Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P09 trigger improvement

DRichardson

I just finished the trigger job in my new P-09 last night. I polished everything, tweaked the trigger bar spring to lessen the DA stacking, removed 0.008" from the hammer hooks and used the items listed below. I don't have a trigger gauge so I'll have to borrow one, but the DA is sweet and short. The reset is nice and the SA is less than my 1911 Range Officer which pulls at 3.0 lbs. I am guessing SA is 2.5 or so. It is really crisp and tight.

CGW Extended Firing Pin and Spring

CGW Blue Hammer Spring

CGW Short Reset Kit

CGW Trigger Return Spring

I likely won't be able to shoot it until this weekend or maybe early next week as I am waiting for the F/O sights to come in, but dry fire has me excited about the end result.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow these parts a pretty dramatic improvement in trigger pull. I installed the short reset kit, sights, xtra power sear spring, light TRS, and lighter springs. While I don't have a trigger weight gauge, I will say the single action tigger is as light as any of my 2011 or 1911 guns, just not as crisp, but the P09 has a great reset with the CGW parts. Currently I have the blue 13 lbs spring installed but also got a black 11.5 lbs spring to try out. Does any one have any experience with the 11.5 lbs spring in the P09s? I found some federal primers and I assume I'll have to use them with the 11.5 spring, hoping to get by with CCI's ( that's what I normally use for the rest of my guns) and the 13 lbs spring.

I have heard that the trigger bar spring can be tweaked to lighten the DA trigger pull some. How far can you go with this and what symptoms can I look out for while dry firing to see if I have gone too far?

Edited by DRichardson

I made me SA pull crisper by shortening the hammer hooks. I used a file, a mic and lots of time and measuring.

I bent my trigger bar spring down. You can go quite a bit. If you go too far, you'll know it. The trigger won't reset. You can bend it without disassembly by spinning it into the mag well and making the tweaks. It made a difference in DA. No change in SA.

Wow these parts a pretty dramatic improvement in trigger pull. I installed the short reset kit, sights, xtra power sear spring, light TRS, and lighter springs. While I don't have a trigger weight gauge, I will say the single action tigger is as light as any of my 2011 or 1911 guns, just not as crisp, but the P09 has a great reset with the CGW parts. Currently I have the blue 13 lbs spring installed but also got a black 11.5 lbs spring to try out. Does any one have any experience with the 11.5 lbs spring in the P09s? I found some federal primers and I assume I'll have to use them with the 11.5 spring, hoping to get by with CCI's ( that's what I normally use for the rest of my guns) and the 13 lbs spring.

I have heard that the trigger bar spring can be tweaked to lighten the DA trigger pull some. How far can you go with this and what symptoms can I look out for while dry firing to see if I have gone too far?

My guns would never light off anything but federal primers with the 11.5 lb springs and the extended firing pins.

The 13 lb springs with extended firing pins were good to go with Federal, CCI and Winchester.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, so I have put about 750 rounds through my p09 so far and am really liking it. I found enough fed primers for the time being so I am running those with a 11.5 lb spring and haven't had any issues yet ( knock on wood). Haven't done any load development but I am running 4.2 grains of n320 with a 124 (made minor in my old cz75) and the gun feels very good. Tried a few different recoil springs and settled on a 11 lb spring. These guns soak up recoil very well for as light as they are and stay very flat.

Anyone on the fence about any cajun gun works parts, just do it. No problems at all with any of the CGW parts and I have installed about everything he has for this gun. The sights are perfect for me, I like a narrow front sight and these work well for a balance of speed and accuracy.

Still waiting on the rest of my equipment for this gun. I ordered safariland 773 mag pouches and a BOSS holster ( just waiting on BT to deliver the pouch to them). Hopefully if everything is here I'll shoot my first match and classifier in production next weekend.

Alright, so I have put about 750 rounds through my p09 so far and am really liking it. I found enough fed primers for the time being so I am running those with a 11.5 lb spring and haven't had any issues yet ( knock on wood). Haven't done any load development but I am running 4.2 grains of n320 with a 124 (made minor in my old cz75) and the gun feels very good. Tried a few different recoil springs and settled on a 11 lb spring. These guns soak up recoil very well for as light as they are and stay very flat.

Anyone on the fence about any cajun gun works parts, just do it. No problems at all with any of the CGW parts and I have installed about everything he has for this gun. The sights are perfect for me, I like a narrow front sight and these work well for a balance of speed and accuracy.

Still waiting on the rest of my equipment for this gun. I ordered safariland 773 mag pouches and a BOSS holster ( just waiting on BT to deliver the pouch to them). Hopefully if everything is here I'll shoot my first match and classifier in production next weeke

thanks for the update.

Edited by bulm540

I to took and polished the trigger bar and have the CGW parts installed too. Love it. If you go to far with the trigger bar spring you will go to half cock at times. Simple fix just raise the spring up some GTG. I did not mess with the hooks on the trigger but a CZUB Comp hammer is in the very near future

Edited by lstone

Definetly would be interested in hearing your opinion of the cz comp hammer. From what I have read it seems to work with the CGW parts most of the time but there are some post on cz forums where it didn't work out.

