Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

18" Nordic paired with Voodoo Low mass carrier Problems

Oskino

On my current 3 Gun Rifle I am trying my hardest to get my Nordic Barrel to cycle my low mass carrier. Gun is set up as follows

Non adjustable Gas block, EMPTY Carbine Buffer, TTI Buffer Spring ,Rifle length gas System.

I also have tried Carbine Buffer and Carbine Buffer Spring also with no success.

The gun is short stroking and not sure how to fix it besides drill the gas port and run a adjustable gas block.

Gun will run 100 % with a carbine buffer and spikes bcg.... I know, I know but I want to run the low mass carrier.

Any advice would be appreciated. I will attach a pic of my rifle possibly even a video in slo mo.

post-51323-0-46490600-1432512155_thumb.j

post-51323-0-84455100-1432512160_thumb.j

Edited by Oskino

There seems to be some issues with said carriers.

Mine runs fine, but, a friend that also has one does not, in 3 different uppers all with full gas. (no adjustable gas blocks)

ok, so does that mean the there may be a problem with the Voodoo BCG then, because that is what I am leaning towards.

Edited by Oskino

I thought I read something about the gas rings being loose fit inside the carrier.

Gonna try swapping out my spikes Bolt into the Voodoo carrier and see what happens.Heading to the range now

I think Tony may have some of the best advice in the thread. There is NO reason that a lighter bcg should require more gas unless something isn't right with it...

My VooDoo needs more gas to run than a full mass carrier.

Well couldn't get the Voodoo carrier to run, changed out the bolt with my spikes and no success. Mark your comment confuses me because logically if there is enough gas to move a heavier bolt one would think there should be enough gas to move a lighter bolt. The only thing that makes sense to me is that if the voodoo unlocks to quickly, and comes off the gas tube too quick the gas key may not stay in place long enough to take in the gas it needs for it too cycle. Please elaborate.

I am running the 18" nordic barrel with rifle gas, non adjustable gas block, VDI low mass BCG, TTI buffer spring, and rifle buffer with 1 weight and a spacer. I had some issues during the first 100-200 rounds but after that it's been running fine.

I'm running the 18" nordic, full gas (as the nordic full goes), the Voodoo carrier on a RIFLE length recoil tube. It ran like a peach with a standard rifle buffer and spring, and it runs even smoother with a completely empty rifle buffer.

I now that doesn't actually help you, but I guess what I'm saying mine works fine.

Check that your gas block or tube are not obstructed? Any unusual signs of wear inside the upper or on the carrier? Any obstructions inside the gas key?

If you need more gas with the heavier carrier than with the light one, it generally means you are slightly oversprung for the lightweight carrier. While you can increase the gas, reducing the spring preload or spring weight will fix the issue and make the rifle shoot softer. The limitation is of course when it won't strip rounds out of the mag. If you shorten your carbine spring a couple of coils it will run, or you can get a reduced power carbine spring or the JP SCS (the black spring that comes std on the SCS is lighter than std carbine and is tuned for a LMOS BCG.)

Carbine length springs vary all over the place in spring rate and length and the TTI is on the stiff side for a carbine and runs fine in rifle length tubes (1" less preload). I have run my VooDoo LMOS BCG with rifle length tubes mostly, with both a JP SCS (std black spring) and a JP LMOS buffer and TTI spring. It runs at exactly the same gas setting as my Youngs SLC BCG carrier.

Hope that helps you out :cheers:

reptoid, not looking for help, but thanks anyway. I have a pretty good grasp of the AR15 operating system...the springs, buffer, gas block and gas tube alignment are all correct. :cheers:

Mark;

I re-read my post and I guess it sounded like I was aiming that at you. Actually, that wasn't my intent. I would never assume you were looking for help, but I think the OP was and I was just getting the info out there for whomever wanted to learn something.

Most people don't quite understand the physics relationship between weight of the BCG, weight of the buffer, dwell time, amount of gas, and the length/rate of the buffer spring. These things all interact and affect reliability, feel, and cyclic rate. You can make an over-gassed or under-gassed gun function but a gun that hits the sweet spot on gas, reciprocating weight, and spring preload/rate will be softer, smoother, and more reliable. If you change any of those components, it might still run but could probably run better with some tuning on one or more of the other components.

The whole concept of running a lightweight BCG/buffer is to be able to run less gas and less spring to soften the primary and secondary recoil impulses.

When I post something on a public forum anyone is welcome to use the info, learn from the info, tell me what you think is wrong with the info, or just ignore it. :cheers:

If you need more gas with the heavier carrier than with the light one, it generally means you are slightly oversprung for the lightweight carrier. While you can increase the gas, reducing the spring preload or spring weight will fix the issue and make the rifle shoot softer. The limitation is of course when it won't strip rounds out of the mag. If you shorten your carbine spring a couple of coils it will run, or you can get a reduced power carbine spring or the JP SCS (the black spring that comes std on the SCS is lighter than std carbine and is tuned for a LMOS BCG.)

Carbine length springs vary all over the place in spring rate and length and the TTI is on the stiff side for a carbine and runs fine in rifle length tubes (1" less preload). I have run my VooDoo LMOS BCG with rifle length tubes mostly, with both a JP SCS (std black spring) and a JP LMOS buffer and TTI spring. It runs at exactly the same gas setting as my Youngs SLC BCG carrier.

Hope that helps you out :cheers:

Thanks for this info, I'm going to change out my gas block, make sure every thing is lined up correctly and then begin to mess with the buffer spring one coil at a time. Thanks everyone for your input.I'm uploading a youtube video that I recorded the rifle in action in slo mo . Tell me what you guys think.

also went ahead and took off my handguard take a look at the gas block

post-51323-0-35224200-1432940580_thumb.j

post-51323-0-86658400-1432940585_thumb.j

post-51323-0-11065600-1432940863_thumb.j

Edited by Oskino

Did you try it on a different lower w/o a BAD lever?

no i have not, really dont think its the bad lever. Gun runs 100% with spikes bcg

I have the same set up, I found that the gas key on the vdi bcg was hanging up on my gas tube.

interesting