Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.38 Short Colt pet loads?

aandabooks

Not finding much for load data in my books. Bullet will be S&S 160gr coated RN. Gun is a S&W 627PC with 5" barrel. I have the following powders available in small to moderate quantities:

AA#2, 5, 7 and 9. Bullseye, True Blue, Competition, CFE Pistol, WST, Powder Pistol, Blue Dot and Solo 1000.

I did find some factory Remington 125gr RN lead cartidges that I'm going to shoot for the brass. Otherwise, I have 300 rds of Starline on the way. If I get good results I'll get more brass.

Edited by aandabooks

Starline is a great choice. Get TK Customs moon clips. I use Clay-Dot.... 2.9grns, 1.197 O.A.L. 160grn Bayou Bullets

Edited by UFO

I primarily use UFO's load - 160gr Bullets with 2.9-3.0 grains of Clay Dot at 1.200 for 128pf for cast LRN, and about 132pf for Bayou Bullets. It is a nice soft shooting load, super clean, no sticky extractions, and accurate enough.

My very close second favorite is American Select ( 160 LRN, 1.200" OAL, 3.2gr = about 130 PF). Almost as clean as Clay Dot - just a light gray soot that wipes off easily - and it shoots soft, also. I've loaded this powder up to 142 power factor with no pressure issues.

Have also used ww452AA (discontinued), which is similar to WST, and it is a good shooting and accurate load but much dirtier. ( 160 LRN, 1.200" OAL, 3.8gr = about 132 PF)

I have also had good results with ( 147 Blue Bullet, 1.200" OAL, 3.6gr = about 130 PF). Not quite as soft shooting as the 160 grain bullets, but better accuracy for me.

I have one lonely pound of Solo1k left and was thinking of trying it in the short colts. If you have a bunch of it that might be a great choice, in my experience with other calibers it is a lot like American Select.

Of the powders the OP mentioned I'd look at AA#2, WST, BE, and Solo 1K.

Loading up gradually with a chronograph while looking for pressure signs is a must. With these low charge weights and fast powders it is easy to get over pressure issues.

Anyone loading Short Colt's on a 650? If so what color case feeder attachment is being used? The orange 38 special one is not working well for me.

take the green 9mm one, and drill it out a little bit till the shorts fit through. ( still works with 9mm afterwards )

Edited by alecmc

Anyone loading Short Colt's on a 650? If so what color case feeder attachment is being used? The orange 38 special one is not working well for me.

After much pontification and discussion, during which I recommended using the one for the 40 cal (purple one?), someone said "turn the orange one around so the little window in the front is in the back." That is what I do on my 650 now and it has worked very well for me.

OP if your using Remington Brass give Revolver Supply 0.025 moon clips a try. I picked up a case of Remington 38 Short Colts last year and that combination works almost as nice as Star Line and TK moon clips.

remvsstarside.jpg

Left: Starline brass & Revolver Supply Moonclips Right: Remington brass and & Revolver Supply Moonclips

I am using the 40S&W one and it works pretty well.

My problem is when a case gets sideways in the funnel at the top of the case feeder. Anyone got a slick fix for that problem?

After much pontification and discussion, during which I recommended using the one for the 40 cal (purple one?), someone said "turn the orange one around so the little window in the front is in the back." That is what I do on my 650 now and it has worked very well for me.

I've tried all of these but the drilled out 9mm. That's probably going to be the best route to take.

I'm currently using a .40SW sleeve and it does work. My 650 seems to be uber sensitive to the case feed adjustment and handle speed used. Drops a case too early or not at all. It takes awhile to get it dialed in and it's an extremely fine line. The .38sp turned around backwards didn't work for me because it keeps changing angles from the cases dropping. But once you get it tweaked it runs pretty good, just keep your cadence consistent, but aren't we supposed to be doing that anyway? :sick:

Edit: O/P another powder to look at, if you can find it, is Alliant e3. It's fast like N310 and Red Dot but not "peaky" like Clays. It's pretty forgiving. Super clean and not temp sensitive either.

Edited by Shadowrider

I've tried all of these but the drilled out 9mm. That's probably going to be the best route to take.

I'm currently using a .40SW sleeve and it does work. My 650 seems to be uber sensitive to the case feed adjustment and handle speed used. Drops a case too early or not at all. It takes awhile to get it dialed in and it's an extremely fine line. The .38sp turned around backwards didn't work for me because it keeps changing angles from the cases dropping. But once you get it tweaked it runs pretty good, just keep your cadence consistent, but aren't we supposed to be doing that anyway? :sick:

Edit: O/P another powder to look at, if you can find it, is Alliant e3. It's fast like N310 and Red Dot but not "peaky" like Clays. It's pretty forgiving. Super clean and not temp sensitive either.

Which case feed plate are you using? FWIW I am using the small pistol case feed plate and I don't have a problem with the brass coming into the tube upside down (it happens VERY rarely).

I use the red one (.45ACP), works perfectly.

Not finding much for load data in my books. Bullet will be S&S 160gr coated RN. Gun is a S&W 627PC with 5" barrel. I have the following powders available in small to moderate quantities:

AA#2, 5, 7 and 9. Bullseye, True Blue, Competition, CFE Pistol, WST, Powder Pistol, Blue Dot and Solo 1000.

I did find some factory Remington 125gr RN lead cartidges that I'm going to shoot for the brass. Otherwise, I have 300 rds of Starline on the way. If I get good results I'll get more brass.

3.1 grains Bullseye with 160g Bayou RN @1.17" OAL works well for me, makes minor PF from 4" 627

Not one of the OP powders but my load:

Bullet: 160 gr RN IbejiHeads

Case: Star Line or Remington

Primer: Federal Small

Powder: 3.3 gr Titegroup

OAL: 1.19

Very little crimp, made a 140PF

In my 627 I tried .356 lead bullets in 125, 135, and 160 grains and did not get good accuracy, and even got some keyholes

Went to .357/.358 sized lead and accuracy improved significantly, and no more keyholing.

I haven't shot jacketed out of my 627.

What size bullets are you guys running I find I'm having better accuracy with .355 and .356 out of my 5" 627s with titegroup and starline shorts

I had good luck with MG .355 124 JHP's and titegroup. But no luck with any Jacketed/Plated RN/FN in .355 or .356.

Best groups came with .358 Coated bullets above 150 grains and .357 Jacketed bullets.above 150 grains.

Berrys has a .356 elongated plated bullet that gave me the best accuracy I'm currently using MG 124gr hp .355 with great accuracy this is at 20-25 yards with the Berry's .356 elongated this is an 8shot group with short colt and 3.4gr titegroup

post-54562-0-30207200-1431998624_thumb.j

• 4 weeks later...

Not one of the OP powders but my load:Bullet: 160 gr RN IbejiHeadsCase: Star Line or RemingtonPrimer: Federal SmallPowder: 3.3 gr TitegroupOAL: 1.19Very little crimp, made a 140PF

This is almost identical to my load except I use Berry's plated.

• 2 years later...