Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Most Desired Revolver for Classic Div?

What is the most common or most desired revolver for ICORE Classic Division?

I suspect the Safariland Comp III speedloaders are most common and/or the best?

In Limited Division, I shoot a M627 with .38 Short Colt ammo. Love it.

Never paid much attention to Classic Division equipment, but now I'm thinking about it.

I have shot my M24-3 .44 Special (3" barrel) a few times, but I don't get along so good with my modified Comp II speedloaders (modified with a larger knob to grab.) Too bad they don't make the Comp III in .44 Special.

Appreciate comments!

Thanks. I was thinking about the M686.

Since I'm already an N frame shooter (M625 and M627), I wonder if an N frame six-shot .38/.357 would be preferable for me. The old M27 maybe.

I better start talking with our ICORE Classic Div shooters!

I would think that the 686 cylinder would be a little more desirable because the holes are closer together than the N frame 357s. That's something you hear commonly from the IDPA ssr guys, the K frame guns have a little more consistent reload due to closer holes. The 686 just gives the sight radius you want for icore, and the extra weight doesn't hurt in a more accuracy based game like that.

I did spot a brand new 686+ at the shop the other day with a 7" barrel, and it swung around nicely when I compared it to the 6". Cylinder and hand swap and you'd have something different than the other classic guys.

Availability of Comp III and/or Jet loaders would be my criteria for picking a gun. I'm thinking a K or L frame with a longer than 4" barrel should work just fine. A GP100 will work, too. That said, I'm building a 6" 686 for classic right now to take over for my 4" 686 IDPA gun.

Before I bought an M27, I'd make sure I had the SL variant speedloaders in hand from Bob Macs first. It could be years before they're in stock again. Either that or just use the whole deal as an exercise to learn to use HKS loaders well and don't worry too much about winning.

You might want to look at the six inch GP-100 that has the interchangeable front sight feature. GP-100s are easy to home tune to a very smooth 8 pound DA pull. Wilson Combat and Wolffe both make drop in spring kits that are under $12. The 9 pound hammer and 8 pound trigger return spring give me a 8 pound DA pull. Hi-Vis makes a great drop in FO front sight. I use it and the Bowen Rough Country rear sight.

ICORE is very accuracy oriented, and I find the 6 inch GP-100 has 50 yard X-ring accuracy with any decent load, and the longer sight radius and barrel underlug make it easy to stay on target for multiple shots. It uses L-frame speedloaders, and Blade Tech makes holsters for it.

It doesn't take much to make this a very serious ICORE gun, and for noticeably less money than an S&W.

• 6 months later...

I know this is an old thread but I second the above opinion on a GP100. I have a 6 inch model that was my first revolver and it's been a great shooter. It runs 100% on every brand of primer at around 7.5lbs in DA. I will likely run it in classic for a match or two this coming year. I wouldn't trade it for any 6 shot 357 S&W.

I know this is an old thread but I second the above opinion on a GP100. I have a 6 inch model that was my first revolver and it's been a great shooter. It runs 100% on every brand of primer at around 7.5lbs in DA. I will likely run it in classic for a match or two this coming year. I wouldn't trade it for any 6 shot 357 S&W.

Not enough Rugers in ICORE. I admire anyone up to the challenge.

I would think that a 6" 686 or 6" model 15 would be about perfect for it. I've got a 4" model 64 that works alright, but I wouldn't mind a 6" model 15. However since I am used to a 4" 686 for limited I would probably stick to the same frame size for the similar feel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not enough Rugers in ICORE. I admire anyone up to the challenge.

I plan to shoot at least one ICORE match with my 6" GP in classic next year, I'm also shooting a 3" GP in IDPA BUG since my 625 is way past IDPA legal and perfect for Limited 6.

• 6 months later...

For ICORE I shoot the 5" 686 PC. Much easier to swing from target to target than the full 6" 686.

I use the Safriland 333 holders, but the aluminum pop rivets give out on me. When I see one getting loose, I rip it out and Epoxy it back in place clamping it tightly. I also cut away most of the back so there are just two small straps to go around the belt. Comp III speed loaders.

IDPA different game. Use a 4" 686 PC. I use the smaller HKS twist speed loaders. Seems more "proper" for the game. I utilize the plastic individual speed loader holders for this competition.

K frame, L frame, or Match GP 100. Be hard to go wrong with any of these. I had always been a S&W fan, but after trying a friends Match GP 100, I could be swayed to shoot the Ruger.

Currently, I run a Model 15 , with Bubberized Comp III's