Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Best USPSA Production Pistol

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

I tried to quote the guy who said Dillon 1050 but it got lost somewhere. If you don't reload already that's the best way to get better. IMO

Edited by 19852

The SIG P320 is very competitive now and will see additional competition-centric improvements in the near future. It know a guy who just made GM in Production while shooting one and it's proving to absolutely be a platform that can win.

Who made Production GM with a 320?

The SIG P320 is very competitive now and will see additional competition-centric improvements in the near future. It know a guy who just made GM in Production while shooting one and it's proving to absolutely be a platform that can win.

Mason Lane and A.J. Stuart are both currently awaiting Production GM cards based on shoot classifiers with the P320. I can let you know when that becomes official but it should hopefully be on the next classifier database update. If not then than it will be soon as these guys are outstanding shooters. Until recently Mason, who is a Junior shooter, has actually been shooting a stock P320 to win overall at local matches and compete at a high level in IDPA. At this year's IDPA Indoor Nationals he was high Junior, Second SSP Master and received the Most Accurate distinction for the entire match. Looking at scores combined across all divisions it looks to me like he would have been fifth overall behind Vogel, Nils, Wright, and another guy. He now shoots a P320 which as had trigger work, sights, and recoil system tuned by GGI.

Edited by alma

Being the OP, I took everybody's advise and shot the M&P Pro, HK VP9 and the CZ SP-01 Accu-Shadow.

This is just my observation ... using WWB 115gr (it's what I had)

M&P Pro was nice, adding the Apex Kit made it really nice, accuracy was good.

HK VP9 was very nice, no trigger work really required (there is a triger kit available now), accuracy was great. I'm keeping this pistol as a carry option.

CZ Accu-Shadow was amazing (took time to get use to the DA/SA), has an amazing trigger, accuracy was amazing. This ended up being my USPSA Production choice.

If anyone is looking for a great deal on a M&P Pro or a M&P Pro CORE, let me know. Less than 500 rounds through each.

• 2 weeks later...

What kind of results are you folks seeing accuracy wise with polymer production guns?

Am thinking about getting a new barrel & similar tweaks made to an XD but kind of hesitant because so far I can't find anyone who tells me anything beyond "$200 for a new match barrel" . I'm assuming that the polymers all have about the same potential, and that there is no big accuracy winner anywhere on the approved gun list, but that may be a bad guess.

What kind of results are you folks seeing accuracy wise with polymer production guns?

Am thinking about getting a new barrel & similar tweaks made to an XD but kind of hesitant because so far I can't find anyone who tells me anything beyond "$200 for a new match barrel" . I'm assuming that the polymers all have about the same potential, and that there is no big accuracy winner anywhere on the approved gun list, but that may be a bad guess.

I got as good or better accuracy with coated lead bullets out of my Gen 4 Glock as I do out of my CZ 75 SP-01. The stock plastic guns should be good enough out of the box accuracy-wise for this sport.

I've got a bone stock XDm (9mm 4.5" barrel) that will ring an 18" steel plate at 217 yards at least 6 times out of 10. Thats me shooting freestyle.

Maybe I got lucky with that one and the stack up is just right, but its accurate. I'm affraid to do anything to it so as not to have that accuracy potential get ruined.

Some guns may have more inherent accuracy due to the timing of the firing sequence, but I'll second what johnsons1480 said, they'll all shoot MOA (minute of A-zone) if you do your part.

I would add that if youre looking at CZ's versus accurate polymer guns, have a look at the P-09's. I've heard they can be more accurate than shadows

The stock plastic guns should be good enough out of the box accuracy-wise for this sport.

I used to think like that, but it seems like now days you run into the occasional 35 yard shots with some hard cover & tight shots between no-shoots & etc. Agree that you don't need great precision most of the time, but if a production gun will let you feel confident with the really tough shots that is what I want.

The stock plastic guns should be good enough out of the box accuracy-wise for this sport.

I used to think like that, but it seems like now days you run into the occasional 35 yard shots with some hard cover & tight shots between no-shoots & etc. Agree that you don't need great precision most of the time, but if a production gun will let you feel confident with the really tough shots that is what I want.

While I would love an accu shadow, my SP-01 is what I can afford. It's about $800 more gun for 1% of the shots. Spend your money where you want, mine goes to bullets to get the skills to make those shots.

I will also put my hat in for the p320 as well. Great recoil characteristics. Tracks well. Much more accurate than a stock g34 (2-3in, 5 shot groups at 25 yards). Slide lock functions as a production-legal *thumb rest [generic]*. Inexpensive.

Slide lock functions as a production-legal *thumb rest [generic]*. Inexpensive.

What? Yah sure, if you thumb is only 1/8 of an inch wide.

Wow, now you guys are just coming up with BS compliments for that gun.

It's really a Glock 34 or 17. We all try difference models for various reasons. Competitive nature maybe?

In the end, it's Glock.

