primer feed bar.
It does not have the Dillon p/n: 14051 primer slide track bearing. You mention that you used this kit with an old 550. Did it have the track bearing or was it pre primer slide track bearing? just curious if you used this kit successfully with the pre-primer slide bearing version of the 550.

edit - forgot to add that a baby sock works great on the stock ball handle to make things easier on your hand. Have to remove the hand from the handle anyway to feed a case, so the roller handle isn't as important as it is on a 650 IMO.

Edited by Bamboo

It did not have the new type slide plate when I purchased it. I did add the newer plate from Dillon along with a new primer slide trying to get it to stop hesitating and sticking so yes it works with the older presses just fine, also checked the area where the 2 mounting screws go through to make sure the bulge was not causing the problem. It worked OK after adding the new parts but I still noticed that the slide would hesitate and had some delay when it was tipped up. The rear support of the aftermarket bearing and plate stopped all of this and now it travels smoothly without any delay.

I'm not sure the strong mount makes the press any more stable, what it or the press is mounted to is really the deciding factor on press stability.

Yep, the casting will flex less than the sheet metal "strong mount" unless your bench is so weak it needs the extra foot print.

I have extra "stuff" for my 650's and 1050's but the only "must have" out of that list I have for my 550 (and all my other presses) is the case lube.