Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.38 Short Colt pet loads?

aandabooks

LCarich

Cutting .38 spl that short means you are into the taper at the base and have bulging cases or problems seating bullets.  Buy Short Colt brass or use .38 Long colt.  Ask me how i know.

Paul Beck

7 hours ago, mchapman said:

158 plated not jacketed, along with 147-150 PC'd and HiTek in 38 short colt and 929 9mm.

Right. I can find plenty of load data for plated/coated/lead, but not jacketed. Was trying to find a shortcut for my friend instead of doing load development, or at least a starting point, but honestly I don't see why it matters because the next match we have with a chronograph is months away.

8 hours ago, swordfish said:

Right. I can find plenty of load data for plated/coated/lead, but not jacketed. Was trying to find a shortcut for my friend instead of doing load development, or at least a starting point, but honestly I don't see why it matters because the next match we have with a chronograph is months away.

New Icore rules say that I have to have chronograph at regionals and at the IRC. So your next one will probably be at the SW REGIONAL in Mesquite, April 28th

13 hours ago, mchapman said:

New Icore rules say that I have to have chronograph at regionals and at the IRC. So your next one will probably be at the SW REGIONAL in Mesquite, April 28th

It's not for me, and my friend isn't shooting the regional.

147 blue bullet (150gr .358) at 1.17 or 147 extreme plated (.357) at 1.16 oal (those are the oal's I get w/o moving the seating adjustment ... the extreme's are a little pointer than the blues) ... w/ 3.7gr Unique ... Starline brass ... roll crimped / just under 130pf. 

The roll crimp is a Lee 37/357 FCD w/ a spacer on top of the crimp sleeve ... (brass leaves a light finger nail type scratch ring on the bullets ... feeds nice ... no inertia movement).

edit: better spelling attempted ... :ph34r:

Edited by pete627

Lee 150 Rn, water dropped, nominally sized to .358 (.3585-.360 after rebound) either coated in Lee Liquid Alox or Hi tek coated ( depending on the time I have to invest), seated to 1.170 and roll crimped into the lube groove using lee 38 short colt dies, then ironed smooth with a 9mm Lee factory crimp die set to not taper crimp.  This is dosed with 3.4 of Bullseye over a Winchester primer ( I can't find Federal).  Makes 900 fps (with an ES of about 21 fps) from my 4 inch 627 pro.  A longer barrel could easily go to 3.2 of Bullseye.  3.2 hovers right at or just below a 125 pf from the 4 inch barrel.  God bless casting, they cost  about a penny a bullet, or 6.5 cents per round if you amortize the case over 10 rounds.... 

Jason

4 hours ago, Makicjf said:

Lee 150 Rn, water dropped, nominally sized to .358 (.3585-.360 after rebound) either coated in Lee Liquid Alox or Hi tek coated ( depending on the time I have to invest), seated to 1.170 and roll crimped into the lube groove using lee 38 short colt dies, then ironed smooth with a 9mm Lee factory crimp die set to not taper crimp.  This is dosed with 3.4 of Bullseye over a Winchester primer ( I can't find Federal).  Makes 900 fps (with an ES of about 21 fps) from my 4 inch 627 pro.  A longer barrel could easily go to 3.2 of Bullseye.  3.2 hovers right at or just below a 125 pf from the 4 inch barrel.  God bless casting, they cost  about a penny a bullet, or 6.5 cents per round if you amortize the case over 10 rounds.... 

Jason

Jason have you ever pulled a bullet after loading and remeasured your diameter? That 9mm FCD might be resizing you bullet in the case.

I have not, but have wondered if the bullets were being swaged down.  even if I use a .357 sizer, they rebound back to .3585-.360.  W/O running through the FCD, I have had random chambering issues.  With it, the only chambering issues is if I miss a moon clip toss.  If I was seeing leading, key holing or poor accuracy, I'd check into it.  The Cast Bullet Gods, as capricious as they can be, seem pleased with this offering I have made for them ( at least in this 627).

I'm loading a bunch over the next few evenings, so I'll measure the case prior to the FCD and after and see how much its changing the dimensions!  I'll post a few pics of before and after the FCD die as well.

As always, YMMV! :)

Jason

• 2 years later...
On 3/20/2018 at 2:21 PM, fishhunter3 said:

160 grain coated RN

3.0 gr clays

federal small pistol match

starline brass

133 PF,  and every one will give you a hard time about shooting mouse fart loads

Mouse farts ?

Ha ha, you funny guy Joe.

I loaded your exact load, and fired some today. At first I thought I was shooting squibs, but I was seeing holes in the target :)

Here's my chrono report

Name: .38 Short Colt: 164gr Bang RN: Clays 3.1gr: OAL 1.20
Notes: S&W 627 5"
Shots: 8
Average: 813 ft/s
SD: 9 ft/s
Min: 795 ft/s
Max: 824 ft/s
Spread: 29 ft/s
Power Factor Average: 133
Power Factor Low: 130
Power Factor High: 135
Barometric Pressure: 30 in Hg
Temperature: 64 F
Weight: 164.0 gr.
Powder: Clays 3.1gr
Bullet: Bang 164gr RN
C.O.A.L.: 1.20
Primer: Fed SPP
Case: Starline

On 11/4/2020 at 5:13 PM, ysrracer said:

Mouse farts ?

Ha ha, you funny guy Joe.

I loaded your exact load, and fired some today. At first I thought I was shooting squibs, but I was seeing holes in the target :)

Here's my chrono report

Name: .38 Short Colt: 164gr Bang RN: Clays 3.1gr: OAL 1.20
Notes: S&W 627 5"
Shots: 8
Average: 813 ft/s
SD: 9 ft/s
Min: 795 ft/s
Max: 824 ft/s
Spread: 29 ft/s
Power Factor Average: 133
Power Factor Low: 130
Power Factor High: 135
Barometric Pressure: 30 in Hg
Temperature: 64 F
Weight: 164.0 gr.
Powder: Clays 3.1gr
Bullet: Bang 164gr RN
C.O.A.L.: 1.20
Primer: Fed SPP
Case: Starline

I understand what he was saying.  I've had more than a few ask me if I make PF, of course they were all Semi-Auto guys never Revolver guys.

Then every once in a while, I change the FS and shoot a stage with my SD practice loads, 125 GD's @ 1450 f/s for 181 pf, and then ask them if that explosion behind the RO had any ejecta matter in it?

• 1 month later...
On 5/14/2015 at 6:41 AM, jhgtyre said:

someone said "turn the orange one around so the little window in the front is in the back." 

Yep, I got the same tip from a Facebook group. It works flawlessly as long as you use the 9mm case feed body bushing and 9mm case feed arm bushing...

....Yes I know this thread is five years old. I'm a little behind the curve :)