I'm more than happy to be the first person to strongly disagree with you.

It's really a Glock 34 or 17. We all try difference models for various reasons. Competitive nature maybe?

In the end, it's Glock.

I'm more than happy to be the first person to strongly disagree with you.

I second that. I will vehemently disagree with that statement. Are blocks bad? No. Do I like them? No. Can I shoot them? Unfortunately, all too well...

*mutters something about the indian*

Ever get the ACCU running right?

Yeah, I'm at about year three (with two years really disrupted by grad school) in action shooting sports and I'm still unconvinced that the type of gun a shooter uses is a major differentiator. There are certainly types firearms more suited to others for optimal performance in particular divisions, but it still really strikes me as largely personal preference and what sort of gun/trigger really connects with the shooter being the primary factor.

Looked into getting a Springfield XD upgraded, barrel-sights-trigger, at the usual places (Springfield custom, Springer precision, etc). Cost gets upwards of $600.00 + the new gun cost fairly quick.

Was a bit shocked because I couldn't find anyone who would tell me what accuracy they would guarantee and none of the folks I talked with even bothered to group test XD's after installing match barrels & etc.. One outfit sounded like they did not even have the facilities (Ransom rest or equivalent) for accuracy testing. Did find one outfit that was willing to provide me with a group test, but they had the courage to tell me that they would charge an additional $100.00 for what I think of as very basic and neccessary quality control that a customer should not have to ask for. My suspicion is that the results must not be something that can be bragged about or else are a bit hit and miss (no pun intended :) ), although there may be some other reason for not defining what accuracy the customer is paying for and I just can not figure it out.

Got irritated enough to start looking at other guns, and talked with a master class USPSA shooter a bit today (he says it is both the Indian and the arrow) about his CZ , and then started peaking on their website.

Saw this "Ransom Rest testing at 50 yards with Fiocchi 125 JHP (A ZERO bullet) has proved group of less than 3” compared with a factory new gun at about 5.0”. At 25 yards the groups were around 1.2” a one-hole group."

I don't know if the CZ is the best USPSA production pistol, and $1700 for top of the line is absolutely a big chunk of change, but I guess that is what I will buy if I ever take the plunge.

Just following up on this one. A.J. Stuart just officially made Production GM while shooting his SIG P320.

http://uspsa.org/uspsa-classifer-lookup-results.php?Submit=Lookup&number=a69262

*mutters something about the indian*

Ever get the ACCU running right?

Yeah, I'm at about year three (with two years really disrupted by grad school) in action shooting sports and I'm still unconvinced that the type of gun a shooter uses is a major differentiator. There are certainly types firearms more suited to others for optimal performance in particular divisions, but it still really strikes me as largely personal preference and what sort of gun/trigger really connects with the shooter being the primary factor.

I have to agree here. I think what's best is if the shooter picks a gun he/she thinks they shoot well and is reliable and just STICKS WITH IT! I've seen guys who should be classified higher but they just keep changing guns chasing the perfect unicorn, but then there are A, M and GMs running with Glocks. Really, the gun (if it fits you) is less important than practicing with it and getting all those other skills in place.

But, we're gun nuts and we like guns so ...

I have to agree here. I think what's best is if the shooter picks a gun he/she thinks they shoot well and is reliable and just STICKS WITH IT! I've seen guys who should be classified higher but they just keep changing guns chasing the perfect unicorn, but then there are A, M and GMs running with Glocks. Really, the gun (if it fits you) is less important than practicing with it and getting all those other skills in place.

But, we're gun nuts and we like guns so ...

This is one of those things I wonder about.

I think Rob Leatham won the single stack nationals and the revolver nationals on the same weekend, & there are other examples of folks competing at the very top level with multiple platforms ???

I don't know if it is a great ones versus mere mortals thing, or if perhaps swapping guns a bit is not a very harmful thing.

Reading some posts here I have to just laugh "just buy this, just buy that"

What do you want out of your gun. What sports do you want to shoot, and what features do you want?

Heavy flat shooting gun... ( and heavy i mean boat anchor) you have Tangfo and CZ

Light fast handling guns ( glock, XD, M&P, Grand power)

You have a balance in so many things to get the perfect gun for you.

I found a balance of these things in the Grand Power K100 X-Trim. ( many folks get the X-Calibur) But for me, I wanted one i could shoot IDPA with too. Shooting it compared to a Tangfo, Recoil is a slighlty different feel, but just as light with a gun I can push around a lot more to get the transition and feel I want... It's a gun i can have a CCW gun almost identical to without carrying around a boat anchor.

To me Accuracy is extremely important, I am not in the position where the gun is more accurate than me with about 3/4 of the guns on the production market... the Grand Power can keep up with or beat me on accuracy.

Whichever gun you pick. just pick ONE switching guns drastically slowed my development as a shooter.. I love different and new toys but it's not conducive to building skills as fast when your relearning your platform every 3 months.