I've got one with CZ UB competition hammer, CGW ext firing pin/spring, CGW steel guide rod and 15# flat spring, and polished trigger bar (everything except the short reset CGW parts). Works great - the best fit for me in Production of anything I've tried! Running the 13# main spring since I've got a mix of federal and cci primers with no issues at all - just as reliable as my CZ TS.

I can not get the CZ-UB competition hammer to work in either of my p-09's with CGW parts. I have polished and tried everything

using

CGW Extended Firing Pin and Spring

CGW Blue Hammer Spring 13.5#

CGW Short Reset Kit

CGW Trigger Return Spring

Polished everything.

I am at a loss. Do i have to use the extra power sear spring to get it to work?

bgc

Edited by Bam Bam

What is not working? Won't cock correctly, hammer follows, ect?

Double action works fine. The Single action takes multiple squeezes to get the trigger to go or pushing on the trigger with different torque. When i put the stock hammer back in, no problems.

bgc

Yes to the extra power sear spring. You might have to order a different size da roller if your having timing issues.

The p series are easy to trouble shoot

I tried the CGW oversized roller and CZ-USA oversize roller ( larger than CGW) neither helped with the CZ-UB hammer with the CGW other parts. I wil try again with the heavier Sear spring. CZ-USA has a Omega disconnector #2 that i might try. Could be a tolerance issue with the CGW disconnector and CZ-UB Hammer

BGC

Yes to the extra power sear spring. You might have to order a different size da roller if your having timing issues.

The p series are easy to trouble shoot

I tried the CGW oversized roller and CZ-USA oversize roller ( larger than CGW) neither helped with the CZ-UB hammer with the CGW other parts. I wil try again with the heavier Sear spring. CZ-USA has a Omega disconnector #2 that i might try. Could be a tolerance issue with the CGW disconnector and CZ-UB Hammer

BGC

I just had this issue last night with a stock hammer after installing the CGW short reset kit, 15# hammer spring and CGW oversized roller. I noticed that the roller was loose on the pin and would move back and forth from frame to lifter. Tried reinstalling it three times with no luck. I put the stock roller back in and it worked like a charm.

To add another followup -- I ordered what David told me to, and got it installed today (thanks for the super fast reply and quick shipping!)

91000 hammer
92030 Short reset system
97910 or SPK79 spring kit
97060 Guide Rod
Either a 15RS or 18RS
I also ordered the 5-pack of recoil springs, my P09 is .40 caliber and I shoot minor loads -- around 145 PF right now, which is as low as I can go with most stock guns and get the slide to cycle reliably. Now with an assortment of recoil springs I can finally tune that .40 minor load to what it should be.
I did manage a fair bit of cursing trying to get the sear pin back in, but I didn't break anything, didn't lose any springs or pins, and didn't have to break out the dremel tool or anything drastic. I couldn't figure out what to do with the 2 extra Bicpen springs that come with the 97910 Spring Kit, now I see it's an extra firing pin spring (which I didn't need since the 92030 Short Reset Kit comes with the CGW firing pin and its own spring). The other spring is for the firing pin block plunger.... yeah, I'll get to that eventually. Thinking about ordering some lighter hammer springs too, I have Federal primers but don't use them for anything right now, I'm interested to see how low I can go with my go-to Winchesters.

Trigger is vastly improved, no issues at all in dryfire so I'll try to get to the range tomorrow. I'm thinking i should take out the decocker and reinstall the safety -- I thought I'd read somewhere that the decocker adds to both the DA and SA? I'm just still getting the willies about thumbing the hammer down at Make Ready... I guess I'll get used to it.

The extended firing pin with the 13lb mainspring and I have 0 issues with CCI and Winchester primers.. CGW parts in a 09 rock! contact them and purchase the competition kit and you will be happy. I did polish the trigger bar and a couple of other holes the pins pass through and the result is smooth.. you will be happy

• 1 year later...

I'm going to dig this thread up from the grave. 

My buddy just got one of these, and was asking me what to do with it? What is the most bang for your buck on improving the trigger? With a 13# spring will the gun still pop all primers, or will it take a 13 and an extended FP? 

My initial thought was 13 hammer, 11 recoil, reduced TRS, reduced plunger spring. But reading here makes me wonder if he needs either a heavier main spring or the extended pin.

Edited by Gooldylocks

13 minutes ago, SlvrDragon50 said:

You definitely need the extended firing pin.

Hmmmm. That is a bummer, since he wanted to avoid the extra cost if possible. I will let him know, thanks.

Is that true of all primers, or just for hard foreign/CCI type stuff?

Edited by Gooldylocks

Just now, Gooldylocks said:

Hmmmm. That is a bummer, since he wanted to avoid the extra cost if possible. I will let him know, thanks.

Is that true of all primers, or just for hard foreign/CCI type stuff?

Maybe you can get away with Federal, but I don't see the point of taking that risk. Extended FPs are cheap. It's a one time purchase.

6 minutes ago, race1911 said:

my P-09 with 11lb mainspring and 11lb recoil with extended firing pin and reduced power firing pin spring goes bang every time in thousands of rounds using Federal primers

What about things other than Feds? having a Fed only gun, to me, is silly. Having something that will pop any primer out there is much smarter in my book.